Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 9th April onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

clearly theres a shallow trough over the UK, not a ridge..

Either the anomalies are wrong, the ops are wrong or i am...

610day.03.gif

GFSOPEU00_168_1.png

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

610day.03.gif

GFSOPEU00_168_1.png

The detail of this probably not showing up clearly on the broader anomaly picture Mushy. The ecm this morning has the upper trough disrupting resulting in a weak ridge for the end of the week but still a tad unsettled

ecmwf-deterministic-natl_wide-z500_anom-5745600.thumb.png.bff24ec35bd41fa7d317318a7be94272.pngecmwf-deterministic-eur-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-5832000.thumb.png.a3457624f167956c48d267c744498baa.pngecmwf-deterministic-eur-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-5918400.thumb.png.04a681f1204cd0bb99fedec49ea9c951.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

610day.03.gif

GFSOPEU00_168_1.png

I think I'd call that a 'weakness within a High', Rob? It's not often we see what clearly is a trough, but with a central pressure of 1020mb. No wonder the anomalies are unsure of what to make of it?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

610day.03.gif

GFSOPEU00_168_1.png

ECM never really gets the ridge in, surface conditions don’t really improve through the entire run! It’s not a good signal IMO.

Saturday the 10th 

1BF8B660-0D2D-4279-B083-A069CFB0449A.thumb.jpeg.ed155504db81af33d2368721c0164691.jpeg

Sunday the 11th

21A275B0-1AE6-4665-896F-98E2228B89EE.jpeg

Edited by Alderc

Posted

Sunshine and showers i think sums up the picture as we move forward ...

Temps probably feeling warm in the sun , not a fabulous outlook,but not a disaster either.

Probably drying out moreso towards the south and east as the flow trends SWly ?

Hope,rather than expectation is background factors help push the jet further north as we move through July.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

ECM never really gets the ridge in, surface conditions don’t really improve through the entire run! It’s not a good signal IMO.

Saturday the 10th 

1BF8B660-0D2D-4279-B083-A069CFB0449A.thumb.jpeg.ed155504db81af33d2368721c0164691.jpeg

Sunday the 11th

21A275B0-1AE6-4665-896F-98E2228B89EE.jpeg

It’s not the best. But at least once the low clears away it’s sunshine and showers rather than a relentless washout. Still hopeful of a much better second half of July ?? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Clusters also showing higher pressure getting ever closer in the 8-10 day range and beyond:

image.thumb.png.6289ef62aa9a4ed8f39746d52da67273.pngimage.thumb.png.b5f3f6fe309a3e7c5733a5eb4114078f.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

GFS 06Z following on this mornings ECM, pressure rises towards the end of the week however the upper trough never really lifts out so after Mon/Tues’s utter crap-fest it then looks like cool and showery Wed-Fri, even through the weekend there’s showers and cloud about but temps potentially back to normal by then. Looks like the first half of July will have no proper warmth at all.

Edited by Alderc

Posted

Based on recent models, my views on where July is going are ... "ish". Good "ish" at times, but not a 1976, and plenty of potholes. High pressure often tries to get in, but cannot establish and so disturbances are close by. I'm sure there'll be warm days, like today, but I can't see where the 90F days are coming from just yet

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
33 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Based on recent models, my views on where July is going are ... "ish". Good "ish" at times, but not a 1976, and plenty of potholes. High pressure often tries to get in, but cannot establish and so disturbances are close by. I'm sure there'll be warm days, like today, but I can't see where the 90F days are coming from just yet

90F days ?

I'm struggling to see where the 80F days are right now . . .

• Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

90F days ?

I'm struggling to see where the 80F days are right now . . .

Even 70f days..

• Like 4

Posted

Well heres a chart from July 2nd 2003..... looks a lot like the predicted chart for Tuesday. Of course 2003 went on to become a very warm/hot summer with the hottest daily temperature record that was only topped last year. 

july 2003.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Of note thanks to Matt Hugo is the Euro AAM forecast which suggests that AAM will head positive again in the 10th-15th period.

Note that he also showed the GFS being much more agressive (and it's less statistically accurate) so view GFS FI and CFS (drawn from GFS data) AAM forecasts with suspicion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

Of note thanks to Matt Hugo is the Euro AAM forecast which suggests that AAM will head positive again in the 10th-15th period.

Note that he also showed the GFS being much more agressive (and it's less statistically accurate) so view GFS FI and CFS (drawn from GFS data) AAM forecasts with suspicion.

May i ask, how long is it between the AAM going positive and its impact on our synoptic pattern?

Posted
8 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

May i ask, how long is it between the AAM going positive and its impact on our synoptic pattern?

No hard data (I'm not the one with the Euro subscription unfortunately) but based on the long range Euro convection forecast it looks like end of month so that would suggest a 20 day period (ish) of positive background signals.

Essentially strong trades and low AAM are indicative of a strong sub-tropical ridge and westerlies at the mid-lattitudes while the reverse is generally true for westerly wind bursts which amplify the jet stream at mid-lattitudes. The primary location of tropical convection can influence the extent of mean ridging and how much. (Early June saw +AAM but convection largely limited to the west Pacific - Azores ridge signal Vs 2018 when we saw tropical convection waves pass the entire Pacific - correlates more to a Scandi/Euro ridge signal at our location).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Even 70f days..

Virtually every day here at the moment...

The air is certainly warm enough to easily support temps over 70F if we get enough sunshine next week.

Edited by Scorcher
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Just before the 12z...Looking at the ECM 0z ensemble mean longer term, day 10 isn’t so terrible is it?..not had chance to post today, my dad is in a very bad way, things have taken a turn for the worse..doctor has called and prescribed new meds.  

22A22247-B089-4BD2-BAC3-412989B53A8F.thumb.gif.54da4e50a5d83e7540cc24dea2805483.gif

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

No hard data (I'm not the one with the Euro subscription unfortunately) but based on the long range Euro convection forecast it looks like end of month so that would suggest a 20 day period (ish) of positive background signals.

Essentially strong trades and low AAM are indicative of a strong sub-tropical ridge and westerlies at the mid-lattitudes while the reverse is generally true for westerly wind bursts which amplify the jet stream at mid-lattitudes. The primary location of tropical convection can influence the extent of mean ridging and how much. (Early June saw +AAM but convection largely limited to the west Pacific - Azores ridge signal Vs 2018 when we saw tropical convection waves pass the entire Pacific - correlates more to a Scandi/Euro ridge signal at our location).

thanks, appreciate your response..

Meh 12Z’s, it may warm up and settle down in 8-10days time but I have very little confidence that the high will get in far enough to give a proper spell of summer weather. The high to the south west just looks focused on staying there and leaving us exposed to fronts toppling over the top. It’s easy to envisage high slipping a touch west and a trough ending up over us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Little sign of anything Summerlike in the latest GFS. I really dont see where our first 30C of the year will be coming from in this set up. Disgusting temperatures for the middle of July. 

tempppppp.png

temps.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Not looking exactly 'shades of '76' is it, chaps? But I've lived through much worse; I came through the summer of 1972 more or less unscathed!

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Little sign of anything Summerlike in the latest GFS. I really dont see where our first 30C of the year will be coming from in this set up. Disgusting temperatures for the middle of July. 

tempppppp.png

temps.png

Think you've just about cherry picked the worst chart (t+300 hours as well!). Not necessarily a fair reflection of the run as a whole, but I agree that 30C anytime soon is looking unlikely.