Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 1st April 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Great storm here, shotgun thunder and hail included. Road turned completely white!

Moving away now. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Home now and what an afternoon and evening. First encountered a storm near to Longnor which produced some nice lightning against the dark approaching sky. This was the first of many intense storms. Main thing in them was the hail which was pelting down and totally covered the roads in ice at times, making them treacherous. Especially with greatly reduced visibility, bright lightning and an accumulation of frozen hail on my windscreen. Hail was mainly pea sized but encountered some bigger stones, possibly marble sized, around the villages of Hassop and Calver. Some bright lightning, ICs and CGs with loud bangs of thunder. Then on the way home encountered storms near to Matlock. I was in the car but the lightning was very bright and the thunder so loud I could hear it whilst driving in the torrential rain. Finished up with watching a nice night time lightning  display to the east, in the direction of Chesterfield.

We had gunshot thunder to the North East of Chesterfield was a a great lightning display too totally caught me by surprise.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Blackpool boy, 9, killed in lightning strike on playing field https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-57080526

I just come on to say the same thing. . RIP 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Super-vision Zak! 

And wow!!! Did anyone just see a meteor shoot across the sky heading NorthEast?!? 

Ah, I thought someone had set a flash off locally, or a thunderstorm was creeping up on me from behind, but there were no clouds!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Super-vision Zak! 

And wow!!! Did anyone just see a meteor shoot across the sky heading NorthEast?!? 

It was picked up on 3 of the UKMO cams earlier.

All at 21:21 UTC.

image.thumb.png.64060ce65623996679ef28471e4294ad.pngimage.thumb.png.b0a4b8d35ad40a5849d5a366dea827ff.pngimage.thumb.png.5d92367b231e789b5058adc6e03579b6.png 

Nice addition to the already many flashes of lightning occuring tonight!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Flooding oop North now...

Screenshot_20210511-234527_Chrome.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

RAW and UNEDITED,...watch this

Sorry about my daughter,she has ADHD but she was as exited as me,what a storm with Cg's large hail setting car alarms off,power cuts the lot,...Enjoy☺️

Oh and i forgot to turn the auto focus off,...sorry!

Great footage. Nice bright lightning and loud crisp thunder. Some of the storms today have been crazy! Your daughter is loving it too bless her. That lightning at 8:11 looks like it may have hit something (notice the green glow to the left of the picture just after the flash)

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

goes to show you don't need hot air and southerly winds to get severe thunderstorms. i imagine with a trough parked over us for the forseeable, there'll be many chances for similar storms to crop up

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
8 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

image.thumb.png.64060ce65623996679ef28471e4294ad.pngimage.thumb.png.b0a4b8d35ad40a5849d5a366dea827ff.pngimage.thumb.png.5d92367b231e789b5058adc6e03579b6.png 

Proves I wasn’t having a moment of madness then! I knew my eyes weren’t kidding me. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
10 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Great footage. Nice bright lightning and loud crisp thunder. Some of the storms today have been crazy! Your daughter is loving it too bless her. That lightning at 8:11 looks like it may have hit something (notice the green glow to the left of the picture just after the flash)

I didn't notice but i will check it again,thanks☺️

Edit,...yes i saw that,the lightning definitely hit something as it glowed for a second or two,lightning doesn't do that

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Sorry about my daughter,she has ADHD but she was as exited as me,what a storm with Cg's large hail setting car alarms off,power cuts the lot,...Enjoy☺️

Wow that's constant thunder. That's more than one storm 

Posted
31 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I'd be cacking it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
30 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

That is impressive, hell of a storm, brilliant video

• Thanks 1

Posted

I would just like to add to my vid above^...

this storm must of happened under the right conditions because the temp was only 7c

i finished work at ten and i went to my car at five to in the carpark and i was taken by surprise when i saw lightning to the south,i couldn't wait to clock out at ten,...i was itching to get home,i got home at 10:15pm and i thought that i would miss it,i had my camera in the car(as you do when storms are forecast on the day)in the glove box,but nothing happened on my break at 6:30pm

at 8:30pm i noticed some flashes of lightning out of the bay door,i went for a fag and captured a storm on my phone briefly,i will upload it as there was a bang and not a rumble from the clip.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
9 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I would just like to add to my vid above^...

this storm must of happened under the right conditions because the temp was only 7c

i finished work at ten and i went to my car at five to in the carpark and i was taken by surprise when i saw lightning to the south,i couldn't wait to clock out at ten,...i was itching to get home,i got home at 10:15pm and i thought that i would miss it,i had my camera in the car(as you do when storms are forecast on the day)in the glove box,but nothing happened on my break at 6:30pm

at 8:30pm i noticed some flashes of lightning out of the bay door,i went for a fag and captured a storm on my phone briefly,i will upload it as there was a bang and not a rumble from the clip.

Quality video that was! As you say only 7c. I can only assume that bulk shear and convergence played a big part, and the feed of warmer air from the S slowly behind it was adding just enough fuel to sustain an updraught. 

It’s often these unexpected events that turn out to be some of the best, as this has proven! 

• Like 4

Posted

Cg Lightning at 45 sec's then following a double shotgun thunder.

some nice clouds too.

IMG_0268.thumb.JPG.8d711c0c0ec7afac63a3efc5b4fced0a.JPGIMG_0270.thumb.JPG.d496bd5b59a871ed37c637aac8327af3.JPG

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Fantastic pics and videos of the storms tonight, made for fantastic viewing and thanks to all that have shared, if these storms had of been in the southeast of England Netweather would have crashed

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Jamie M said:

My Bet's on it being an Eta Aquariids  we're past the peak now, but the shower lasts until almost the end of May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I can see that storm from King’s Lynn!! It’s amazing how far you can see when the conditions are perfect! 

I remember seeing lightning from that storm over Crewe last August from Peterborough! 

That storm was easily one of the best I've ever witnessed. Pretty much constant lightning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

goes to show you don't need hot air and southerly winds to get severe thunderstorms. i imagine with a trough parked over us for the forseeable, there'll be many chances for similar storms to crop up

Been saying that for years now. Get slack troughing over the UK in summer and you'll see storms develop by day and often rattle on well into the evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
8 hours ago, Zak M said:

I'm seeing lightning all the way from here? What the hell?!

I want to know where you brought your super vision. 

• Like 2