Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

ICELANDIC VOLCANO ERUPTS AND BIG SIZEMIC ACTIVITY IN JAPAN

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

800 years since a volcano in that region last erupted.

It does make you wonder how climate is modelled against such events.

• Like 1

Posted

The 2010 Iceland volcano probably contributed to the cold December that year, but by April 2010( the time of the volcano), the U.K. had already been through 2 cold winters, 08/09, and 2009/10, so not sure if the volcano would have added anything.

Mount St Helens erupted in May 1980, but the following winter was fairly mild.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I’d not get overly excited, it’s generally accepted that VEI6 is required to impact global temperatures.

• Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

I’d not get overly excited, it’s generally accepted that VEI6 is required to impact global temperatures.

Personally I think not just VEI6 is needed but also a  frequency of them. After all the last VEI6 was Mount Pinatubo  in 1991 which was the biggest since the Krakatoa eruption in 1883, and temperatures have, if anything, accelerated since then.   But that came in isolation in the last 108 years whereas 1912 which saw the last previous VEI6, was the fourth in 104 years.

I don't think the relative lack of powerful eruptions is  the overriding  factor in global warming, but I think it makes a contribution towards it.

Posted
1 hour ago, Ross90 said:

Maybe if yellowstone erupts we'll notice something. 

If that happens, we are all toast. Temps will be will be sub zero for months on end across the globe after that. 

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

If that happens, we are all toast. Temps will be will be sub zero for months on end across the globe after that. 

Months?????

Posted
17 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Months?????

More likely years. Basically a nuclear ash covered winter.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

More likely years. Basically a nuclear ash covered winter.

I was trying to give the covid era people some hope, that if something like that happened now, we could ride it out for 6 months lol.

I know, seriously it would be decades of freezing cold weather. The end of mankind. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

For some reason I quite fancy that. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I was trying to give the covid era people some hope, that if something like that happened now, we could ride it out for 6 months lol.

I know, seriously it would be decades of freezing cold weather. The end of mankind. 

No the last time a Supervolcano erupted people survived with only basic Tools and no way of knowing about the Ash or surviving in the Cold, Sure Politics would be a bit off but here if we had Masks like we do now we could Survive the small amount of Sulphuric Dioxide, we aren't as heavily reliant on Crops as we used to be, we could in a Couple of Years switch to genetic modified Food and Drink, Medicine would be a problem and where the main Riots will come from, nothing Boris can't handle. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

We are less able to survive if a supervolcano erupts as we now very dependant on technology which a lot of which would be put out of action. Unlikely to happen in our live times thankfully.

Posted
35 minutes ago, The PIT said:

We are less able to survive if a supervolcano erupts as we now very dependant on technology which a lot of which would be put out of action. Unlikely to happen in our live times thankfully.

Apparently Yellows tone is 10,000 Years overdue but wont Erupt for 100,000 Years. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Apparently Yellows tone is 10,000 Years overdue but wont Erupt for 100,000 Years. 

Or look to Lake Taupo, New Zealand.

The Taupo Eruption (around 180AD ish) was the most violent eruption known in the world in the last 5000 years.

Mark Bebbington, a Professor in Geostatistics at Massey University, has looked at the probability of another Taupo eruption..... between 0.5 and 1.3 per cent within the next 500 years.

"So we're unlikely to see an eruption in our lifetimes," he said.

"On the other hand, the same could be said of winning Lotto, and sometimes the low probability comes up."

• Thanks 1

Posted

Something will happen eventually. Asteroid, comet hitting the earth, super volcano, alien invasion or an all out nuclear war. 

It’s just a question of when, not if. 

La Palma is another event that would cause a massive upset. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
14 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Yup though a few VEI5's have manged to have a small impact. Depends also on the level of sulphuric gases emitted from the volcano and it's location. Over equatorial regions, the emissions are more likely to get high enough in the atmosphere to have an impact on global temperatures. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Something will happen eventually. Asteroid, comet hitting the earth, super volcano, alien invasion or an all out nuclear war. 

It’s just a question of when, not if. 

La Palma is another event that would cause a massive upset. 

Cascadia fault another.... No one realised how big an earthquake threat existed in the American Northwest until finally scientist pieced together the evidence of sea creature fossils found 100s of miles from the sea and strange Red Indian folklore and legends, with the records meticulously kept by the Japanese for centuries and one in particular they had around the 1700 mark of the "tsunami from nowhere!". It turned out that a huge earthquake had hit just off the coast of the Northwest US, measuring over 9 on the richter scale.  It's another "anyday now" scenario.   

Like a lot of these things it will mean disaster on a regional scale. Yes Yellowstone would be a larger regional scale, but it would be the end of Man, just a helluva lot of men, women and children, and comfort levels. 

I do sometimes wonder what the impact the Boxing Day Tsunami would have had on Europe without any news media?  I think hardly any at all! 

Posted

Eventually Humanity will die out,even if we survive the Sun's expansion or collapse evntually the fate of the Universe wll catch up on us, Scientists have theorised about the compustion of the Atom, something we could not survive, sometimes you hav to accept something like Climate Change and use your limited Time to do what you can and that is what a lot of Governments dont understand,Nature will only look after us if we look after her.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Eventually Humanity will die out,even if we survive the Sun's expansion or collapse evntually the fate of the Universe wll catch up on us, Scientists have theorised about the compustion of the Atom, something we could not survive, sometimes you hav to accept something like Climate Change and use your limited Time to do what you can and that is what a lot of Governments dont understand,Nature will only look after us if we look after her.

To be fair that limited time is still in the hundreds of millions of years, maybe even 1bn before tbe oceans boil off and earth is uninhabitable. Plenty of time to move off the earth and out of the solar system.

I've always thought the most important moment in human history will be the day we land people on Mars because it'll prove that we can get to other planets which is what we'll need to do to survive.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

To be fair that limited time is still in the hundreds of millions of years, maybe even 1bn before tbe oceans boil off and earth is uninhabitable. Plenty of time to move off the earth and out of the solar system.

I've always thought the most important moment in human history will be the day we land people on Mars because it'll prove that we can get to other planets which is what we'll need to do to survive.

You could argue the Moon Landings began the age of exploration and Technology.

• Like 1

Posted

Maybe an alien invasion like this will happen lol. 

I vaguely remember seeing this for the first time back in June 1982 on U.K. tv, and it scared the hell out of me. Think it was a Saturday during that thundery period in June.

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1