Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

A cloud has bubbled up in the heat of the midday sun. It's not much of a cloud but then it's only 6.8deg.C.

12 April 21 (2).jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Still cold but don't feel too bad with no wind and not as much cloud building say compared to previous days

• Like 4

Posted
On 11/04/2021 at 10:50, Mr Frost said:

Morning all

<snip>

@shuggee risk of frosts continues right through until next weekend (current output) - must be a new all time record approaching for you. (Total number of recorded air frosts - not sure what period you cover? Just Winter and Spring or all seasons combined?)

I've only lived in this spot for four winters, so don't have a long term record. But after last night's -7.7C it's at fifty eight now starting on 24 Sep 2020, as it's a "frost season" that I'm interested in. The snow day count is winter/spring though - not least because we haven't had a snow day in autumn in that timeframe!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

A cloud has bubbled up in the heat of the midday sun. It's not much of a cloud but then it's only 6.8deg.C.

12 April 21 (2).jpg

You could try poking it with a sharp stick...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

-3C overnight minimum but I wasn't up to see a frost apart from some frozen clumps of yesterday's soft hail. I'm glad the tomatoes weren't out in that!

It was nice and sunny till about 11 but mostly cloudy since. 

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

You could try poking it with a sharp stick...

I could try poking you with a sharp stick. Now there's dozens of the little blighters.

Temperature has, I think, maxed out at only 9.7deg.C but it feels much warmer in the sunshine. A really nice day.

12 April 21 02.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

-3C overnight minimum but I wasn't up to see a frost apart from some frozen clumps of yesterday's soft hail. I'm glad the tomatoes weren't out in that!

It was nice and sunny till about 11 but mostly cloudy since. 

I definitely went too early with my tomatoes, even though it's been cold my tomatoes have been getting >8 hrs a day of sunshine in my mini greenhouse so I'm now having to move 18 x 20cm tomato plants in and out every night 

• Like 6

Posted

Took Mrs Northernlights to Elgin at lunchtime for her jab today and even on the A96 there were patches of snow still lying next to shaded north facing woods.

Roads had   white dry salt like dust blowing off them reminicent of a day in late February and the countryside less green than it was two weeks ago. Couple of fields of winter rye which had been about 6 inches high looking very sorry for themselves after the frost.

On a positive note our spring barley is just breaking the surface this afternoon.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted

Still felt like a day in late winter, but we did manage to raise the max temperature to 6.5c, so the warmest it has been for quite a few days.

Must have been some heavy snow showers overnight as everything was white first thing, soon melting in the sun.

Cloud bubbled up from mid-morning onwards leading to the lightest of hail showers in the late afternoon.

Not a bad day overall, especially if you were in the sun.

B.thumb.jpg.48bc9639a2457fd36a9a042f083bd3c7.jpg

A.thumb.jpg.07368c3fb95f09bcf2b3007947906623.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Just out checking cattle disturbance and its already -3c .I suppose the high has taken over with cold air in place without any mild air from the Atlantic blowing it away so the cold spell continues.

• Like 8

Posted
7 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just out checking cattle disturbance and its already -3c .I suppose the high has taken over with cold air in place without any mild air from the Atlantic blowing it away so the cold spell continues.

Down to -4c again at 6.00am this morning but blue sky and sunshine compensation now.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

minus 5.7 lowest this morning with rock hard frost again, stunning vista again.  Remains of snow drifts holding on.

image.thumb.png.ea9c001741958a58ffd56511dfa08c68.pngimage.thumb.png.91581358ff4a2f07cf13398974d6bd9f.png

• Like 9

Posted

Early mornng sun picking out a tinge of green across the spring barley fields in spite of the frosty morning.

• Like 6

Posted

Small band of rain out to the west but staying away from us for now if we do get any shouldn't be that bad (clouded in after another clear start)

• Like 3

Posted

Day started off with wall to wall blue skies but clouds coming over from the north once again. Currently 11.6c, up from an overnight low of -3.3c.

I am so over this cold weather now and just want to get some heat although not much chance to get out in it as our office, along with the 22 other area offices in our organisation, are fully ensconced in IACS form filling for over 8000 farmers throughout Scotland. All would be well if the Rural Payments website speed would cope with the number of agents and farmers trying to access it at the same time.  The only upside of cold, showery weather is that farmers are more likely to find time to speak to us as they’re not in amongst field work, and a surprising number of Deeside farmers are ahead of themselves and have got their sowing done which is obviously down to a much drier than normal spring so far.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Minimum temps last night -1.1C / -6.0DP 

• Like 3

Posted

Showers didn't stay away infact really coming down at the moment

• Like 3

Posted

This morning was mainly overcast, which developed into light rain at lunchtime and then returned quickly to overcast, then, by mid-afternoon the cloud started breaking up and some sun got through. It's now heading back to overcast. I feel we've been overly overcast today.

Temperature reached a maximum of 10.9deg.C at 17:27 up from a minimum of 0.0deg.C at 06:03, humidity is 75%, wind is a very light southerly, pressure is 1034.0hPa steady, there's been 0.2mm of rain today and cloud cover is 7/8.

• Like 5