Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Songs You Used to Like But Now.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

What are songs you used to like that now make you cringe, for whatever reason, when you hear them now? I don't mean ones you liked as a kid but have now grown out of,  but rather the ones that are decent songs to begin with, but circumstances have turned you against them.

For me, this thread has been inspired by Spotify.  I have several different playlists which I like to put on Spotify on my phone while I'm working from home. At the end of each one Spotify starts playing its suggestions based on the playlist.

EVERY SINGLE TIME of late I seem to get played "What A Good Year For The Roses" by Elvis Costello as one of the first two  such suggestions.  The last straw was this morning when I fancied a quick listen to a song I had second from bottom of a playlist of very Irish songs.  It played that song, the last song on the playlist and then, you've guessed it, straight on to the Elvis Costello song.

So now, instead of enjoying it, I just find myself screaming and swearing at my phone!!!

Edited by Timmytour
    typo in title!
    • Timmytour changed the title to Songs You Used to Like But Now.....
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Can’t think of any specific song other than perhaps Lulu - can’t sing unless she shouts.   I sometimes think the joke/funny songs start to to annoy me - like Ernie the fastest milkman in the west.  Very funny but after a couple of plays it gets annoying.  Always smile at it again if I haven’t heard it in a while.  

Elton John songs annoy me these days.  To me anyway down the years as he got older, I feel he has become such a pain in the derriere that when his dulcet tones come on the radio, I instantly think “ oh no not him again” 🙈😂🤐 

Edited by Snowycat
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
    15 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Can’t think of any specific song other than perhaps Lulu - can’t sing unless she shouts.  

No No No No No.... cant agree with this at all!

• Like 1
    Posted

Novelty type songs.... lily the pink, some dave dee tracks, but usually i dont dislike anything that i was really fond of. Im more tired of them..

Posted

@mushymanrob 😂 ....okay, I’ll grant you that “To Sir with Love” was one of her better ones but “Shout” and “Boom Bang a Bang” set my teeth on edge..😬😬😬 

Edited by Snowycat
    • Like 1
    Posted
    2 hours ago, Snowycat said:

@mushymanrob 😂 ....okay, I’ll grant you that “To Sir with Love” was one of her better ones but “Shout” and “Boom Bang a Bang” set my teeth on edge..😬😬😬 

The probem is... most artists are remembered for their brash, loud, popularist tracks.. Dexys for example... Come on Eileen was huge, but they did far better tracks, just not commercially popular.
    Dont you want me - Human league, id suggest was their laziest track, it was basic, unsophisticated, simplistic pop - but its what jo public seem to prefer, they did far superior tracks to that.

• Like 2
    Posted
    54 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

The probem is... most artists are remembered for their brash, loud, popularist tracks.. Dexys for example... Come on Eileen was huge, but they did far better tracks, just not commercially popular.
    Dont you want me - Human league, id suggest was their laziest track, it was basic, unsophisticated, simplistic pop - but its what jo public seem to prefer, they did far superior tracks to that.

Funny you say that.  I watched a documentary on Sky Arts with the Hollies and they echoed this thinking.  Graham Nash wanted to move the Hollies on away more from the “pop” sound but it didn’t work for them and record sales dropped until they reverted back to the “pop” type songs.  It seemed this was largely why he split from the Hollies.  He wrote Marrakesh Express while with the Hollies but they wouldn’t record it as they didn’t think it would be commercially popular for them.  It was of course very successful for Crossby, Stills and Nash. 

Edited by Snowycat
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Snowycat said:

Funny you say that.  I watched a documentary on Sky Arts with the Hollies and they echoed this thinking.  Graham Nash wanted to move the Hollies on away more from the “pop” sound but it didn’t work for them and record sales dropped until they reverted back to the “pop” type songs.  It seemed this was largely why he split from the Hollies.  He wrote Marrakesh Express while with the Hollies but they wouldn’t record it as they didn’t think it would be commercially popular for them.  It was of course very successful for Crossby, Stills and Nash. 

Pop is full of that.... Eric Clapton left the Yardbirds because they were heading in the more Commercial route.... Paul Jones left Manfred Mann as they were heading towards pap pop - they hated Mightly Quinn and the later stuff like that but were contractually obliged to make money by courting the pop charts.

There was a creative explosion in British pop from 63-67, where many groups had free reign to pump out as many experimental tracks as they could. But big business soon saw there was money to be made, and pop music didnt earn much money, so businessmen like Don Arden (Sharon Osbournes dad) muscled in and made the artists money but by ditching their more creative material in favour of commercial success.

Me? i like the Hollies, a great melodic vocal band, good pop.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

When my grandson was only four, I 'treated' him to two of Rolf Harris's efforts -- Two Little Boys and I Want My Mummy.  Well, I certainly won't be 'treating' my great grandkids to either of those!

Edited by General Cluster
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
    5 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

Pop is full of that.... Eric Clapton left the Yardbirds because they were heading in the more Commercial route.... Paul Jones left Manfred Mann as they were heading towards pap pop - they hated Mightly Quinn and the later stuff like that but were contractually obliged to make money by courting the pop charts.

There was a creative explosion in British pop from 63-67, where many groups had free reign to pump out as many experimental tracks as they could. But big business soon saw there was money to be made, and pop music didnt earn much money, so businessmen like Don Arden (Sharon Osbournes dad) muscled in and made the artists money but by ditching their more creative material in favour of commercial success.

Me? i like the Hollies, a great melodic vocal band, good pop.

Somewhat ironic  really because I saw Paul Jones at a local venue 2 or 3 years ago and his set included all the Manfred Mann hits and as his backing band also included Tom McGuiness, some of Mcguinness Flints best known material.

The whole show was fantastic but Jones himself was exceptional. He had a great stage presence and preceded each song with a dialogue, be it about the song itself or just chatting to the audience. During the break he mingled with us mere mortals in the foyer, again chatting with the punters, signing autographs etc. He was the consumate professional but with a very modest and friendly persona.

Last but by no mean least, he was 76-77 at the time and unless you stood right next him you would never have known it. If he is still touring and you like the music I can't recommend him highly enough.

Posted
    15 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

Somewhat ironic  really because I saw Paul Jones at a local venue 2 or 3 years ago and his set included all the Manfred Mann hits and as his backing band also included Tom McGuiness, some of Mcguinness Flints best known material.

The whole show was fantastic but Jones himself was exceptional. He had a great stage presence and preceded each song with a dialogue, be it about the song itself or just chatting to the audience. During the break he mingled with us mere mortals in the foyer, again chatting with the punters, signing autographs etc. He was the consumate professional but with a very modest and friendly persona.

Last but by no mean least, he was 76-77 at the time and unless you stood right next him you would never have known it. If he is still touring and you like the music I can't recommend him highly enough.

Back in the 90's there was a rock-doc on tv... Rock Family Trees... Manfreds were covered in that, its where i got this info from.

Did you know legendary Jack Bruce played bass on "pretty flamingo"? he left soon after to join Cream. Paul Jones left the same time, and they shipped in Mike D'arbo as a replacement but had to change the title of their next hit from "jones" to "james" so not to be seen as antagonistic. (Semi Detatched Suburban Mr James)

Ironically Paul Jones went on to score solo hits which were.... pop ! (ive been a bad bad boy, High Time etc).

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

It's been a lovely day today and  there are always certain songs which always used to make me think of that first real warmth of the year.

One of them used to be "Everyone's Gone To The Moon" by Jonathan King. I don't think anybody's allowed to like that one any more!

The whole Gary Glitter thing these days is very awkward as well.  Imagine it transpired that Messi was a child abuser - I wonder how all Barcelona's successes would stand up in light of that!!!

Posted
    15 hours ago, Timmytour said:

It's been a lovely day today and  there are always certain songs which always used to make me think of that first real warmth of the year.

One of them used to be "Everyone's Gone To The Moon" by Jonathan King. I don't think anybody's allowed to like that one any more!

The whole Gary Glitter thing these days is very awkward as well.  Imagine it transpired that Messi was a child abuser - I wonder how all Barcelona's successes would stand up in light of that!!!

Its easy for me not to like gary glitter, i never did! lol

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
  • Location: Back in Edmonton Alberta(via Chelmsford, Exeter & Calgary)
    On 30/03/2021 at 10:01, Timmytour said:

Gary Glitter was hardly the Messi of the music world..like comparing Jimmy Saville with Laurence Olivier 

Posted
    On 29/03/2021 at 08:33, mushymanrob said:

No No No No No.... cant agree with this at all!

However whenever Lulu appears on TV, those songs are never used and it is always that ruddy song "Shout" and I groan.

• Like 2