Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 1st April 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
16 minutes ago, Muffelchen said:

John, the person who runs the group lives in....Hull I'd give it a try.

Oh dear, now I have egg on my face.. I hope I didn’t cause offence. Just a little tongue and cheek. 

I wonder if we will see any unexpected surprises today. Hull seems to have been unlucky to catch any isolated showers of late. Already seeing some towering CU to the south of us. The bbc graphics do show a few heavy showers later on today. The metoffice forecast map seems less keen. 

like yesterday then Humber seems to be creating some sort of boundary allowing convention. 

CFC757E4-DEC9-4468-B4E9-97531B6EB734.jpeg

Edited by John90
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
18 hours ago, John90 said:

Impressive convection for a day that was supposed to be dry. I was looking towards this cell watching some rapidly rising scud but had to leave to take the husband for his covid jab. 

PS I’d try to join the group but being from Hull I don’t think they’d let me in. 

When did you move to Hull? Bet you didn’t expect to be moving to tornado alley

I’m Southampton this weekend and it is surprisingly humid feeling. I would suspect that this is the source of the convective signs being seen over the past couple of days

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

The latest GFS slows down the storm potential well into Weds night now, with a higher chance of a nighttime light show - I hope this is a trend that sticks for forthcoming runs.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
2 hours ago, Harry said:

When did you move to Hull? Bet you didn’t expect to be moving to tornado alley

I’m Southampton this weekend and it is surprisingly humid feeling. I would suspect that this is the source of the convective signs being seen over the past couple of days

Moved back here in December. Going to miss the MCS’ like I saw down south. Today’s morning convection died off. Gorgeous proper spring day now. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Netweather backing these storms happening and within quite reliable time, still not close enough to get too excited yet. 

ukprec.thumb.png.ad58e8ab25e2284303185527449ddfbb.png2133052989_ukprec(1).thumb.png.85e60c1485f4956458c048cfc8890221.png939600665_ukcapeli(4).thumb.png.ce606807a01fb32b9bde8cf9048b5d82.png

ukcapeli (3).png

ukprec (4).png

ukprec (5).png

ukprec (6).png

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Netweather backing these storms happening and within quite reliable time, still not close enough to get too excited yet. 

ukprec.thumb.png.ad58e8ab25e2284303185527449ddfbb.png2133052989_ukprec(1).thumb.png.85e60c1485f4956458c048cfc8890221.png939600665_ukcapeli(4).thumb.png.ce606807a01fb32b9bde8cf9048b5d82.png

ukcapeli (3).png

ukprec (4).png

ukprec (5).png

ukprec (6).png

Did take a while but GFS finally on the same hymn sheet regarding the storms. Now next week (later on during the week) and possibly beyond? Looking interesting

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
On 28/05/2021 at 17:41, Muffelchen said:

In a private group here if you can work out how to access it: 

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire has 16,806 members. Photos of Beverley old and new, family history requests and stories. Discussion about local issues, local politics and community notices.

image.png

Any reports of damage with this?, looks to be on, or very close to the ground.

Edited by Sprites

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

GFS 06z is a cracker throughout! Plenty of scope for elevated thunderstorms with that slack S/SE flow and fairly high 850hPa temps. Low pressure moves northwards at the end, which briefly advects even higher upper air temperatures before eventually breaking things down during the final few frames. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Yeah, I think over the last 2 days with each run, 'stable' has become the main takeaway from the models. The latest GFS now keeps any activity on Fri/Sat WELL away in the continent, likewise many of the other models.

I guess we could still see a few sparks from Wednesday's shallow low pushing northward. West is looking best for that nearer the low's centre.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Ah, probably just my storm-starved spectacles! haha

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Yeah, I think over the last 2 days with each run, 'stable' has become the main takeaway from the models. The latest GFS now keeps any activity on Fri/Sat WELL away in the continent, likewise many of the other models.

I guess we could still see a few sparks from Wednesday's shallow low pushing northward. West is looking best for that nearer the low's centre.

as long its during the day i'm ok with it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

UKV shows showery rain as we move in to Wednesday. Downpours with some lightning perhaps, but convective potential looks a little weak.

827563294_viewimage(3).thumb.png.48a5aa5eced710ad43714f66ffe3a670.png 1406583748_viewimage(2).thumb.png.75b8660a9c5c71d2016913badc1de3db.png

Edited by Mapantz
Phone is adding words by itself
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

UKV doesn't really shows showery rain as we move in to Wednesday. Downpours with some lightning perhaps, but convective potential looks a little weak.

827563294_viewimage(3).thumb.png.48a5aa5eced710ad43714f66ffe3a670.png 1406583748_viewimage(2).thumb.png.75b8660a9c5c71d2016913badc1de3db.png

Yeah, that sums it up; a plume lacking enough of a punch to excite me.

Saying that, if I lived in Cornwall I'd be reasonably confident about seeing something. We shall see what @staplehurst makes of tomorrow night down there shortly I suspect!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Saying that, if I lived in Cornwall I'd be reasonably confident about seeing something. We shall see what @staplehurst makes of tomorrow night down there shortly I suspect!

Hopefully, there may be a surprise? Usually the unexpected stuff is the best..

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

UKV shows showery rain as we move in to Wednesday. Downpours with some lightning perhaps, but convective potential looks a little weak.

I would rather that than massive storms, as I want sleep 

• Like 1

Posted

Doesn't seem like a classic thundery breakdown to me maybe some showers but we still relatively young in the season plenty more opportunities down the line

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, NUT said:

Doesn't seem like a classic thundery breakdown to me maybe some showers but we still relatively young in the season plenty more opportunities down the line

Indeed. Let’s hope June-Aug bring some good plumes this year. Historically, La Niña years tend to be less conducive for decent plume storms for my neck of the woods, whereas El Niño years tend to be better. This year I think I’m right in saying is mid-La Niña.

Would love to know if there are any stats that support/destroy this theory.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
29 minutes ago, Harry said:

Indeed. Let’s hope June-Aug bring some good plumes this year. Historically, La Niña years tend to be less conducive for decent plume storms for my neck of the woods, whereas El Niño years tend to be better. This year I think I’m right in saying is mid-La Niña.

Would love to know if there are any stats that support/destroy this theory.

That would certainly be an interesting case study. Someone like Gavin partridge (Gavsweathervids.com) usually is very good at historical stats and patterns coinciding with events. 

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Lance M said:

Yep, Slight issued for the far southwest!

CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

Sorry, haven't got time to paste it all in here.

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting punt from Estofex for tomorrow. 

9EEBFB36-E2E5-4606-BB75-38CD54F9AA1A.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

MetO just issued a yellow warning of T-Storms for the SW. After what feels like a 2 year membership in the No Storms Club, I'm approaching moderate excitement...

• Like 3