Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

21.8C on the 25th March 1871 at Manchester

Weather-history

Posted

There was a very warm spell at the back end of March 1871, where maxima got into the 20Cs

Maxima recorded on the 24th March 1871

21.6C at Greenwich
21.1C at Leicester
20.8C at Dumfries
20.0C at Ayr
19.4C at Killaloe

The 25th of March 1871 was generally the warmest day of the month for many parts
21.8C at Manchester
21.1C at Leicester
20.6C at Waringstown
19.7C at Barnstaple

26th March 1871
20.6C at Skipton
20.4C at Camden Square

NOAA_1_1871032512_2.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

There was a very warm spell at the back end of March 1871, where maxima got into the 20Cs

Maxima recorded on the 24th March 1871

21.6C at Greenwich
21.1C at Leicester
20.8C at Dumfries
20.0C at Ayr
19.4C at Killaloe

The 25th of March 1871 was generally the warmest day of the month for many parts
21.8C at Manchester
21.1C at Leicester
20.6C at Waringstown
19.7C at Barnstaple

26th March 1871
20.6C at Skipton
20.4C at Camden Square

NOAA_1_1871032512_2.png

Very impressive spell- the temps were even more impressive than the 2012 spell in NW England by the looks of it. Looks like the spell didn't last as long as 2012 though.

I always think that Manchester is favourably positioned in spring warm spells and often ranks highly in those sort of spells.

Inland location and sheltered from the south east and east by the Pennines.

Probably our best chance of being the warmest place in the UK on a given day is between late March and mid May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
5 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Very impressive spell- the temps were even more impressive than the 2012 spell in NW England by the looks of it. Looks like the spell didn't last as long as 2012 though.

I always think that Manchester is favourably positioned in spring warm spells and often ranks highly in those sort of spells.

Inland location and sheltered from the south east and east by the Pennines.

Probably our best chance of being the warmest place in the UK on a given day is between late March and mid May.

Yes a very warm spell.

Doncaster is generally the warmest place in the North but if we were looking at highs in March they belong to two Yorkshire locations at Wakefield and Whitby on the same day in 1965 recording 25 deg on the 29th March 1965.I think both were helped by the Fohn effect but it amazing how Whitby could do that being on the coast against the cold North sea,and even more amazing it was the hottest day of the entire year in Whitby.

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
3 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Yes a very warm spell.

Doncaster is generally the warmest place in the North but if we were looking at highs in March they belong to two Yorkshire locations at Wakefield and Whitby on the same day in 1965 recording 25 deg on the 29th March 1965.I think both were helped by the Fohn effect but it amazing how Whitby could do that being on the coast against the cold North sea,and even more amazing it was the hottest day of the entire year in Whitby.

I still think west of the Pennines is better in spring in general due to the higher likelihood of easterlies. Later on places like Doncaster do better I find.

West Wales is also favoured at this time of year- places like Porthmadog and Aberystwyth and my money would be on places like that in spring rather than Yorkshire.

I know Wakefield had the March record more than once I think but we haven't seen that sort of temperature in that area in spring in recent decades.

Posted
6 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Yes a very warm spell.

Offshore breeze surely. That's what you'd expect from southerlies along the North Yorks coast. Ditto for easterlies and Aberystwyth.