Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 9th April onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Muy Caliente, Muy Soleado
2 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

A few of us have been mentioning it for a fair few days now regarding an improving situation,and it finally appears that the ops are smelling the Nescafe! Much better ridging in place with the Jet taking a hike further North...this would implie settled conditions and a gradual warming to become evident! Infact the chances of much warmer spells eventually....dare I say the H word?? HOT HOT HOT wouldn't rule it out towards mid month for sure.

Enjoy your week's folks and hopefully proper Summer just around the corner now! Hoorahh the lads.

giphy (3).gif

gfs-0-120.png

gfs-0-144.png

gfs-0-192.png

gfs-0-216.png

gfs-0-240.png

gfs-0-264.png

gfs-1-240.png

TdtBMS.gif

Fingers crossed as these models always find a way to kick you in the nuts the closer you get to a reliable timeframe. And can I just say:

The kop has something they want you to know,

The best in the world is Bobby Firmino.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.eac9e356a65ba708dd9ea36f3a8e5bde.png

I think this is the classic UK summer chart that most people would think of - Azores high building in from the SW with low pressure back towards where it should be in July. We just need this trend to start pulling back to day 9/8/7/6 through this week and we should be good for settled weather around mid-month (which is what teleconnections have progged as a potential return to better conditions since the last week of June).

Id more than take this on my bday/ St Swithuns Day be good! Still only seen any rain twice ever in my 34 years of existence though apparently it rained on my first or 2nd bday too and the rest of summer was a washout. This year Im up in Skegness for a holiday so this is perfect. Last year was a bit chilly in July when I went

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Oh look! The GEFS 06Z ensembles are okay. But there is tad more uncertainty lurking: 

t850Bedfordshire.png    t2mBedfordshire.png

• Like 7

Posted

GFS 12z not looking good at day 8 possibility of more rain instead of the HP of the previous 2 runs.

GFSOPEU12_198_1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
25 minutes ago, JayAlmeida said:

GFS 12z not looking good at day 8 possibility of more rain instead of the HP of the previous 2 runs.

GFSOPEU12_198_1.png

.......... Just because its the latest run, doesnt mean its more accurate..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
30 minutes ago, JayAlmeida said:

GFSOPEU12_198_1.png

Wouldn’t worry too much. GEM is still settled. If we get cross model agreement on one or the other it’s a different story, but at the moment nothing to cause alarm.

26 minutes ago, JayAlmeida said:

GFSOPEU12_198_1.png

Actual lol….

Personally I think UKMO is meh, upper troughs all over the place, that isn’t settling down too quickly.

GEM clearly the best of the output and manages to get high pressure in for a few days however I’d have little confidence of that coming off until it’s at least another 4 or 5 days the line. 

26 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Wouldn’t worry too much. GEM is still settled. If we get cross model agreement on one or the other it’s a different story, but at the moment nothing to cause alarm.

I know what you mean but the differences are quite alarming, again I know people don’t like me saying it but again model uncertainty rarely leads to long settled spells….

Edited by Alderc

Posted

Yeah sorry guys I was just posting the latest GFS run in the model output discussion thread. Could very well be an outlier but interesting nonetheless.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I know what you mean but differences are alarming, again I know people don’t like me saying but again model uncertainty rarely leads to long settled spells….

I think there is some truth in this, Chris.  The models are generally less accurate in summer than winter in the northern hemisphere, that can be clearly seen in the verification stats going back decades.  However, settled spells involve anticyclones, which for the UK are probably the exception rather than the rule in summer.  And anticyclones tend to move slowly, so predictive capability in the models would tend to increase as one noses in.   

Set against that is the recent rather sudden predicted resurge in AAM though, so it isn’t quite a level playing field in this particular setup.  The GEM is a good run, but it isn’t a straightforward evolution to a high pressure dominated setup, with that cut off low floating about, and models are handling that different.  

animulx3.gif

So still uncertainty, but I think on balance one would have to favour the kind of evolution shown by the GEM over the GFS, but more runs needed.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 hour ago, JayAlmeida said:

GFSOPEU12_198_1.png

Yes the 12z gfs for a lot of the time  keeps the Azores hp stuck over the...erm..Azores and further west at times. There is still so much uncertainty in my opinion that we cannot be sure of any particular outcome at present. As MP says: more runs needed....

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Good run so far from ECM, T192 and we’re almost home and hosed!

673F250C-0DA5-468C-B3FD-AD429DC2D8B4.thumb.gif.7f1593009209ecf6e85868421c152297.gif

Please be true

Posted

Nice to see that the GFS 12Z operational run is an outlier, in at least two places:

t850Bedfordshire.png     t2mBedfordshire.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM mean very promising, T240:

FB7C42E1-08FD-428A-BD17-533354173120.thumb.gif.c47ccc3e8219dd8ca44e0a88e1be277d.gif

And the spread gives the truth to the likely jet stream pattern, which will give the high pressure from the Azores the chance to properly ridge:

DB07FC72-161F-4DAD-8A96-2164B291469F.thumb.jpeg.279329722c980dcb751bceb3768b06f4.jpeg

On balance, some uncertainty still, but looking ever more optimistic for summer proper within 10 days to me…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

Not sure about anything ECM related at the moment, but the latest 46 fits the mid-late July expectation framework quite neatly:

Week 2

image.thumb.png.03e490315cdbbfe6ed4a45b63e8d4ab7.png
Week 3

image.thumb.png.6d06db0e3be2e9b68110beb99a209d96.png

Week 4

image.thumb.png.5a1fc51001495e792c81579917aa9060.png

Weeks 2, 3, 4 and 5 temps above average, except week 2 in the SE.

Whilst not in itself a guarantee of dry settled weather (renegade troughs can still loiter) the regimes continue to strongly signal blocking as the dominant regime in the weeks ahead...

image.thumb.png.49a6bebd5ee4968bececd6e97bc74a35.png

The positive anomalies on the NOAA 8-14 still look on the weak side, but it still looks like a BL pattern with a benign SW flow.

image.thumb.gif.6d083ca23c1707f9c3521a715a46ce11.gif

The GEFS are unconvincing and there’s evidently a chance of ending up with more of a less inspiring showery westerly pattern.

image.thumb.png.b4c1793a3e7f5ecac6b1c5418d7b947e.png

This despite a far stronger rise in AAM.

Interesting too that the 46 manifested 3/4 weeks of settled weather from very little Eastward movement of the MJO. Not the only driver of course. Sadly I don’t have access to the GWO phase space charts.

image.thumb.png.353a68a9dc4c4fd41b86135de089fe4f.png

There’s still something of a tease about the medium range output at present, most protracted HP spells I remember are forecast coherently and this one isn’t yet so  I for one am not buying it until the signal gets stronger. 

• Like 8

Posted

Entering the time of year when it becomes harder I feel to fight off the atlantic, tropical storm activity can suddenly surface - or should I say the NW-SE divide surfaces. I'm not convinced yet we will see a predominantly settled outlook despite some of today's charts.. - we shall see.. need the trends to stick for a few days yet.. not saying we won't see a settled spell, but I urge caution.

• Like 2

Posted

image.thumb.png.332b4fda50c8ea45b537617ed8e39f6e.pngimage.thumb.png.f97c30a8d78f9d28bf690291b1d1cfbf.png

Hmmmmmmm......

Not an overly convincing UKMO run today, which now develops a fully blown low rather than more of a shallow feature.

Further delays on the model output for getting high pressure in properly though. Yesterday it was looking like perhaps Thursday next week, GFS now pushes this to nearly 2 weeks time:

image.thumb.png.3bb87f93b5e946b1d85ef8395f53223f.png

GEM not really there either by Friday:

image.thumb.png.57d521fb79904536663abe7e0dbce42d.png

• Like 5

Well the output has again gone downhill, any signs of a decent settled spell are at best 10days out and it more looks like the fourth straight weekend of complete cloud cover and precipitation. Had to see where any warmth is going to come from at this rate. At the holiday situation is much improved with last night’s announcements so going to bail out from the UK a couple of times before the end of September. 

Posted

The GFS seems to be struggling with the outlook . . . But, isn't that HP at Day 15 looking great!

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 9

ECM completely has completely capitulated this morning towards the GFS mess. Just look at the start of next week now ‍?️ 

AAAB6D5A-4AF5-470C-A4C2-9BCA0657CA35.thumb.png.f6fedeeb47e77bc014d353680b67e633.png

Posted

Looks like we're going to have to wait a bit longer to potentially get high pressure building in. A bit like the pattern change in late May, sometimes a bit of patience is required! Direction of travel is good though. Look at Saturday - Azores high retracted and no chance of anything settled here:

image.thumb.png.b6b5f334c30aa5b4fe71770a183dcb9d.png

Fast forward to the end of next week - and finally we have a bit of movement. Trough pushing east, and the Azores high poised and ready:

image.thumb.png.947a4e86465403175ca63001be40ac14.pngimage.thumb.png.af3eb7356bdda4d61f266cf916dd7e58.png

• Like 1