Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I think that I can safely say that autumn has arrived. It’s wet and cool and the birdsong has stopped. The inside temperature has dropped below 18⁰C for the first time in months. Am I downhearted? Not at all. It’s been a great spring and summer and I have a feeling that autumn and winter are going to be proper seasonal affairs too. Now where’s my waterproof?

Temperature is up to 13.3⁰C up from a minimum of 12.0⁰C at 10:47, humidity is 90%, there’s no wind registering, pressure is 1012.4hPa rising slowly, there’s been 4.4mm of rain since midnight and 6.2mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 7/8.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Still weirdly warm in Falkirk, it's been an amazing summer but I'm more than ready for some cooler weather. Have made it up quite a few Munros this year (including a couple of hateful pathless ones near Crianlarich). I've upped my Munro count to 25 (but I've done some quite a few times). Mr Snowidea is smugly near 150 but considering I'm short, overweight (obligatory lockdown stone added) and scared of heights, I'm quite chuffed with my count so far. Few pics below. 

FB_IMG_1627910876621.jpg

FB_IMG_1631555577971.jpg

DSC_2928.JPG

FB_IMG_1627832162499.jpg

DSC_2871.JPG

FB_IMG_1624118102351.jpg

DSC_2563.JPG

• Like 9

Posted

The temperature eventually got up to 17.0⁰C at 16:16 and the wind got up too, hitting 11mph at 17:32. Luckily no more rain fell so it turned out quite a usable afternoon. The apples are ready. Just in time for the pork.

19 Sept 21 2.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

First truly autumnal sunset with setting sun highlighting shower to east in pink . 20210919_191345.thumb.jpg.23d8c8494609ed833a5e9c1390a2d224.jpgCool now at 9c.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

A cool start to the day here with a temperature of 3c at 6am this morning. A beautiful morning with sunshine and very little cloud. Looks like a general cool down over the next few days with day time temps down to low teens or just below from high teens.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Starting to feel like autumn proper now. Overnight minimum of 4.8C and a lovely, sunny start to the morning. Autumnal Perthshire gold. Still a few swallows swooping around at Comrie Croft yesterday, but they'll be offski soon. The week ahead is looking more changeable, with a general trend of cooler days taking hold. Currently 11.1C and clouding over. 

• Like 5

Posted

Beautiful morning and infinitely better than the banal weather of the last few days.

First really cold overnight low for many months with a minimum of 2.4c; currently 9c and rising.

Light winds. 

Mind you, could do with a breezier setup now to get the wind turbines turning, the spike in energy prices is scary.  Inflation is coming in hard and is going to be a shock to the young ones that never lived in the 1970's/80's.

Get your pasta stocks in now as well, apparently the global Durum Wheat harvest has been a bit disastrous - link1, link2.

rr.thumb.jpg.7b691d37aa26e9b227ccb6af9f047606.jpg

image.thumb.png.507f9f1bfb7897bc402cd0c37047d73b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Quinach said:

Beautiful morning and infinitely better than the banal weather of the last few days.

First really cold overnight low for many months with a minimum of 2.4c; currently 9c and rising.

Light winds. 

Mind you, could do with a breezier setup now to get the wind turbines turning, the spike in energy prices is scary.  Inflation is coming in hard and is going to be a shock to the young ones that never lived in the 1970's/80's.

Get your pasta stocks in now as well, apparently the global Durum Wheat harvest has been a bit disastrous - link1, link2.

rr.thumb.jpg.7b691d37aa26e9b227ccb6af9f047606.jpg

image.thumb.png.507f9f1bfb7897bc402cd0c37047d73b.png

As a survivor of the 70s and 80s inflation when you changed a tractor every four years and you  got 50% more for the old one but the new one had doubled have been saying that this winter is going to the perfect example of the law of unintended consequences. The whole economy is heading for the perfect storm.

• Like 5

Posted

Right, so, a wee bit of a mistake last night; the wind didn’t get up to 11mph, that was my finger on the whirly thing trying to get the cobweb unstuck. There wuznae nae wind at a’.

Delighted for those of you in the Northeast enjoying a clear morning, sods, but here it’s largely overcast and struggling to build any sort of warmth. Temperature is 16.8⁰C up from a minimum of 5.9⁰C at 01:34, humidity is 78%, wind is 1 to 3mph southwesterly, pressure is 1022.8hPa steady, there’s been 0.2mm of rain today and cloud cover is 5/8 and clearing now.

Impressive effort @snowidea and some great photos.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had a lovely morning here and a fairly nice day. Feeling colder though.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A beautiful morning here too but it has clouded over a bit now with a freshening breeze. Feeling just a bit Autumnal first thing this morning for the first time this season with a heavy dew and a rare for this Summer/Autumn single figure minima. Now 17.2C .

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning fellow Kilties! Calm and cool this morning, just waiting for the light breeze to turn into a very strong breeze! Well seen it's the Equinox, although I saw hee-haw of the Harvest Moon last night. Temp round about 13/14c depending on which weather station I believe. Yep, Autumn definitely here, and very welcome it is too! 

• Like 7

Posted

Yesterday at lunchtime I thought that the clouds were clearing away. They weren’t. Quite the opposite. So, by mid-afternoon, I was standing in a field counting sheeps and wondering whether I would get back to the house without getting soaked. (I did.) Today seems, at the moment, to be going the other way; steadfastly overcast this morning but giving a hint now of becoming brighter. Still cold though.

Temperature just reached 16.1⁰C up from 8.9⁰C at 05:56, humidity is 77%, wind 3 to 9mph, pressure 1027.4hPa falling slowly, there’s been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 7/8.

(The black sheep is the remaining one of the two original animals. She's having nothing to do with the newbies. My daughter says it's even more like me than before. I don't know what she means.)

20 Sept 21 1.jpg

20 Sept 21 2a.jpg

20 Sept 21 3.jpg

20 Sept 21 4.jpg

20 Sept 21 5.jpg

20 Sept 21 6.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Right on cue an equinoxial gale tonight even managing to roll some round bales down the field. A real old fashioned harvest day with sun and wind drying everything up  and a few balers about getting straw that had been rained on if the wind had not spread it. Currently 14c

• Like 7

Posted

The striptease of clouds in the sky got right down to the scantiest of coverings in the early afternoon, but no further. By mid afternoon everything up to and including the Aran sweater had gone back on. The temperature stopped dead on 16.2⁰C at 12:51 and the wind had only the briefest visit to 12mph before collapsing in a heap. The rain didn’t even bother to turn up. If this wasn’t bin day it would have been a write-off.

• Like 5

Posted

What a gorgeous day.

Started a bit grey but sun broke through by mid morning and shone thereafter until dusk.

A max of 21.2c, which is good going in June, let alone Mid-September.  The warm temperatures are the story of the weather so far here this month - the grass (and weeds) are looking as lush as they were in high summer.

Wind picked up quickly from late afternoon onwards, quite gusty now and blowing plenty dead leaves out of the surrounding trees.

Lovely sunset....

u.thumb.jpg.250f2606d1f27d0169747931763db63d.jpgr.thumb.jpg.591640e4e43a255ab06fd70a816386e7.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Drying up now after windy wet morning,  nice sunrise this morning with a blood red rainbow too!

E1EC277A-E343-40E0-A147-C547BC5A7F81.jpeg

D91CE0ED-543B-4090-A2D5-05F5CB4D793E.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Well today is the Autumn Equinox, so I’m told, and the translation from the Latin appears to be ‘equally pish with regards to temperature and sunshine’, because there’s precious little of either.

Temperature is 15.8⁰C up from a minimum of 13.4⁰C at 04:53, humidity is 82%, wind 2 to 15mph southerly, pressure is 1019.4hPa falling slowly, there’s been no rain in the last 24 hours, although that feels very likely to change soon, and cloud cover is a deep and thick and even 8/8.

The leaves are beginning to turn just a bit yellow – here we go folks…

• Like 4

Posted

A day of two halves.

Morning nice and sunny with light to moderate winds.  Temperature peaking at 19.5c at midday.

image.thumb.png.1ee2999e6a04628797505e476c2857bc.png

Thick cloud rolled in from the west from midday culminating in moderate rain from 2pm, this just ending and looks like a clearance from the west as I can see glimpses of blue sky.

Not seen the resident House Martins for the last couple of days so looks like I need to mark the calendar that they've left for the year.  Last year they departed around the 14th Sept so they've hung around longer this year.

Edited by Quinach

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Spotted a squadron of geese heading south this afternoon.  Windy and cold out there tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Unusual (?) thing in Glasgow these days where we seem to regularly get far less rain than is anticipated. Was this always a thing? 

Rain didn’t start until late this afternoon here and has just been a drizzle.

Posted

It could simply be that the cloud cover has been thicker periodically over the last week, but I’d swear that the quality of daylight has changed to a colder looking light. I’m not complaining, I quite like the new effect, but it does definitely seem different. Today looks like a cold, wet, windy sort of day.

The temperature is 13.5⁰C up from a minimum of 11.4⁰C at 00:41, humidity is 90%, wind varying from 2 to 18mph westerly, pressure is 1015.1hPa rising slowly, very light drizzle has just started in what has been a dry day until now, and there’s been 3.4mm of rain in the last 24 hours, thick 8/8 cloud cover means it’s dull. Deep dull.

Right, I’m off to Glasgow for lunch and to get my sporran fixed for the wedding.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I’ve noticed that as well with the light. Lowering sun combined with contrasting thick cloud, something which is associated in our minds with colder times of the year.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes a switch was flcked this morning  to autumn with strong wind heavy showers and cool at 10 c. Has improved now with a blue sky but still the more subdued autumn light.

Several big limbs off trees yesterday huge amounts of leaves have been stripped off too.

Loads of geese around yesterday and today. Just a late brood of 6  young swallows left flying round the steading. Stunning autumn afternoon now.

• Like 8

Posted

The temperature got up to 15.9⁰C at 12:53 then started falling steadily to the 13.4⁰C that it is now, humidity got down to 82% at 12:54, the wind stayed light all afternoon, pressure has fallen to 1013.5hPa and still falling slowly, my idiot weather station says no rain fell today, but it did, I saw it, and it remained dull and overcast throughout.

Sporran has a new toggle. Whoohoo.

• Like 3