Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and convective discussion - 1st April 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Hello everyone, well it’s time for me to awaken from my winter hibernation... And I have to say that today was the first time this year I’ve actually seen some proper convection getting going! 

Lets hope it’s not too long for us to wait for our first good storm of the year. ⛈️

42CE0CF8-EB57-4D6C-97B8-5DAFD94A64E3.jpeg

E82079BC-82AE-45ED-A0F6-38AFF6F44117.jpeg

3D6D6479-422C-47C2-84A1-A30B56696059.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Got a storm to my NE, seeing flashes and hearing thunder! Lovely.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Haven't seen a lot here in terms of cloudscapes but some more dramatic skies on the webcams today so here's some of those. 

image.thumb.png.186b14526095c67c16697161ec1e99ba.png  image.thumb.png.7a80d7e28f2a81d2e7607b0669a24d8b.png  image.thumb.png.9aa1b6c51a090fbde4f265d1e5967d3c.png

image.thumb.png.75eba4fb87f280b230c44530963810f0.png

Edited by matt111
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, Zak M said:

Got a storm to my NE, seeing flashes and hearing thunder! Lovely.

I followed that monster down the M1, in the sunset it was awesome, didnt think it was high enough to be a flash banger though.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
12 hours ago, Zak M said:

What do y'all think?

Nah, I don't think so. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
14 hours ago, Zak M said:

Here's a short video of yesterdays storm:

Some other images from during the day:

A5BC6354-C4C7-4F5A-AA28-62372E84ECE3.thumb.jpeg.4b9bd472179b87f4fbbfbc47c498b06d.jpeg   3C515AFD-511E-4119-B3F8-09D810FCA6AA.thumb.jpeg.6385ddf53acb229e735e1154e1bcc3d3.jpeg   19E0CB20-BD6E-4209-BAA1-77882B6BF077.thumb.jpeg.c48e77f83c4225ad426f5130e3958e91.jpeg

And a cool timelapse of the storm decaying as it passed by:

I'm sorry, not to sound rude towards you Zak, but you know our weather is pathetic when we slow down a flash INSIDE the clouds and not a cloud-to-ground lightning strike 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
4 hours ago, Atmogenic said:

I'm sorry, not to sound rude towards you Zak, but you know our weather is pathetic when we slow down a flash INSIDE the clouds and not a cloud-to-ground lightning strike 

I'm sure it'll come in summer this year and we won't be so lacking of storms last year because that was dreadful. It's only the start of April though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
36 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

I'm sure it'll come in summer this year and we won't be so lacking of storms last year because that was dreadful. It's only the start of April though. 

yeah I hope so, I haven't gotten a single storm here yet this year but usually i experience a few during the summer months though its uncommon to get a decent one that doesn't just produce 1 or 2 lightning strikes and that's it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I don't think @Zak M is complaining about the storms last year... 

I on the other hand, have definitely got something to complain about with more or less nothing all year.

Here's another webcam picture of a shower passing Southampton just now. I only post them as my view at home isn't great and it the cams I get these pictures from are effectively an extra window to me with a much better view.

image.thumb.png.0af0499b8ff82d2a27559d793e946852.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus
On 12/04/2021 at 20:01, Zak M said:

Here's a short video of yesterdays storm:

Some great post production editing Zak... of that kind of quality. is something that I aspire to

Did I notice that OBS was being used ?..... which would be great for instance, for stream sharing amongst a Network of other Netweather live-streamers, say! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
16 hours ago, Arnie Pie said:

Some great post production editing Zak... of that kind of quality. is something that I aspire to

Did I notice that OBS was being used ?..... which would be great for instance, for stream sharing amongst a Network of other Netweather live-streamers, say! 

Hey Arnie. It's just a radar snippet that I screen recorded and placed into the video.

I like the idea about the live-streams though! I should try that in the future.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 06/04/2021 at 22:39, Allseasons-si said:

This needs pinning into the photo gallery of 2021,...WOW,stunning photo that is

I follow him on Facebook, a phantastic photographer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Clutching at straws, but if that high next week slides just a little to the northeast, we could end up with another plume akin to April 2018.

Not at all likely to end up happening, but it's now the time of year we can start at least looking out for the chance of southerlies in the models that could lead to some elevated convection. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

That's more like it from the 00Z GFS. A train of showers and potential storms straight from Spain a week today.

Just for fun at this stage of course. ECM having none of it and puts us back into those pesky northeasterlies instead!

• Like 2

Posted

2 hours ago, Lance M said:

That's more like it from the 00Z GFS. A train of showers and potential storms straight from Spain a week today.

Just for fun at this stage of course. ECM having none of it and puts us back into those pesky northeasterlies instead!

Looks like it's getting ready, some nice accas at the moment.

IMG_20210418_122551.jpg

IMG_20210418_122643.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
22 hours ago, Lance M said:

All gone now sadly, models all favouring the ECM evolution. This could be the least interesting April I've ever known, convection-wise!

Posted
8 hours ago, Lance M said:

All gone now sadly, models all favouring the ECM evolution. This could be the least interesting April I've ever known, convection-wise!

Doesn't always mean a bad outlook though, I don't remember much from 2017 or 2018 but got a decent Season overall in both of them. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

Doesn't always mean a bad outlook though, I don't remember much from 2017 or 2018 but got a decent Season overall in both of them. 

Not really. 2018 had some decent storms in the spring, but the actual summer was barren.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Not really. 2018 had some decent storms in the spring, but the actual summer was barren.

I must have got lucky then, I remember a great Season.

Posted
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Looks quite convective this evening around the central south. Some lovely little cauliflower tops, can’t wait for the season to start

Got one earlier in the South East. 

IMG_20210420_174407.jpg

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 2