Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards


Recommended Posts

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Windchill of -8 this morning with a low of -3.2 with heavy snow falling, proper powder snow too.

Well this winter hasn't been one with a lack of snowy pictures,but I suppose it's obligatory to post them even in April.

Posted Images

Posted
  • Location: N.E. Scotland South Side Moray Firth 100m asl
  • Location: N.E. Scotland South Side Moray Firth 100m asl
    1 hour ago, Norrance said:

    A couple of days ago I saw two large groups of oyster catchers down by the ponds at the Riverside nature park in Dundee. Don't think that I have seen so many in one place before. Last year quite a few nested nearby so maybe even more this year.

    We used to have roughly one pair per field but now on a walk this this evening I counted 10 badger latrines just round the steading and farmhouse.

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 150m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 150m asl

    Well today we reached the giddy heights of 17.2deg.C at 14:19 and a maximum gust of merely 6mph in a very largely cloudless sky. It really feels like Spring has sprung. With garden entertaining about to come back in to fashion I'm off to B&Q tomorrow to peruse some patio furniture. I feel something Roman in appearance might be appropriate, with a portico and a length of Hadrian's wall. And a grape peeler.

    • Like 8
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256
    11 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

    Well today we reached the giddy heights of 17.2deg.C at 14:19 and a maximum gust of merely 6mph in a very largely cloudless sky. It really feels like Spring has sprung. With garden entertaining about to come back in to fashion I'm off to B&Q tomorrow to peruse some patio furniture. I feel something Roman in appearance might be appropriate, with a portico and a length of Hadrian's wall. And a grape peeler.

    Do you do Frankie Howerd impressions? Up Pompeii!!! 

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Glasgow
  • Location: Glasgow
    12 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

    Well today we reached the giddy heights of 17.2deg.C at 14:19 and a maximum gust of merely 6mph in a very largely cloudless sky. It really feels like Spring has sprung. With garden entertaining about to come back in to fashion I'm off to B&Q tomorrow to peruse some patio furniture. I feel something Roman in appearance might be appropriate, with a portico and a length of Hadrian's wall. And a grape peeler.

    I'd get there quick, i was in our local B&Q last night and it was looking a bit bare in places that had been stocked to the brim 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I had all my gardening and lounging supplies in!

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 150m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 150m asl
    3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

    Do you do Frankie Howerd impressions? Up Pompeii!!! 

    That's exactly what I had in mind.

    pompeii.jpg

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Nr Sauchen, Aberdeenshire, 100m ASL
  • Location: Nr Sauchen, Aberdeenshire, 100m ASL

    Oh well, back to reality.

    Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ all day, light winds and a max of 10.1c.

    Forecast is for sunshine tomorrow, so today will hopefully have been a one day aberration.

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 150m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
  • Location: Rural East Ayrshire 150m asl

    Four in a row, four in a row.

    Hello!

    Hello!

    Four in a row, four in a row. (Sunny, warm days that is. Thought I'd bring a bit of chav into the proceedings.)

    Temperature 14.8deg.C down from a maximum of 16.5deg.C at 14:24 and up from a minimum of 0.3deg.C at 06:26, humidity is 66%, wind 0 to 3mph generally southerly, pressure is 1034.5hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24hours and cloud cover has varied from 1/8 to 3/8 throughout the day.

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Aberfoyle 50m asl
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
  • Location: Aberfoyle 50m asl
    26 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

    Four in a row, four in a row.

    Hello!

    Hello!

    Four in a row, four in a row. (Sunny, warm days that is. Thought I'd bring a bit of chav into the proceedings.)

    Temperature 14.8deg.C down from a maximum of 16.5deg.C at 14:24 and up from a minimum of 0.3deg.C at 06:26, humidity is 66%, wind 0 to 3mph generally southerly, pressure is 1034.5hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24hours and cloud cover has varied from 1/8 to 3/8 throughout the day.

    It’s looking very likely that the atmosphere is going to crash in spectacular fashion before we reach 10 in a row 😁

    another lovely  day here although only managed 16c today down from the scorching 19c yesterday 

     

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
    8 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

    Cooler and overcast today.Had one of those down days in farming .Suspicious that our four year  old bull was showing signs of swelling in brisket area and a bit lethargic had vet out and he diagnosed heart failure. He has produced some very nice calves and was  a very easy going character. Vet said it was just real bad luck

    Normally keep them to eight or nine years old by which time arthritis is a problem. He is insured so financially we"ll be OK but its always hard to take the loss of a young animal.Always had bulls individually  insured as they seem  to have  lots of ways to incapacitate themselves.

    And so begins a week of paper work

    Sorry to hear that, NL... I was only today trying to make conversation with the cows and goats.

    • Like 3
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dundee
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
  • Location: Dundee

    Started off sunny this morning then clouded over for a time. Sun came back out in the later afternoon and it felt pleasantly warm  though actually 6C cooler than yesterday. Max of 12.0C and min of 3.7C today.

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ancrum
  • Weather Preferences: HOT SUNSHINE!
  • Location: Ancrum

    Dull and cool here today, real disappointment. Crows making a hell of a racket all day in That Tree. Wish they'd shut up.

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Nr Sauchen, Aberdeenshire, 100m ASL
  • Location: Nr Sauchen, Aberdeenshire, 100m ASL

    Considering that the max was 10.1c today, impressive that the temperature outside is still 8.0c.

    Pity it's 100% cloud cover as there is potential for a Aurora storm later this evening.

    One of the kids went out to the garage to raid the food store there, came in all fearty.

    All because this was guarding the door!

    image.thumb.png.0d577ecf36c584d55d911620eab385c6.png

    Another good sign that spring is well and truly here.  Even more impressive is that we are 100's of metres from any water, so this fellow had a fair old trek.

    • Like 7
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Condorrat, Cumbernauld G67
  • Location: Condorrat, Cumbernauld G67

    More wispy cloud and breeze around today but sun's still out. What a crackerjack of a week it's been. More like it hopefully!

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256

    Pretty windy out!

    Oh I thought it was Thursday!

    Let's have a cup of tea then.

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Currie, SW Edinburgh, 140m (459ft) asl
  • Location: Currie, SW Edinburgh, 140m (459ft) asl

    Can't say I'd have much interest in this now!

    IMG_20210320_195752.thumb.jpg.0c6a7cbcb396d96efe28a592b6ce73f3.jpg

    Last few days have been magic and after a fantastic winter locally I'd like a good warm run now! A repeat of last spring, while unlikely, would be brilliant!

    • Like 9
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256
    12 minutes ago, 101_North said:

    Can't say I'd have much interest in this now!

    IMG_20210320_195752.thumb.jpg.0c6a7cbcb396d96efe28a592b6ce73f3.jpg

    Last few days have been magic and after a fantastic winter locally I'd like a good warm run now! A repeat of last spring, while unlikely, would be brilliant!

    A repeat of last spring but without the sodding lockdown would be welcome!!

    Can we do it? I've not been to the local co-op for 5 weeks but from what I'm hearing, social distancing appears to be half forgotten already. You just think, people are like lobotomised sheep, no memories and no thoughts apart from the next tuft of grass. Groovy, we're all getting vaccinated! No, there's millions of unvaccinated youngsters just waiting to have covid beach parties again. 

    • Like 7
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Banchory, Kincardineshire - 60m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Dry cold & snow / Summer - hot & sunny and thunderstorms
  • Location: Banchory, Kincardineshire - 60m ASL
    23 hours ago, Northernlights said:

    Cooler and overcast today.Had one of those down days in farming .Suspicious that our four year  old bull was showing signs of swelling in brisket area and a bit lethargic had vet out and he diagnosed heart failure. He has produced some very nice calves and was  a very easy going character. Vet said it was just real bad luck

    Normally keep them to eight or nine years old by which time arthritis is a problem. He is insured so financially we"ll be OK but its always hard to take the loss of a young animal.Always had bulls individually  insured as they seem  to have  lots of ways to incapacitate themselves.

    And so begins a week of paper work

    Not so good, do you have home bred bulls to replace him or will it be a trip to the next bull sales?

    Lovely morning on Deeside before cloud rolled in early afternoon. Got all the washing out and dried however before it started drizzling just after 5.

    High of 17.5c, up from overnight low of 0.4c and currently 8.2c. The drizzle didn’t amount to anything according to all the nearby stations including my own.

    • Like 8
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: N.E. Scotland South Side Moray Firth 100m asl
  • Location: N.E. Scotland South Side Moray Firth 100m asl
    6 minutes ago, Sanserit said:

    Not so good, do you have home bred bulls to replace him or will it be a trip to the next bull sales?

    Lovely morning on Deeside before cloud rolled in early afternoon. Got all the washing out and dried however before it started drizzling just after 5.

    High of 17.5c, up from overnight low of 0.4c and currently 8.2c. The drizzle didn’t amount to anything according to all the nearby stations including my own.

    Bought him straight from breeder so gave him a quick phone today to say I would be looking for another one once we get organised. Asked vet if he had any objections he had none as herd very high health status .  A bit breezy dry and overcast  today so helped Mrs Northernlights with a bit of floor washing while young Mr Northernlights did the cattle.

    Edited by Northernlights
    • Like 6
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Cold waves hitting Europe continue to threaten growers, is there a link to climate change?

      Much of Europe, not just the UK, has experienced unseasonably cold weather since the Easter Weekend. A plunge of cold arctic air brought by northerly winds early last week brought several nights of frost and even snow across large swathes of Europe, followed by another wave of cold arctic air spreads across much of Europe this week. The frosts causing damage to new growth in vineyards and orchardsa0spurred on by a late March heatwave, the vineyards of France werea0particularly badly affected.

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 4

      High pressure rules, but still chilly out the sun & watch out for a few showers

      High pressure in charge for the rest of the week but the airmass will be chilly, so feeling nippy out of the sun. Not entirely dry either, with scattered showers around the next few days, especially in the west. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      You'll need your coat because it's still cold out of the sun

      More April snow for Monday morning with a widespread frost. If you have outdoor plans this week, the chill in the air remains especially once the sun goes down. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather
    • Recently Browsing   1 member

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...