Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Anyone suffer badly with Hayfever?

mb018538

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has any golden advice for Hayfever. I suffer really badly with it from March right through to maybe October/November. Only in the very depths of winter do I get a bit of a break!

I take one Loratadine tablet a day, and use nasal spray morning and night. This doesn't really relieve all of my symptoms, I still get a blocked and stuffy nose, and find that once we get towards summer a combination of increased heat and constantly spraying medication up my nose can leave me really susceptible to nosebleeds (which is a common side effect of long term nasal spray use). So I'm usually left playing nosebleed roulette - do I have a rubbish day with a blocked nose, or try and blow my nose and have it bleed everywhere even if I'm fairly gentle with it.

I've tried both Loratadine and Cetirizine and don't find one any better than the other. I also bought a red light therapy device with two prongs that go up your nose which is supposed to relieve symptoms - well, it didn't work for me! 

Is there anything better I'm missing out on? It makes summer less enjoyable for sure, which is a shame as its my favourite season. Immunotherapy seems like a route to go down, but is quite hard to access at the moment.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted

Always suffered far, far less when I lived on the coast. Seabreezes bringing in all that pollen free air I guess. So a really radical remedy might be a move to a coastal location.

I wash my hair every evening to get rid of the pesky pollen and find that that also helps. Beyond that though it's just a real pain in the butt and I take daily Cetirizine from now through to October.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Which nasil spray do you use?

Pirinase one works for me. Can't use bekonase or whatever it's call at all. Hurts my nose and causes red eye. 

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
    On 22/04/2021 at 10:11, alexisj9 said:

Which nasil spray do you use?

Pirinase one works for me. Can't use bekonase or whatever it's call at all. Hurts my nose and causes red eye. 

I've been using Beconase, but don't get much relief to be honest. Really spoils spring and summer for me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
    52 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I've been using Beconase, but don't get much relief to be honest. Really spoils spring and summer for me!

Try the other one, I find it much softer on the nose, and also works better. Everyone is different mind, so no promises.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extremes

This year I have been putting a little smear of Vaseline just inside each nostril. The idea is that some of the pollen sticks to it so relieving your symptoms. It does seem to work, although it does need replacing on a regular basis when you blow your nose and does not look too elegant if you use too much. I've mainly been using it at night so it doesn't matter 😄 

One thing that is noticeable, if you do use it during the day and spend a few hours outside, when you blow your nose you can see the amount of other rubbish that is in the air 😮 

Edited by Bob G
    Profanity filter!

• 1 month later...
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything except blazing hot summers!
    On 22/04/2021 at 08:58, Kiwi said:

Always suffered far, far less when I lived on the coast. Seabreezes bringing in all that pollen free air I guess. So a really radical remedy might be a move to a coastal location.

I wash my hair every evening to get rid of the pesky pollen and find that that also helps. Beyond that though it's just a real pain in the butt and I take daily Cetirizine from now through to October.

Yes, I suffer really badly with grass pollen, so that is typically last week in May through to first or second week in July. It seemed to start late though this year as I wasn't affected until first week in June.

Medication helps a little, and Cetirizine is my antihistamine of choice.

However I have found the best approach for me in recent years is preventative measures - ie prevent the pollen getting into me in the first place. First of all I wear Woodyknows nasal filters (available from Amazon). You clip these to your nose, and the idea is they filter the pollen as you breathe, so it makes sense that if the pollen doesn't get into your nose, you won't get an allergic reaction.

The other thing I do is give up alcohol for 6 weeks. There was an blog on the Met Office web site some time ago that advised that alcohol stimulates the production of histmine in the body, histamines setting off the allergic reaction. So no alcohol = less histamine production = lesser chance of allergic reaction. Heineken 0.0 is highly recommended by the way and light years ahead of the likes of Kaliber from years gone by.

I've also read about reducing dairy intake during peak grass pollen season but I haven't done that.

Another good tip is a Neilmed Nasal Rinse - if you can imagine your nose and sinsuses being full of pollen etc, then rinsing out does help. I do this a couple of times a day when it's really bad.

I've seen a couple of other things such as Haymax balm under the nose to "trap" pollen, but I've done this before and it doesn't work for me, and also an acupuncture band that goes around the elbow and supposedly focuses on a pressure point that stops the reaction. These have reasonably good review on Amazon, but I am sceptical about things like that.

In summary, June is a pretty miserable month for me and I will glad when July comes and the grass pollen season starts to decline. Also any grey, damp and cool days in June are most welcome. I like nice sunny days like everyone, but much prefer them mid-July onwards 🙂

Edited by Paul_1978

Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)

in all my years and i see lots of adverts for pollen and hay fever etc..i have never met anyone who suffers from hay fever..how common can it be?

Posted

might be an old wives tale but they say having local produced honey however you like it in hot water with fresh lemon or spread on toast etc seems to help symptoms.

Posted
    2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

in all my years and i see lots of adverts for pollen and hay fever etc..i have never met anyone who suffers from hay fever..how common can it be?

Really? I know a lot of people who have it. A quick search reveals that 16 million people in the UK have hayfever. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. 

Posted
    10 hours ago, suffolk lady said:

might be an old wives tale but they say having local produced honey however you like it in hot water with fresh lemon or spread on toast etc seems to help symptoms.

Yes it is an urban myth unfortunately. I've looked at everything, and this one has been officially written off as not having any effect at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
    14 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

odd... i think most people are affected by pollen in some way or another. Usually quite mild.

I used to get it really badly, sore eyes, sore throat, running nose, even nosebleeds... I took nothing, did nothing, now at 64 im free from it..

• Like 1

Posted
    On 16/06/2021 at 16:59, Paul_1978 said:

Really? I know a lot of people who have it. A quick search reveals that 16 million people in the UK have hayfever. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. 

yes really...at school, college, work , family and friends i have never met anyone who suffers from hayfever either in the UK or here in Canada..16 million is a third of the population so why do i not know anyone who suffers from it??

Posted
    17 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

yes really...at school, college, work , family and friends i have never met anyone who suffers from hayfever either in the UK or here in Canada..16 million is a third of the population so why do i not know anyone who suffers from it??

Yes it’s strange that. I’m forever hearing people in the street sneezing and sniffling in high summer, and know quite a few people who get it badly like me. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I get it quite badly in June. A few days ago in the heat was pretty bad. Grass pollen in certain areas determine how bad it is. 

When I go abroad however, to say Spain or Greece where it’s more arid, it seems to disappear.