Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 1st April 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Boom! Just had a storm and some decent hail to go with it. Snatch of victory which was looking like a day of defeat just a couple of hours ago. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Just missed out again.....but getting closer

Here`s a  couple of a chunky boy which came through this afternoon

1745641767_Screenshot2021-05-1818-51-17.thumb.png.9b821a1c2315a60c8898be2a1720926e.png

541258475_Screenshot2021-05-1818-58-15.thumb.png.2a9f4c0723c19e716e19715680cc616c.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
34 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Boom! Just had a storm and some decent hail to go with it. Snatch of victory which was looking like a day of defeat just a couple of hours ago. 

Well done WRF. Think I will keep using it then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

Another day, another shelf cloud at night! Taken just now across the thames from Gravesend.
Also had a 'scudnado'  a rotating column of scud!! 
Did a quick time-lapse of some convection earlier as well.
Lots of things going on, hardly any action, early days yet and I've seen more than the whole of last year already!

_8507898.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Timelapse from today, sea convergence storm can be seen developing at around 1:10

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

What I think for today, I tried to just circle anywhere near Bedford with the Moderate risk because that's where most storms seem to happen. 

Screenshot_20210519_075928.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

THUNDERSTORM WATCH - WEDS 19TH MAY 2021

stormmap_190521.thumb.png.a4d7df52264bb5536d57b0e6729056e5.png

Issued 2021-05-19 06:41:52
Valid: 19/05/2021 0600 - 20/05/2021 0600

Forecast Details

Jet stream to the south of the UK over recent days will begin to buckle north to the W/SW of the British Isles on Wednesday, with a ridge of high pressure building N over western areas through the day ahead of an unseasonably deep low arriving across Ireland on Thursday. The ridge building across the west will tend to mean any showers will fade here to leave a drier day, but eastern areas of Britain will still be under the influence of troughing and a cyclonic NWly flow ahead of the ridge – so here expect another day of heavy showers and thunderstorms developing.

Colder mid-level temperatures will be present across E England today, in association with upper troughing extending down the North Sea and into central Europe, so lapse rates will be steepest here with surface heating, allowing 300-600 j/kg CAPE to develop, supporting the development of heavy showers and thunderstorms. While western areas see convection stifled by warming of the mid-levels as upper ridging builds here.

Heavy showers will break out widely across E Scotland down across northern, central, eastern and southern England, with a few isolated weak thunderstorms almost anywhere. However, the focus for a greater chance of thunderstorms will likely be across E England with a 30% probability – where N-S breeze convergence zone(s) will develop between NWly breeze overland and NEly onshore breeze off the North Sea. Steering flow will be fairly weak, so heavy shower/storms will be slow-moving, leading to a risk of localised flooding – especially where cells organise and train along breeze convergence zones. Storms may produce hail and localised strong wind gusts – where cold outflow develops from downdrafts. Funnel clouds or even a brief/weak tornado are possible with stronger updrafts that are more likely to rotate along convergence zones.

Showers/storms should quickly fade after dark as brief ridging builds in from the west.

Issued by: Nick Finnis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Went out chasing yesterday but would say it was somewhat frustrating.

Decided on my target area being Lincolnshire and so headed east towards Grantham, but as I headed through Nottingham could see developments further north and so took the A46 towards Newark and Lincoln, knowing it was a risk as I would probably arrive too late. By the time I reached Newark there were storms between my location and Lincoln and I could see some occasional flashes ahead. Unfortunately they were moving quite swiftly eastwards and I was hitting Lincoln at rush hour, hence a lot of traffic. I spent the next few hours hopelessly chasing them from Lincoln to Louth and towards the east coast. At times I got close enough to experience heavy rain and hail, I even saw the odd bolt of lightning or two. However, I was simply unable to get into a good position or get to where the strongest storms were (at the front of the mass of thundery rain). Thus, I was subject to staying in the car the whole experience. In the grand scheme of things it was not a bad chase, as I didn't "fail" to catch a storm. However, compared to last Tuesday when I seemed to be in a good position to see the storms, this one was a little more disappointing. Still, I can't win them all.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There are some spectacular thunderheads away to my W and NW just now; at least 90mins earlier than yesterday's!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Early cloud/rain has now cleared and we have sun and signs of convection already trying to get going. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A few showers pushing in here with some rumbles in the distance.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

There looks to be a small thunderstorm over towards the Llangollen area at the moment. ⛈️

This is my current view of things…

E643B7D7-A779-4FD1-BACF-95FEFAB066E5.jpeg

630668B0-F9B3-4134-B7C5-5BAF473BE186.png

E2AAAF8F-8255-4288-8DF8-40C7EF29F4A8.png

• Like 4

Two rumbles of thunder here in the last ten mins. Brings my thunder days to 4 and my individual thunderstorm count to 6.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms lightning thunder

Just popped up out of nowhere to my north moving in my direction some heavy rain drops starting, fingers crossed for some rumbles

IMG_20210519_124807.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Quite a few sferics recently just north of Bristol. Meanwhile in North Somerset it’s clear and sunny!

• Like 1

Posted

Oh cor! was just watching the BBC news there rumble of thunder over Gloucester. Poor guy got a bit of a fright I think

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Lightning detected in the Solent just now. Somewhere over there. 

6DA1D52E-5D2F-4181-B924-D54D3B8A659F.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Think we’ve been very unlucky in Wellingborough, nothing but light showers and a couple distant rumble two days ago

Hopefully we can change that today, even if it’s just a downpour or some hail.. beats nothing!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

I'm sat here carp fishing (No joy!) at Bransburton and just watch this develop to my North heading my way..I also have it on film for two minutes.

Screenshot_20210519-133758.png

• Like 7

Posted

somehow we have still manage to miss the showers and storms despite there being one 20 mins away in any diection....literally in the eye of the storm constantly

Posted
37 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Lol live crash of thunder over Gloucester on BBC news!

we get points west as well, but missed it lol as had to pick dad up from dropping his car off. as i'm on 3 weeks leave YAAAY

Bet the cameraman soiled his pants 

having said that, on monday when we having thunderstorms i kept loosing nation radio in the van as i had to pick a van up from mountain ash in work, and the reception is normally brilliant so i think the transmitter in cowbridge was struck.  

Edited by viking_smb