Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 1st April 2021 onwards

Posted
22 hours ago, MP-R said:

Oh yes these dates are etched in my memory! The 28th June storms were more impressive here, after the humdingers on the 24th... but the ore storm humidity on 31st August was some the most unpleasant I’ve experienced in this country. Positively steamy!

I moved from Bulford near Amesbury to Pagham near Bognor in August 2015, so always in southern England in recent years. 

In my experience, after the thundery year of 2006, there has been a general downturn in the incidence of thunder with several quiet years. Only 2014 has come close to 2006 in its thunderyness.

I also remember 2005 storms on 28th June and 31st August. I also remember 24th June that year being a very thundery day when I was working at Larkhill that day - one storm after another. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Harry's House said:

ImI also remember 2005 storms on 28th June and 31st August. I also remember 24th June that year being a very thundery day when I was working at Larkhill that day - one storm after another. 

24th June 2005 was epic in Wiltshire! Numerous storms formed quickly along a very slow moving cold front from around 05.00-12.00!

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

24th June 2005 was epic in Wiltshire! Numerous storms formed quickly along a very slow moving cold front from around 05.00-12.00!

I think we had it bad in cardiff as well 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

All subject to change of course, but Wednesday next week is looking to be the day of potential fireworks. The models seem to be correcting and have the low to the WNW engaging more of the plume, rather than riding straight over the top. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
4 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

Hey Google.  Driving directions to minus five please

Screenshot_20210611-174845.png

Could be a good week nexxt week if all goes well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

A few pictures from earlier today. 

IMG_20210611_162348.thumb.jpg.2d600ce378b676a06e253bce9ca830b3.jpgIMG_20210611_162406.thumb.jpg.a6db8b580bccc891c227db2ef6b3339c.jpg

IMG_20210611_162705.thumb.jpg.fdd43e0743e6367df08b7e323b895a04.jpg

IMG_20210611_162917.thumb.jpg.2f1431761170c41fb3e2a633e795e205.jpg

Wrong thread??

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

App showing 40% storm risk for Wednesday now with temps of 28C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow

There is definitely some consistency now between GFS runs on some significant instability building across parts of England and Wales next Wednesday, which is good news for most!     

image.thumb.png.6e3e950f278fd723e675b0dbd4a3c3a4.pngimage.thumb.png.55c2d8f75d075b32177ae4805964d8b2.pngimage.thumb.png.f86983568fd76e893a31cf2e60a346cc.pngimage.thumb.png.2174de5e0cdf60ae8f5af97888792275.png

On the other hand it is the GFS of course, so we will have to wait and see what happens.  

Meanwhile the ECMWF and GDPS seem to agree on the general pattern. We will have to see what any mid-range models say as they come into range over the next few days

image.thumb.png.02b6d19ebe587feb6bf24c0d4ce9d579.pngimage.thumb.png.866ed6f33d8ea60e028b3c1889472cf6.pngimage.thumb.png.7fbb5df0b90714ee403815f5015a65da.png

Really hoping for some good storms!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Well the UKV is already onboard...

image.thumb.png.36ca6d32610ab68b2fc90f0e8b85ec13.png

That'd be a late night but I'd bite your hand off for it to come off like that  

Posted

Wonder if this could be a similar event to June 1994! We can only wish. So far it is not looking bad at all!! 

Posted
18 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Wonder if this could be a similar event to June 1994! We can only wish. So far it is not looking bad at all!! 

I'm intrigued. Any charts/articles etc around for that particular event? I would have been 6 years old at the time and cr*apping myself no doubt, assuming those storms affected the IOW!

Edit: found articles and BBC forecasts on Youtube

Edited by Lance M

Posted
1 minute ago, Lance M said:

I'm intrigued. Any charts/articles etc around for that particular event? I would have been 6 years old at the time and cr*apping myself no doubt, assuming those storms affected the IOW!

WWW.THEWEATHEROUTLOOK.COM

Coming up to the 20th anniversary of this event for the SE when it went bang with spectacular thunderstorms on the evening of the 24th June 1994...
cover
RMETS.ONLINELIBRARY.WILEY.COM

Click on the title to browse this journal

Found these two!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lance M said:

I believe the MCS up from France would’ve done after the initial homegrown trough! It was a superb day. 

The latest Icon looks pretty exciting/nuts! 

5DAFFDE3-27CE-4480-9713-65FB7F21365F.png

• Like 3

Posted

I was reminded of 57 years ago today, and the night of 12th/13th June 1964 when a spectacular thunderstorm and lightning kept people awake for much of the night in London & the South East. Of course in those days, there was little in the way of detailed forecasts, certainly not for days ahead. Fortunately the 13th was a Saturday and I was able to have a lie in rather than getting up for school.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
16 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I believe the MCS up from France would’ve done after the initial homegrown trough! It was a superb day. 

The latest Icon looks pretty exciting/nuts! 

5DAFFDE3-27CE-4480-9713-65FB7F21365F.png

Is it me, or is this the beginning of an eastwards shift modelwise?  Hopefully it won't be in the north sea by Wednesday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I was reminded of 57 years ago today, and the night of 12th/13th June 1964 when a spectacular thunderstorm and lightning kept people awake for much of the night in London & the South East. Of course in those days, there was little in the way of detailed forecasts, certainly not for days ahead. Fortunately the 13th was a Saturday and I was able to have a lie in rather than getting up for school.

I remember that. It was so scary that my younger bro and I were allowed downstairs, to watch The Flintstones!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

Is it me, or is this the beginning of an eastwards shift modelwise?  Hopefully it won't be in the north sea by Wednesday

Not yet I don’t think. It’s only just started coming into the high resolution outputs, so we shall wait and see. If anything over the past couple of days, the plume has been getting better for us. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

The prospects of some imports overnight from Weds to Thurs do have my eye.

Of course, I'm awaiting the inevitable shift east all the way into Belgium by Tuesday on models. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Jamie M said:

The prospects of some imports overnight from Weds to Thurs do have my eye.

Of course, I'm awaiting the inevitable shift east all the way into Belgium by Tuesday on models. 

Has it already happened? 

image.thumb.png.6eb3ebd7c466289a94163f0423f8562f.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Has it already happened? 

image.thumb.png.6eb3ebd7c466289a94163f0423f8562f.png

It really has been dreadful for imports over the last 2 years. Last year was the worst I can remember for it. Like Paul said the other day, the SE really is not as thundery as it used to be, even from imports.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

BBC Weather's got storms so it'll just be rain now, oh well onto July lol 

image.thumb.png.005b2997ee24b3eaecf765d3e0531dd6.png

image.thumb.png.750e439ef4793f1a07bfa3a9305c37cd.png

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

BBC Weather's got storms so it'll just be rain now, oh well onto July lol 

image.thumb.png.005b2997ee24b3eaecf765d3e0531dd6.png

image.thumb.png.750e439ef4793f1a07bfa3a9305c37cd.png

image.png

Same in West London too seeing Thursday early evening through the night. I'd love to see a mothership cloud even just do a drive by of the south easy skies to tease us would be a sight.

• Like 1