Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 1st April 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Am so trying not to fall for the hype. If it comes off it looks like I should see something from the coast, but today will be a day of radar watching before I let myself get too excited!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
2 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

Fingers crossed!!

I'll be heading to jury's gap

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

I find the UKV high unreliable in these situations, quite a few times it over corrects westwards and the jumps massively eastwards exactly like it has today. Disappointing.

Very poor mate and im not just saying that because i aint gona get any storms lol!!considering its meant be run at higher resolution in the short time frame than gfs the gfs has handled this so far way better and has been consistant with the eastward push for the last 2 days!!!a lot has been said of how good the ukv is but im not sure!!the event aint started yet so you never know it could be further west still!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
1 minute ago, snowrye said:

I'll be heading to jury's gap

Seafront for me if it's not too outrageously late in the night! Don't want to wake people up lol. My sea-facing bedroom window should suffice anyway.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
1 hour ago, James Maidstone said:

Storm forecast just issued

Amazing shot of the houses of argument I didn't see anything on the radar yet! 

Edited by Sprites
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Also a big point to note is ideally we want as little surface-based activity as possible over Northern France today since this will lead to modifications of the atmosphere by using up some of the "juice".

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Also a big point to note is ideally we want as little surface-based activity as possible over Northern France today since this will lead to modifications of the atmosphere by using up some of the "juice".

Yes, very important. This happened a couple of times last year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

6z UKV firming up on the 'IOW to the Wash' idea mentioned in the Netweather storm forecast. Looks like I'll be camping myself on the very south coast of the island or the downs down there for, touchwood, a good view.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Three fine days and a thunderstorm
14 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Yes mentioned this last night, ESTOFEX going for relatively capped across much of France with developments growing upscale into the MCS across northern France SE UK. 

Will await this afternoon.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
6 minutes ago, Lance M said:

6z UKV firming up on the 'IOW to the Wash' idea mentioned in the Netweather storm forecast. Looks like I'll be camping myself on the very south coast of the island or the downs down there for, touchwood, a good view.

Another corker of a run for East sussex I see! Lovely stuff

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

If mother nature decides to actually deliver for a change, I shall be at the end of Worthing Pier this evening awaiting the show. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, thunderhead 2005 said:

Looking at the risk chart it seems anything south of the M4 corridor could be in for a good light show, i have seen similar setups to this and normally anything east of Salisbury is where the action happens but i wonder if it will be like the bournemouth supercell that happened some years back

Lived there at the time - I remember getting on a bus in Winton, everything looked fine, nice weather, until the bus started heading down into Lansdowne after Asda/Station, you could see the dark cloud in the distance. As the bus approached the Royal Bath hotel, hundreds of people were fleeing the beach, all sorts were blowing around - food packaging, carrier bags, inflatables - and I dinged the bell and got off by the Imax, and as my foot hit the floor getting off the bus, BOOOM, i felt the static, there was panic, hundreds were now thousands - when you see photos in the paper of Brighton beach "packed" when the angle of the camera deceives, Bournemouth beach is another level, when it is packed by the pier, it is packed, well maybe less so now - then the rain started to fall. I made it under the flyover just in time for shelter but boy did the heavens open. Within 7 or 8 minutes, drain covers popped open, 5 minutes later the river through the gardens was level with the grass, 10 minutes later it was knee height. I had never seen anything like it. I had loads of photos on one of those storage sites but I have no idea which account or details from 15 or so years ago. Was it really that long ago?

Anyway, back to the output, looks promising for Hastings, I have charged all 4 batteries, my portable charger - for those photographers who have USB cable battery chargers, these portable phone chargers can charge your camera batteries - worth getting a 20000mah minimum portable charger to charge your camera batteries on the go. If you need any assistance with this, do message me!

Tripod for camera

Tripod for action cam

Tripod for phone

All ready to go

All eyes on the radars later

I am hoping I do not need to chase the storm and it will be delivered to my door, contactless.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Can't go to anywhere today because I'm 14 but will still keep an eye out anything that can be crossed, is crossed. Looks good for 2 am onwards will keep watching the sky for hours, sorry school but my maths exam is not tommorrow, its on Friday so I'm sure I'll be fine for it. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Can't go to anywhere today because I'm 14 but will still keep an eye out anything that can be crossed, is crossed. Looks good for 2 am onwards will keep watching the sky for hours, sorry school but my maths exam is not tommorrow, its on Friday so I'm sure I'll be fine for it. 

I had overnight storms during my GCSEs (as well as a couple during) and again for my IB exams. Wasn’t ideal

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Fair play fella, you come across as very well spoken and mature for someone who is 14 so good job, keep it up! I joined this forum back in 2012 when I was 12/13 too, just don't get caught screaming by your parents late tonight if there is lightning

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Latest MetO rainfall projections have initial storms moving NE across across Benelux now, with further heavy rainfall moving north from France after 1am. 

Interestingly my phone showing 90-100% of rain tonight but not a thunder icon.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Latest MetO rainfall projections have initial storms moving NE across across Benelux now, with further heavy rainfall moving north from France after 1am. 

Interestingly my phone showing 90-100% of rain tonight but not a thunder icon.

I have exactly the same showing on my weather app. 

They're next to useless though,  fit only for a sewer. 

The best thunderstorm I experienced was at a time where my weather app said it was meant to be sunny. 

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 3

Posted

Will be heading to Pevensey Bay as per usual, with my old D90, Sigma 17-70 with chipped glass, and my now dodgy and blurred left eye, should be fun.

• Like 4

The steering flow isn't promising, for anything near here we'll need stuff firing 30-50miles west of Guernsey, Cherbourg firing would deliver into the Brighton area approx.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I wonder where it will go, hopefully I'm in a good position whatever it does, as long as it doesn't hold off till it's further in land before kicking off, which can happen.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

I have exactly the same showing on my weather app. 

They're next to useless though,  fit only for a sewer. 

The best thunderstorm I experienced was at a time where my weather app said it was meant to be sunny. 

My 20yr old Nokia 3310 (refurbished and looking gorgeous) says "what's an app?" :D  Someone handed me a "smart" phone once to make a call and I just had to hand it back, couldn't work the thing.
I just watch the radar, sat and lightning on my big old pc screen and then head out when it starts to look promising.
I like to leave Irfanview running while I'm out capturing screenshots every 30 secs so I can make a lightning timelapse afterward, but more often than not the storms cut the power.

• Like 1