Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 9th April onwards

Posted

Looking like we are swapping the cold crisp sunny skies of April for less cold wind and rain for the forseeable, gfs pretty consistant with this tune right through its run...very different from last year! 

Come on Boris I need a holiday!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Today's 00Z temperature ensembles: T850s to stay above 0C from Saturday; 2m temperatures clearly looking too low, a suspicion backed-up by just about every other forecast I can find . . . 15-16C?:

t850Bedfordshire.png     t2mBedfordshire.png

• Like 9

Posted

A 500mb anomaly chart view this morning

Thursday 6 May

Ec=trough over uk towards s france with very slight ridge showingarounc 50n (hardly worth a mention), from the overall atlantic flow from beneath main trough s Greenland into s’ern Europe, very little flow for uk.

Noaa=looks pretty similar to the ec chart, even to the suggestion of slight ridging well w of uk; some slight +ve heights azores region 120DM; little signal for this extending towards uk area; 10-14 chart is very similar to the 6-10 and shows more troughing than the one 2 days ago.

Result=no signal yet to suggest we may be getting a change; current weather pattern looks set to continue with isolated days warmer and more settled.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

On the plus side, the GEFS 0z mean still looks better beyond mid month and there’s a few juicy perturbations, however, essentially it’s a very mixed outlook and especially in the short / medium term it’s unsettled..but..at least the Gfs 0z op shows we will be losing the polar / arctic chill very soon with days and nights becoming milder, much closer to average and we are probably looking at a mixture of warm sunny spells and showers, some heavy and thundery plus occasional longer periods of rain...good growing weather?...hey at least there’s a positive spin there..come on guys I’m trying!..very trying  ?  ☀️ ⛅️ ? ⛈  

B3F6581D-EA79-4CB8-BE47-72C9B0EFD372.thumb.png.aea7b4ddd4fe2ff372525e3c9d70d4f8.png04635514-492E-467B-9629-C5F172990B09.thumb.png.100d05e043ff52317e04a10b8e83c3c6.png6FF87348-DBFA-4A58-BE4C-49F97E4BB951.thumb.png.a5ab9aadced73663f546e53a738fb9fc.pngD14726C2-52CE-41D6-A9E4-F25F61A86840.thumb.png.c27923c0fb962c608923a902fdedc05f.png

Not trying at all mate. I love your positivity. This is a chart we havent seen for a while...

image.thumb.png.59cc9e0189263e765f650d04afd435b4.png

winds from the south/ swest !

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS 06Z keep the 0C isotherm away to the west, until at least Tuesday . . . As far as I'm concerned it can stay there for ever!

h500slp.png     h850t850eu.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
2 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Result=no signal yet to suggest we may be getting a change; current weather pattern looks set to continue with isolated days warmer and more settled.

Thats odd, i dont get that impression from the NOAA charts at all. To me they suggest that  troughing will dominate the period 6-14 days, but we lose most of the arctic sourced air previous runs correctly identified for us over a week ago.

My interpretation is that we are to expect pretty average conditions, showers or longer spells of rain mixed with sunnier brighter spells but crucially we lose the overnight frost risk and daytime maxs should be closer to the seasonal norm... maybe above at times/in places. Itll also not be as windy.

Oh well, we will see..

• Like 5

Posted
19 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

GFS 06Z keep the 0C isotherm away to the west, until at least Tuesday . . . As far as I'm concerned it can stay there for ever!

What?  Even in winter?!  How dare you! 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

ECM clusters possibly holding a bit more promise this morning longer term:

Day 10                                                      Day 12                                                      Day 14
image.thumb.png.2d0e9c8918fbddccd584974f3d5c6787.pngimage.thumb.png.0920e90cc606b966ba32f61ec988d0de.pngimage.thumb.png.0bee72d72eb5dc0323d04803e00e84ac.png

There's a very decent option 1 in there. A bit too much variance to have any confidence in anything, but if a good outcome is showing at least it's a possibility!

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 6

Posted
32 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

Thats odd, i dont get that impression from the NOAA charts at all. To me they suggest that  troughing will dominate the period 6-14 days, but we lose most of the arctic sourced air previous runs correctly identified for us over a week ago.

My interpretation is that we are to expect pretty average conditions, showers or longer spells of rain mixed with sunnier brighter spells but crucially we lose the overnight frost risk and daytime maxs should be closer to the seasonal norm... maybe above at times/in places. Itll also not be as windy.

Oh well, we will see..

Well it may be me not very good at explaining mushy, I don't disagree much with most of your post.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Ecm12z still showing flabby low/slack pressure next week with the northerly in the Atlantic and at least 'green' 850s over the UK which should allow temps to be nearer to average (or even above in any sunnier spells) and showers or longer outbreaks of potentially thundery rain.

image.thumb.png.1616ee34fda2f46f8e6dffbbde36742b.pngimage.thumb.png.af5bc2d7585256ab067299c72e07571a.pngimage.thumb.png.4e62d533f1591450b541bd654d609aa6.png

Still that blob of HP to the north west seemingly re-establishing itself at the end of the run, however thankfully no northerly although the way it is evolving it could end up with one again. Still that is FI so bound to change..

Edited by minus10
  • Like 7

Posted
6 hours ago, Tamara said:

Again taken at face value and subject to usual caveats as added, but according to plausibility as outlined above - an average. sometimes warm pattern looks indicated from that seasonal outlook for many N and NW parts of Europe with some good fine spells. It doesn't smack of plume generated heat and with relatively low humidity probable - but many would very happily settle for that I would think this summer as restrictions ease and it is quite some improvement on the awful Spring conditions many have been enduring.   

That would definitely suit me, ideal in fact!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 hours ago, Don said:

That would definitely suit me, ideal in fact!

A 2018 repeat - lovely! Gin clear skies and low humidity day after day. We will have to see, but i think a repeat of last summers disappointment won't materialise. We were stuck under a La Nina base, which promotes long periods of -ve AAM, which in summer means troughing in NW Europe. That's not to say it'll be a scorcher, but not as unsettled as last year.

Back to there here and now - looks like staying unsettled right through next week as low pressure becomes stuck over the UK. Rain or showers for all areas, worst of the rain looks to be in the west.

image.thumb.png.6ec3ad09a55ae67481e54f56d4045b93.pngimage.thumb.png.a5aeb685361418985a8f9848dc382dfd.png

• Like 2

Unsettled and damp.....but less cold, GFS effectively has a flabby low spinning away either over the UK or near by pretty much for the next two weeks. Ensembles while not tightly grouped are all pretty much agreement of the generally unsettled theme with plenty of precip spikes.

Also I'm hopeful for down here at least down here that this morning will be the last frost until at least the middle of Autumn....

Unsettled.thumb.png.ff7fdc4770c2d285fd0a83dbe9baf938.png

Posted

Highs are getting larger and weather patterns keep getting more unusual ever since the outstanding 2007 summer,probably started before that like 2004.

image.thumb.png.248383a6700238a7653c2f59b8c09783.png

• Like 4

Finally going to loose that nip and chilly air! Warmer air incoming even if it’s unsettled I think many people will be grateful to be able to take the winter coats off at last! Next week looks showery but in the sunny spells will feel warmer than it’s felt in the last week, temps actually look average about 15 to 17 across the south east 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Afternoon all,

I still say there are better signs of fine potential during the second half of May according to the GEFS 6z!..I think that much is pretty obvious considering how unsettled the first half looks?..hmmmm!.. ...anyway, there are absolutely no guarantees, there are still plenty of unsettled members longer term..BUT..on balance, since the mean means average.. ...I choose to believe the second half or at least the last third of May could be rather more respectable in terms of fine weather...but I should also mention, as others, including me have previously..that it will become milder from the next day onwards with temperatures much closer to average, by day and night..so frost risk reduces significantly..hey, it’s almost as if summer isn’t far away!..roll on summer!...of course I want plumes etc but as long as we can have a decent summer with plenty of warm sunshine..I will be happy! ☀️ 

ps.. I’ve been drinking, in case you hadn’t noticed ..I will be honest with you, even though I’ve been a member since 2005 I feel nervous about posting anything on this forum when I’m stone cold sober!  

6913ECD5-F5D7-4848-B96B-E29AE31BC44F.thumb.png.13ed858002cf601886adc7d90b209ec8.pngC2115C67-9DC8-4B5B-9EEE-665A59EC6C6E.thumb.png.2d67d2743a3a7279748555a14451b140.png78DB4A2D-D8C2-4BE6-AD7A-95C1BCA27188.thumb.png.deb381d521e1c83feaa322bfc85d3145.png

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 8

Posted
14 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Afternoon all,

I still say there are better signs of fine potential during the second half of May according to the GEFS 6z!..I think that much is pretty obvious considering how unsettled the first half looks?..hmmmm!.. ...anyway, there are absolutely no guarantees, there are still plenty of unsettled members longer term..BUT..on balance, since the mean means average.. ...I choose to believe the second half or at least the last third of May could be rather more respectable in terms of fine weather...but I should also mention, as others, including me have previously..that it will become milder from the next day onwards with temperatures much closer to average, by day and night..so frost risk reduces significantly..hey, it’s almost as if summer isn’t far away!..roll on summer!...of course I want plumes etc but as long as we can have a decent summer with plenty of warm sunshine..I will be happy! ☀️ 

6913ECD5-F5D7-4848-B96B-E29AE31BC44F.thumb.png.13ed858002cf601886adc7d90b209ec8.pngC2115C67-9DC8-4B5B-9EEE-665A59EC6C6E.thumb.png.2d67d2743a3a7279748555a14451b140.png78DB4A2D-D8C2-4BE6-AD7A-95C1BCA27188.thumb.png.deb381d521e1c83feaa322bfc85d3145.png

IMO, gin-clear blue skies are like lying snow: once you've seen seven in a row, it all gets rather boring . . . warm with thundery showers'll do me!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4