Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Constantly Cloudy Weather - Lancashire??????

harold

Posted

Hello - I am new here - hope this is in the right place.

Am I imagining things or has the weather in Lancashire been particularly cloudy of late.  By that I mean the last 9 months or so......

From memory I seem to recall that we had weeks of good weather during the first part of lockdown in 2020 apart from April which wasn't so good.  Then we had a few nice (hot) days here and there until about July and then ever since after that we have only had odd nice days here there.

The rest has been cloudy and miserable.  Weeks and weeks without seeing the sun.  It seems to me we either have 100% cloud or 0% cloud and very few days of anything in between.  IIRC it has been like this since JULY last year!

This doesn't seem normal.  I cannot remember the last time we had a WEEK of good weather.  99 times out of 100 times I look out of the window all I can see is GREY!

Anyone like to offer comment.  Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
23 minutes ago, harold said:

Am I imagining things or has the weather in Lancashire been particularly cloudy of late.  By that I mean the last 9 months or so......

From memory I seem to recall that we had weeks of good weather during the first part of lockdown in 2020 apart from April which wasn't so good.  Then we had a few nice (hot) days here and there until about July and then ever since after that we have only had odd nice days here there.

The rest has been cloudy and miserable.  Weeks and weeks without seeing the sun.  It seems to me we either have 100% cloud or 0% cloud and very few days of anything in between.  IIRC it has been like this since JULY last year!

This doesn't seem normal.  I cannot remember the last time we had a WEEK of good weather.  99 times out of 100 times I look out of the window all I can see is GREY!

I remember many cloudy years during my days in Cheshire and working in Manchester. Always seemed more rain as you headed towards the Ribble Valley. As for the last 12 months, may be some of the Lancastrian members on here will enlighten you .

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
43 minutes ago, harold said:

Nothing unusual really away from Spring. This is the cloudiest region in England after all. I used to travel across the Pennines for work years ago and if I had a pound for the amount of times I crossed into Yorkshire and the sun came out I'd be a millionaire. Yet it was dull/overcast on our side.

Later this month and into April could be nice if the long range forecast is correct. Like last year Spring is often our best season in the NW for dry sunny weather. 

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

Here down in London every month since October has been cloudier than average. Horrific run so it’s not just a north thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I was just thinking yesterday how utterly crap and stagnant this weather is. Seems never ending.

Posted

I am just trying to get a feel for if I am imaging this or if it has actually been miserable for months.

You know those big fluffy clouds that you see on a nice day.  Can't remember the last time I saw those.  

Very little wind.  Just dull grey skies.   Cannot remember the last time we had a full week of nice sunny weather, apart from a few days when was -minus temps and everything covered in snow.

Could it be something to do with reduced air traffic out of Manchester Airport heading north?   Nothing much to churn the atmosphere up.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 hour ago, harold said:

Don’t worry it’s nothing new.

been cloudy in this part of Lancashire for the majority of the last 50 years

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Hello and welcome. 

This thread may be of interest to you as it is specifically about the weather conditions in and around your neck of the woods: https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/95090-north-west-regional-discussion-feb-2021-onwards/

But what you have been describing is essentially what has been happening in the West Midlands and I suspect many other places also. I am no expert by any means, but the current anticyclone started off with bringing fine and reasonably sunny weather, but then along came what is known as an 'anticyclonic gloom' which has been the case over the last few days. 

Posted
55 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Hello and welcome. 

This thread may be of interest to you as it is specifically about the weather conditions in and around your neck of the woods: https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/95090-north-west-regional-discussion-feb-2021-onwards/

But what you have been describing is essentially what has been happening in the West Midlands and I suspect many other places also. I am no expert by any means, but the current anticyclone started off with bringing fine and reasonably sunny weather, but then along came what is known as an 'anticyclonic gloom' which has been the case over the last few days. 

That's really interesting, thanks.

• Like 1

Posted

Am I thinking this right that an anti-cyclonic gloom is sort of high pressure sat over the top of a cloud layer (squashing it down), rather than the normal clearer skies we would expect?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, harold said:

Am I thinking this right that an anti-cyclonic gloom is sort of high pressure sat over the top of a cloud layer (squashing it down), rather than the normal clearer skies we would expect?

Summer this setup would be horrible! grey and 16 degrees, late Nov to late Jan should be much better, clear skies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
12 minutes ago, harold said:

Depending on the location of the anticyclone, it can at times bring along moisture with it which then results in the dreary cloudy skies we have been experiencing. It can at times result in rain, but thanks to the high pressure this rain is very light at most. Later on in Spring and Summer, the sun is strong enough to burn away all that cloud, so anticyclonic glooms during the warmer months aren't as common as they are during autumn, winter and early spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
7 hours ago, harold said:

You must have a short memory.

I dont have figures for your area as Ringway is now closed but just over the hill here there is nothing out of the ordinary,in fact it seems to me a long time since we had a very dull month or two.There have been a few years in the last decade with a December,Jan and Feb as dull as we have just had.In 1992/93  the 4 months from November to feb were 50% duller than the last 3 months!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Down here in the South it does seem cloudier than it's ever been. Except for that April/May period last year, which was notable for its distinct lack of clouds, even high cloud and Cumulus.

It's certainly giving the conspiracy bunch more fuel in their beliefs our skies are being blocked out purposefully. I don't believe any of that rubbish, but I'm pretty much certain that it's just more cloudy than it used to be, in general. For example, winters when I was younger had a lot of clear, crisp days, but winters now only seem to have one or two of those at most.

Edited by Lance M

Posted

Last Spring was very sunny in Cumbria, became much cloudier by july - normal service it seems. The rest of 2020 I don't think was especially cloudy here, and remember Cumbria is the cloudiest county in the UK on average! cloudier than Lancashire. This year has been generally sunnier than normal I think, this last week has been great for sunshine here.. we've not had a very active atlantic bringing copious low cloud. The worst airstream is the SW one, terrible for South Lakes in particular. North parts of Lancashire can see alot of cloud in such set ups as well, but it tends to be better in central and east Lancashire. 

Many time I have approached junction 36 from the south and the clouds have invaded, having left a sunny Lancashire, and by the time reach home its fully overcast or drizzly rain. Look out from Morecambe Bay in the height of summer to the Lakeland Fells and you often see ominous grey clouds, or just a grey mantle.

Our sunniest period is upon us April - June.. also driest. July marks the start of the 9 month wet season! 

Edited by damianslaw