Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

VP2 - wind direction issue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

OK - latest VP2 problem. Despite seeing my direction vane moving around, I have been recording due North constantly for 24 hours. Wind speed seems fine. Anyone else had this problem?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 hours ago, in the vale said:

OK - latest VP2 problem. Despite seeing my direction vane moving around, I have been recording due North constantly for 24 hours. Wind speed seems fine. Anyone else had this problem?

How old is your anemometer? Older versions use a reed switch. Newer models have potentiometers.

I actually had 2 new ones fail in less than 18 months. Thankfully, the 3rd one has been going fine.

What happened with mine was, wind was blowing from W for example, it would flick back to North and then back to W again. It would just keep doing that, and maybe rectify itself for a day or two, before repeating the same thing.

On VP2 systems, cable damage involving the direction conductor will cause the direction to show North, either constantly or, with intermittent wire contact, from time to time;

logo516whiteandnavy-round.png
WWW.MANULA.COM

Overview This topic covers issues and faults with readings of wind speed or wind direction. These are often also referred to as anemometer issues. (Strictly...

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Mapantz said:

How old is your anemometer? Older versions use a reed switch. Newer models have potentiometers.

I actually had 2 new ones fail in less than 18 months. Thankfully, the 3rd one has been going fine.

What happened with mine was, wind was blowing from W for example, it would flick back to North and then back to W again. It would just keep doing that, and maybe rectify itself for a day or two, before repeating the same thing.

Thanks for this link. I think I bought it early 2014 and it looks like I have the latest anemometer. Mine worked fine and then suddenly indicated North and stayed there - no flicking. I have since remembered that I did have to repair the cable a couple of years ago after I accidentally chopped it whilst clearing a vine from the house wall so I'll start there. It's also possible I nudged the terminal at the sensor suite end when I replaced my hygro/thermo sensor a month or so ago. Failing those ideas I'll have to buy a new anemometer and get the big ladders out.....

Posted
On 09/04/2021 at 08:32, in the vale said:

Thanks for this link. I think I bought it early 2014 and it looks like I have the latest anemometer. Mine worked fine and then suddenly indicated North and stayed there - no flicking. I have since remembered that I did have to repair the cable a couple of years ago after I accidentally chopped it whilst clearing a vine from the house wall so I'll start there. It's also possible I nudged the terminal at the sensor suite end when I replaced my hygro/thermo sensor a month or so ago. Failing those ideas I'll have to buy a new anemometer and get the big ladders out.....

Fixed - it was the repair. A few wiggles and it's working again. 

Posted

I had this issue a couple of years ago and like yours it was the cable. I'd got an aerial fitter to put it up as I didnt fancy climbing up there on the ladders but had to anyway as he damaged the wire when putting it up.

A scotchlok connector sorted it. Davis do a kit with spare cable and lots of the connectors for extending cable. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, reef said:

I had this issue a couple of years ago and like yours it was the cable. I'd got an aerial fitter to put it up as I didnt fancy climbing up there on the ladders but had to anyway as he damaged the wire when putting it up.

A scotchlok connector sorted it. Davis do a kit with spare cable and lots of the connectors for extending cable. 

I'm just relieved it was the cable and not the anemometer!

Posted

I would check the plug in connector is reasonably clean but most likely you'll need replace it.
 The actual sensor might be replaceable but if it's been up 7 years it will be getting tired anyway.
My previous one low wind would no longer turn the cups so I changed bearIngs then shortly after had a similar north wind only (= no signal) issue so got another from weather spares 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, 4wd said:

I would check the plug in connector is reasonably clean but most likely you'll need replace it.
 The actual sensor might be replaceable but if it's been up 7 years it will be getting tired anyway.
My previous one low wind would no longer turn the cups so I changed bearIngs then shortly after had a similar north wind only (= no signal) issue so got another from weather spares 

It all seems ok again for now - 'touches wood'.