IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
17 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Ben Lomond was looking glorious this evening:

20210802_191604.thumb.jpg.2824c84278d833937b1e46b1f275d404.jpg

How's everyone?

Those of us in the south-west have been doing rather well, thank you for asking, with one of the best summers that I can remember for a fair old while. Very much like your photo generally, with lots of sunshine, blue sky and little in the way of wind, storms or even rain. You chose a good time to be here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Decent day here with a high of 20.2 according to the weather station up the road but the car was showing 22C late morning in Alford. Clouding over now but it's been largely sunny most of the day and a good day for an afternoon jaunt with the mountain bikes around Bennachie with my brother-in-law and my two boys. The later trashed us oldies on the climbs but I smoked them on the downhills. Highlight of the day being my 14yr old, after making fun of how slowly I was doing the climbs, then saying "how do you go so fast?" at  the bottom of the first real downhill section. Partly its experience, but secretly it may be more to do with the effect of gravity acting on my somewhat overweight body.

• Like 4

Posted

Ah, good to see the sunshine back after a few days absence.

Alford park in high summer...

ss.thumb.jpg.1a3115104b2c8a5547191f6caa5e25d8.jpg

A 50:50 mix of cloud/sun for most of the day, clouding over at 4pm and we've currently got a light shower of rain - nuisance value, wetting surfaces and no more.

Weather station here recording a max of 20.1c with light to occasionally moderate W/SW winds.

Definitely seeing more planes flying around these days, the vapour trails from those today actually making the sun quite hazy at times, par exemple....

rr.thumb.jpg.481a2451910648cb38fb3868da1e05bc.jpg

Not often you see so many thunder symbols for here, reality will be a lot less spectacular I suspect...

image.thumb.png.bff64444fb40b4a00770593822ffd0e8.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny spells here today with a max of 20.5C so feeling quite warm. A bit cloudier this evening with a rogue shower a wee while ago.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny spells again today with a max of 21.4C so quite pleasant to be out and about in. Tried the golf clubs for the first time in months and wished I hadn't.  

• Like 3

Posted

Yesterday provided us with 4.6mm of rain between 9am and noon, and then the cloud broke up and by evening the sky was mostly clear. Today has been a constant transition of dark cloud, light cloud and clear sky that came in waves all day. Mostly though the greatest impression is one of reducing heat, which I find to be very welcome.

Temperature today maxed out at 22.8⁰C at 16:41 up from a minimum of 7.5⁰C at 05:22, humidity is 74% currently, wind has been between 0 and 11mph between southeasterly and southwesterly, pressure is 1006.7hPa steady, there’s been 0.2mm of rain in the last 24 hours (but I missed it somehow), and cloud cover has varied from 1/8 to 7/8 and back throughout the day.

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely summer's day after the deluge of rain yesterday evening (never write in here that an ongoing shower has nuisance value,  it turned into a lengthy period of rain topping out at 11mm).

Max of 21.1c with light to moderate W/WNW winds.

Shower clouds tried to bubble up in the morning, as here in Monymusk...

monymusk.thumb.jpg.a3a785c3158bcb53e3be45c691033b4a.jpg

However, nothing here in the afternoon bar good spells of sunshine.  Others not so lucky, with hints of a dying shower this evening over to the west...

shower.thumb.jpg.c246adca17ca68c6f656ab968dd52ba7.jpg

Lovely sunset as well...

sunset.thumb.jpg.f3ff27eda9fb36b11c573fbb875fb750.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Most of the rain incoming looks fairly sporadic to later on might not be as bad today as initially thought

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Really moist skew t readings similar for tomorrow so I’d say any showers and storms likely to produce quite a lot of rain maybe a bit of flooding in a few areas  9159AB1F-8526-41C2-846E-F15CDB5386A1.thumb.png.cc7c1c9783be0da5ac094c3e88c7951a.png97B55F8C-CDCE-4885-AAE5-7EE7DF49F096.thumb.png.ee26dc97cbf6af492bb26b9238b0f0d9.png 
can see Pwat values of 3 on there “2.00 inches or above = very high moisture content” 

WWW.THEWEATHERPREDICTION.COM

• Like 4

Posted

It's been a busy couple of days in Puffy World. Yesterday I went up to my late aunt's house in Clarkston to change a lightbulb before the new owners arrive on Monday, and today I went to the doctors' surgery to have blood tests and a blood pressure test. Well, I call it "the doctors' surgery" but, since the first Covid lockdown, it's become the nurses' surgery because all the doctors have buggered off and neither hide nor hair of them have been seen since. Presumably they're all away making £60 a pop for dishing out Covid jabs. Useless specimens. Anyway, the good news is that I have both blood and blood pressure, which is nice, and the nurses have everything under control, which is always the case anyway.

Temperature is currently 19.1⁰C down a bit from today’s max of 19.6⁰C at 12:58 and up from a minimum of 13.8⁰C at 06:15, humidity is 58%, wind between 4 and 11mph southerly, pressure has dropped to 996.5hPa and is still dropping quickly, there’s been no rain n the last 24 hours but it doesn’t feel far away and cloud cover is 7/8.

• Like 4

Posted

Much cloudier day than yesterday with a stiff SE wind all day, first time in quite a few weeks that the wind was noticeably strong.

Lot of low cloud rolling in from the SE, example below, but its stayed dry.

Feeling quite warm in the brief sunny intervals, mild otherwise with a max of 19c.

d.thumb.jpg.746b8da8f6e49ffbcef33cef3c9a3d5d.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Sunny intervals early with a max of 19.8C. Cloudier as day went on with one sharp shower. A strong SE wind throughout.

4D58A725-142A-4131-9879-B8ED47660804.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Hi all, have a lot of thread reading to catch up on but I hope you're all well. It's been a pretty awesome summer weather wise and I'm nearly as brown as when we go to France. Highlight of the summer was a week in Glencoe in a cottage a mile up a track with no WiFi or mobile signal (the kids weren't best pleased). Had the most amazing view of the Aonach Eagach from the front room, spent a fair amount of time glued to a telescope watching the people on the ridge. Did my first ever scramble up pink rib opposite the Buachaille Etive Mor (I pretty much moaned the whole way up, cried on the way down then boasted about having done it ?‍♀️). The cottage owners had a lovely black lab that our pup fell in love with. Highly recommended Glencoe Mountain Cottages if anyone fancies a real escape from the Internet. Looking forward to catching up with you all and keeping my eye out for some ⚡ over the next couple of days. Some pics below. 

FB_IMG_1627832142621.jpg

DSC_2870.JPG

79F6392188A944A18446762333CF6BA2.jpg

FB_IMG_1627910876621.jpg

FB_IMG_1628192730055.jpg

FB_IMG_1628192719633.jpg

FB_IMG_1628192744307.jpg

DSC_2799.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Puffy I agree totally re GPs! God knows what they're so busy doing but it isn't seeing patients.

First rain in ages here this morning, garden is happy.

• Like 5

Posted

Had some rain last night (hallelujiah)! looks like the north getting soaked colours on radar looking nasty already

• Like 3

Posted
33 minutes ago, NUT said:

looks like the north getting soaked colours on radar looking nasty already

Indeed, welcome to late autumn going by the weather just now.

Torrential rain being blown in on a strong and gusty ESE wind, so flies straight into your face when you go out.

As for the thunderstorms that were forecast to accompany the rain, looking at the lightning radar the nearest strikes are in the Adriatic 

Only saving grace is that its reasonably mild at 15.2c.

• Like 4

Posted

Woke to some pretty heavy rain during the night which is the first notable rain I can remember for some time. Hopefully everything should green up a little now as it’s all looking very brown. Looking pretty wet in the northeast.

Bit of a stuffy feel so will see what bubbles up today. 

• Like 3

Posted

Heavy downpours and the first flashes and bangs of the day. 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Some rumbles here too from the cell over Barrhead/Darnley.

Looks like it got going a bit more after it passed over me. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Looks like it got going a bit more after it passed over me. 

Yep, the one out between Paisley and Greenock is looking pretty strong now - plenty of rumbles here but moving away.

There is a line of cells really getting going between greenock all the way across to Livingston really but nothing overhead here. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Big cell over central Glasgow just now. Missed it on the south side but looks like being intense over there. Some loud rumbles of thunder…

image.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Looks like it’s organised into a lot of rain for the north and east of the city. Sun poking through here on the south side in contrast.

• Like 1