Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 1st April 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
7 hours ago, Allseasons-si said:

I didn't notice but i will check it again,thanks☺️

Edit,...yes i saw that,the lightning definitely hit something as it glowed for a second or two,lightning doesn't do that

I always thought this had hit that tree, the tree glowed a bit. 

165789472_VID_20200828_1449024_exported_478_1598630269475.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Some great vids and pics here from you guys around the country!

Imagine how much more exciting following storms would be if they actually made Doppler accessible to the public!

please can we actually have some interesting weather in the south now that isn’t boring gales. 

• Like 1

Posted

There's quite a stormy looking cloud over me right now and looks like the popcorn showers are beginning to show up, fingers crossed for another thunderous day . 
Look to be traveling in a more SW to NE direction so here's hoping a nice conveyer sets up over Wellington for me  .

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Plenty more convective opportunities showing on the models for Sat/Sun/Mon. I'd imagine many inland areas should get something nearby at least on some of those days! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Few rumbles here from a heavy shower passing over but not much to see. Some pretty heavy hail though across town

https://twitter.com/wrexham/status/1392515732961992706?s=19

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Oh look a cell around Hawarden. Would be good for me if it can keep it together.
Edit: it’s died already

Posted

another day and literally AGAIN in the middle of storms, always just to the left or just to the right. literally incredible how we can be so close to them but never near enough to one.....oh well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Oh not over Warrington again I was only there a few hours ago.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Seen lightning and heard thunder but oddly, the sky doesn't look as bad as the radar suggests, I can actually see through to the other side. 

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Chris, I think you are your own storm shield. LOL

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Chris, I think you are your own storm shield. LOL

I know mate tell me about it lol

• Like 1

Posted

Thinks looking very nice tomorrow now looks like I will be near a seabreeze convergence zone and insollation should yield between 700–900 J CAPE. Also for once Warrington will be upwind of me so they can’t avoid me this time. ??

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
23 hours ago, Supacell said:

Great footage. Nice bright lightning and loud crisp thunder. Some of the storms today have been crazy! Your daughter is loving it too bless her. That lightning at 8:11 looks like it may have hit something (notice the green glow to the left of the picture just after the flash)

@Supacell,one of the mates at work happen to catch the lightning hitting a generator or transformer near by,this explains the green flash to the left of my clip.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

See posts, photos and more on Facebook.

• Like 2

Posted

Still a chance of some storms today but generally the air profile is moist all the way up with limited cloud tops.

sound-WestMidlands-12.thumb.png.9783af3baefa9c0fcc943b0761884842.png

Upper level trough still dips down over the western an southern halves of the UK enhancing cloud tops but winds are unidirectional all the way up.

gfs_pvort_eur15.thumb.png.28a8533bd05602fdf2066d0ada84e9a6.png

Instability looks like it will be in short supply unless cloud breaks which for most will not happen due to the moist profile all the way up the troposphere.

Possibly Scottish Borders and Cumbria look interesting for spout like whirlwinds especially out of the sea. Some heavier down falls possible over parts of the midlands and wales. Again a slight risk of spout features due to low level convergence if lift from the boundary layer cn happen (unlikely unless the sun comes out), with Oxford M4 corridor southwards a potential area.

nmmukwind.thumb.png.bfeedfcbb0a75b0df7cc6a4874917503.png

Not a classic thunderstorm day but a few interesting points.

nmmuk3hrprecip.thumb.png.2732ef9957e1f3912c4ce85fb0f9b439.png

nmmuk3hrprecip18.thumb.png.ada54a828ae99ecd5566d385b56c67f3.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BrickFielder said:

Still a chance of some storms today but generally the air profile is moist all the way up with limited cloud tops.

Upper level trough still dips down over the western an southern halves of the UK enhancing cloud tops but winds are unidirectional all the way up.

Instability looks like it will be in short supply unless cloud breaks which for most will not happen due to the moist profile all the way up the troposphere.

Possibly Scottish Borders and Cumbria look interesting for spout like whirlwinds especially out of the sea. Some heavier down falls possible over parts of the midlands and wales. Again a slight risk of spout features due to low level convergence if lift from the boundary layer cn happen (unlikely unless the sun comes out), with Oxford M4 corridor southwards a potential area.

i disagree today we could have some severe storms even if the cloud doesn't  brake were in a convective Patten   

Posted
28 minutes ago, milomolly123 said:

im sorry about that i just really want some decent storms ha ha 

Reveal hidden contents

Yea unfortunately wanting a storm doesn't mean it will happen lol. There needs to be key ingredients for storms to happen including but not limited to surface heating, moisture, wind shear, convection, uncapped cloud tops, Cape values, air instability etc. None of these are really prevalent today so it's very unlikely anything will break out. More of a classic British day of sunshine and showers I think. 

From what I recollect the best storms last season came mid August when much of Central and North West UK were under a convergence zone due to a plume so conditions were ripe for thunderstorm development and it turned out areas like Liverpool, Manchester and Cheshire, Lancashire and Staffordshire had supercells for 4 or 5 consecutive days. 12th August specifically brought a MCS over Cheshire and strobe lightning with flash flooding and power cuts. Quite rare in the UK for a storm of that size and power. 

But yea you get the gist. You can get decent storms as early as May but the big ones tend to happen late summer in my experience 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Azuremoon2 said:

Yea unfortunately wanting a storm doesn't mean it will happen lol. There needs to be key ingredients for storms to happen including but not limited to surface heating, moisture, wind shear, convection, uncapped cloud tops, Cape values, air instability etc. None of these are really prevalent today so it's very unlikely anything will break out. More of a classic British day of sunshine and showers I think. 

From what I recollect the best storms last season came mid August when much of Central and North West UK were under a convergence zone due to a plume so conditions were ripe for thunderstorm development and it turned out areas like Liverpool, Manchester and Cheshire, Lancashire and Staffordshire had supercells for 4 or 5 consecutive days. 12th August specifically brought a MCS over Cheshire and strobe lightning with flash flooding and power cuts. Quite rare in the UK for a storm of that size and power. 

But yea you get the gist. You can get decent storms as early as May but the big ones tend to happen late summer in my experience 

u think we will get some aminzing storms all i want is some MCS or deep imbedded   supercells 

Posted
1 hour ago, BrickFielder said:

Doesn't look promising here. That rain is just rotating above me and looks set to do so for a while yet. Further south might get luckier if the sun pokes through for a bit

2 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Doesn't look promising here. That rain is just rotating above me and looks set to do so for a while yet. Further south might get luckier if the sun pokes through for a bit

i want some severe storms so bad i feel storm starved