Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Devon UK
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny 20c's, Stormy and Snow for photography
  • Location: Devon UK

    Hi all, I'm new to the forum, thought you might find this blog interesting, this is a local beach to me, that was effected quite a lot by storm Bella in Dec 2020, these pics were taken a few days later and shows the extent the beach has been effected by the storms

     

    SCOELLPHOTOGRAPHY.CO.UK

    The Damage one Storm caused to Devon's Bigbury Beach - Climate change or a Freak weather event? The Date - 26th December 2020 - Just after Christmas storm Bella hits the UK bringing high winds and heavy rain to its shores.

     

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Location: Bramley, Hampshire, 70m asl
  • Location: Bramley, Hampshire, 70m asl
    9 hours ago, Seb Coell said:

    Hi all, I'm new to the forum, thought you might find this blog interesting, this is a local beach to me, that was effected quite a lot by storm Bella in Dec 2020, these pics were taken a few days later and shows the extent the beach has been effected by the storms

     

    SCOELLPHOTOGRAPHY.CO.UK

    The Damage one Storm caused to Devon's Bigbury Beach - Climate change or a Freak weather event? The Date - 26th December 2020 - Just after Christmas storm Bella hits the UK bringing high winds and heavy rain to its shores.

     

    Fascinating!! I've visited the Pilchard inn on several occasions and remember the beach at Bigbury well.

    Has there been any sign of the sands returning yet?

    I saw the same at Cotillo beach on the west coast of Fuerteventura in the Canary islands about 20 years ago. A huge storm led to much of the sand disappearing . A lot of the sand has now returned ....but the southern end of that beach still has a very different profile/shape to what it had previously.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Devon UK
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny 20c's, Stormy and Snow for photography
  • Location: Devon UK
    1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

    Fascinating!! I've visited the Pilchard inn on several occasions and remember the beach at Bigbury well.

    Has there been any sign of the sands returning yet?

    I saw the same at Cotillo beach on the west coast of Fuerteventura in the Canary islands about 20 years ago. A huge storm led to much of the sand disappearing . A lot of the sand has now returned ....but the southern end of that beach still has a very different profile/shape to what it had previously.

    Hi, it hasn't returned yet, although I will do a more indepth look next time I am there, amazing how it will slowly return, it will be something to keep an eye on for sure.. 

    Yeah I bet it has changed that beach for the long term, its interesting because the causeway between Burgh Island and Bigbury, would act a bit like a break water and I would have though it would have been effected a lot but its harder to tell due to the lack of rocks there. 

     

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bramley, Hampshire, 70m asl
  • Location: Bramley, Hampshire, 70m asl
    21 minutes ago, Seb Coell said:

    Hi, it hasn't returned yet, although I will do a more indepth look next time I am there, amazing how it will slowly return, it will be something to keep an eye on for sure.. 

    Yeah I bet it has changed that beach for the long term, its interesting because the causeway between Burgh Island and Bigbury, would act a bit like a break water and I would have though it would have been effected a lot but its harder to tell due to the lack of rocks there. 

     

     

    Yes it'll be interesting to monitor the return of the sand (or not)  ...and how this is tied to sea and weather conditions.

    .....And by the way a very warm welcome to Netweather. A  very friendly place most of the time!...though I expect we'll see some heated discussion and toys thrown out of the pram during the upcoming cold (and for some - snowy) spell of weather. Enjoy!!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...