Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When do you think we will get our first proper thunderstorms?

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Hopefully may, June. Hope we get a good ol spanish plume with storms all night this year, haven't had that since July 2017. Was very jealous last June with all the big storms heading up the midlands northwards while here we didn't see any. 

Posted

Yeah, 2020 was hit and miss. London missed the June storms, but we had an afternoon one sometime in June. 

We had a few storms in early and mid august. Most of the time though, I was in the wrong side of London, while a storm was elsewhere.

I remember one occasion while in the city area, and a storm broke out in Ealing and west London, but I was at work. Could hear the rumbling and see the high storm clouds, but central London that day missed out.

Another day, while central London was getting hammered, I was sitting at home in west London. All I heard last year was distant storms, but there were plenty of them about.

We are overdue a big late evening or overnight storm, similar to May 2018 or July 2017. Think it will happen this time round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Yeah, we've not had a proper huge storm (at least an hour and at least some of it overhead) since July 2017 here either.  June 17th last year had an ok storm, and I missed 1 on August 13th which was apparently OK ish.  Long overdue I think..

Just for fun I guess we could have a late may plume like 2017 which will deliver

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Pretty good for thunder since 2016 here (not sure about 2017 actually) so I’ll pump for May/June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Early August I reckon. Though it will be fairly hit and miss, which is often the case. Most places will just get the odd rumble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Really want a decent day time storm they are rare here, only seem to get them at night recently. Love watching storm clouds roll in getting darker and darker as it approaches. Don't get to see any of that at night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

I reckon May or June, depends if last Year is becoming the new normal. 

Posted

I would like it in this order.

A late May overnight storm, a daytime storm in June, several days with rumbles of thunder like 2018.

Some more overnight storms in July, and a daytime storm in early to mid August, similar to the daytime darkness storm of august 6th 1981, and finally a late summer storm on the third Friday of august, similar to 1987. I remember that one approached London after 8pm, late evening into night time storm. 

Another June 1994 storm would be also good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I reckon June will be when we could see some juicy ones getting going. Lincolnshire will no doubt be a safe bet. The Northwest saw its best year in decades last year! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I would like it in this order.

A late May overnight storm, a daytime storm in June, several days with rumbles of thunder like 2018.

Some more overnight storms in July, and a daytime storm in early to mid August, similar to the daytime darkness storm of august 6th 1981, and finally a late summer storm on the third Friday of august, similar to 1987. I remember that one approached London after 8pm, late evening into night time storm. 

Another June 1994 storm would be also good.

Interesting. We normally get a few daytime ones before a night show here. All depends on how cyclonic April and May are though.