Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

Not much fresher this morning but very wet. At least the dust and biting insects will be less.Currently 16.5c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
16 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I wouldn't complain  

Are we starting the 'hunt' then? I haven't looked at any of the other forum sections for weeks now, can I avoid the hysteria of the MAD thread this year? 

Anyway, it's been relatively wet at times (welcome) here the last few days, but still warm. Damp and certainly mild feeling outside right now. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Is there any chance we could start a kitty and charter a plane so that Catch could take his wee dad over to Canada and we could enjoy oor weather?

Or is that really, really bad

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Shame on you @mardatha for such a knee-jerk reaction. Your proposal doesn’t have a leg to stand on. (And neither does @CatchMyDrift's dad, so how would that work?) Besides, best of luck trying to raise the money in the Scotty thread…

Don’t tell anyone, but I’m only just out of bed, so I have no idea what the weather has been like so far today. However, the maximum temperature was 16.2⁰C at 00:05 then down to 13.8⁰C at 07:09 and now back up to 15.3⁰C, humidity is 86%, wind is 1 to 9mph westerly, pressure is 1011.7hPa rising slowly, there’s been 2.4mm of rain overnight although it’s perfectly dry now and cloud cover is 8/8 leaving the day feeling a tad dull.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
3 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Are we starting the 'hunt' then? I haven't looked at any of the other forum sections for weeks now, can I avoid the hysteria of the MAD thread this year? 

Anyway, it's been relatively wet at times (welcome) here the last few days, but still warm. Damp and certainly mild feeling outside right now. 

Don't see why we can't  

• Like 4

Posted

17.4°C and sunny intervals. A pleasant afternoon. 

PXL_20210911_145450351.jpg

PXL_20210911_152217118.jpg

And look at the berries! Shhh don't say anything about predicting winter.... 

PXL_20210911_153539835.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Cloud cleared away steadily between lunch and teatime with only a stubborn ribbon along the western horizon remaining throughout the day, and so the temperature got up to 17.2⁰C at 14:52 and no further rain fell.

• Like 4

Posted

The temperature got down to 6.0⁰C at 02:33 but has recovered to the dizzy heights of 13.2⁰C now, humidity is 85%, there’s no wind at all, pressure is 1019.4hPa rising slowly, there’s been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is a fairly light 8/8.

• Like 4

Posted

Getting my leg pulled rotten by family tonight after Aurora Storm looked at my profile on here and saw I had a Maestro rating.   They all think I will be stuck in the house with such a big head.   Is this new as I hadn"t seen it before?

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Getting my leg pulled rotten by family tonight after Aurora Storm looked at my profile on here and saw I had a Maestro rating.   They all think I will be stuck in the house with such a big head.   Is this new as I hadn"t seen it before?

Oh goodie, now i have a badge and online status I can brag to the kids and apparently I have just one quest to fulfill to get the full house status (that will confuse them instead of them baffling the adults about Roblox, Fortnite and Pokemon....).

Getting back to reality, it has been Permagloom™ the last few days, but at least it stayed dry today for the Tour of Britain cycle race that graced the roads near us this afternoon.  Not warm though, max of 13c.

Here's the peloton at full speed, decades since I was able to go at that pace.... (hey, time to get an electric bike and relive one's youth!).

pelaton.thumb.jpg.fca5b3d1e39c30ae297946ec885e1e64.jpg

Good to see so many people out watching the race, the organisation in the background was impressive.

Harvest is coming to a close, this field literally ploughed less than 24 hours after the last straw bales were lifted (they were sowing in the field next to it so would presume the same in this one tomorrow).  The land definitely seems to be getting more heavily worked these days, I do wonder if that will affect the soil structure in the long term as you never seem to see fallow fields nowadays (always some type of crop in them).  Mind you, show my age by wondering if that is a memory linked to the old EEC set-aside scheme.

soil.thumb.jpg.e63577a3ef45e36de090d6acbc33b1fb.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
52 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Oh goodie, now i have a badge and online status I can brag to the kids and apparently I have just one quest to fulfill to get the full house status (that will confuse them instead of them baffling the adults about Roblox, Fortnite and Pokemon....).

Getting back to reality, it has been Permagloom™ the last few days, but at least it stayed dry today for the Tour of Britain cycle race that graced the roads near us this afternoon.  Not warm though, max of 13c.

Here's the peloton at full speed, decades since I was able to go at that pace.... (hey, time to get an electric bike and relive one's youth!).

pelaton.thumb.jpg.fca5b3d1e39c30ae297946ec885e1e64.jpg

Good to see so many people out watching the race, the organisation in the background was impressive.

Harvest is coming to a close, this field literally ploughed less than 24 hours after the last straw bales were lifted (they were sowing in the field next to it so would presume the same in this one tomorrow).  The land definitely seems to be getting more heavily worked these days, I do wonder if that will affect the soil structure in the long term as you never seem to see fallow fields nowadays (always some type of crop in them).  Mind you, show my age by wondering if that is a memory linked to the old EEC set-aside scheme.

soil.thumb.jpg.e63577a3ef45e36de090d6acbc33b1fb.jpg

Fallow still part of rules today but as my young agronomist said you can still see the farms in our  area practising a rotation usually with grass /clover in it as their cereal crops came through the very cold spring and then the hot dry summer in much better condition. I am a bit of a dinosaur with an old fashioned 7 course rotation including fallow but one which this year has allowed threee cuts of grass without  any artificial nitrogen on the grass.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
On 11/09/2021 at 08:24, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Interesting how varied the weather was based on location. Skye was at no stage hot this week - certainly not cold - and whilst it did feel humid at times not uncomfortably so. Temps I think were in the high teens at their warmest. Interesting reading back the storm forecasts, we had thunder and lightning at Glenbrittle in the south of Skye on Thursday morning, yet seemingly Broadford had nothing. 

Also @mistyqueen that’s a cracking island you got there. I’d been before but had only gone as far as Broadford. Will definitely be back, although (at the risk of being hypocritical) I do hope visitor numbers and development don’t get out of control. I wonder if Skye and Lochalsh becoming a national park might help? 

Hmmmm, a National Park, eh? Honestly, I don't think it would make much difference, I think of Loch Lomond and all that goes on there including littering of the worst kind (  ), cutting down of trees for burning by " Wild Campers " ( good luck trying to burn green wood Pal! ) etc etc. Not much different from what goes on here ATM really. I think this summer was a bumper season for the dreaded campervans, there just seemed to be endless convoys on the roads. Quietening down a bit now thankfully. It's the same in all 'wild ' tourist areas though, NC500 having had a bit of a hard time this year from what I hear. 

Anyhoo, still very calm and quiet here, although we did have some overnight rain at one point in the last week. Current temp is 11.7c and cloudy with it. Looking forward to a quiet Autumn but it looks as if it'll get a wee bit blustery and damp at the Equinox as usual! ?️?️

• Like 5

Posted

The forest is busy! That bottom big boy is the size of a dinner plate.

PXL_20210912_130707083.jpg

PXL_20210912_131128126.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
16 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Congratulations on your achievement of such a high position. I see you’ve been awarded the paper party hat in recognition of your new office, which is at least relatively representative of your status. I have been given an exploding ice cream cone, which apparently signifies that I am “Accomplished”. How that works I have no idea, but it clearly shows the system is administered by a blithering idiot. Elsewhere in the rankings a sheriff’s star presumably denotes a control freak, leaves are awarded to the naturist section and the gods alone know who on Earth are awarded the badge of the bent over fat bottomed girl with her knickers at her knees. Presumably there is a masochist group amongst us, which I guess mostly hang about in the MAD thread.

Meanwhile, a clearing sky to the east provided us with a sunny morning and a maximum temperature of 16.2⁰C at 11:45 up from a minimum of 8.2⁰C at 04:04, humidity is 71%, wind is 1 to 8mph easterly, pressure is currently 1016.6hPa falling slowly, there’s been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 6/8.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
Oops, the badges have all gone. Was it something I said?
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Cracking morning here although tad more cloudy now

F1EFBBAE-DD23-454A-9D03-6D98F5215151.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

The clouds closed in again just after lunchtime and by mid afternoon it looked as if it could rain at any moment, although it took until 8pm for the rain to start with 0.6mm in half an hour. The temperature didn’t improve either and went into a steady decline towards 13.4⁰C as it is now. Autumn feels upon us.

• Like 2

Posted
On 12/09/2021 at 21:28, Northernlights said:

Hey, what's going on!  

We've all been robbed of status points.  You're demoted to just an Aficionado now....

image.thumb.png.5834481f0982bcbbbff057ead104602a.png

and someone didn't take kindly to my comments as I've been demoted from 13/14 to a 1/14 newbie!!

image.thumb.png.deaa6b50f8603596a0695e1a5abe140f.png

Anyway, getting back to what really matters.

Not a bad day, grey in the morning then the sun managed to break through for a time in the afternoon allowing temperatures to reach a high of 16.1c.  Dry and generally light SW veering SE winds.

tyu.thumb.jpg.b669ee0ce804b5bfc9ae08f9fe0a1f86.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

A lovely day here aftera cool start. Had a delightful trip to the airport to have a swab rammed up my nostrils and down my throat.. 3 kids too.. so now we wait..

• Like 4

Posted
10 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

I have been given an exploding ice cream cone, which apparently signifies that I am “Accomplished”. How that works I have no idea, but it clearly shows the system is administered by a blithering idiot.

They didn't like your comment either, welcome now to Apprentice level 

image.thumb.png.cd9e75e0e44b082d1230e1e5a4938d2a.png

• Like 3

Posted

image.png.ae6c0a9b8c89091902bc3c79d5a5f396.pngI'm looking forward to promotion to the spanking club with @mardatha

image.png.6bb5af939e7124e2e0761fda93df3046.pngand @mistyqueen

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 4

Posted

Oh goodie, I suddenly became a Rookie!  I can see why the kids get fixated on this kind of nonsense....

image.thumb.png.1d6490280dd993353f1b96448d546832.png

Forgot to mention that I was rather taken by the amount of snowfall in Greenland at the moment..

• Like 4

Posted
22 minutes ago, Quinach said:

They didn't like your comment either, welcome now to Apprentice level 

image.thumb.png.cd9e75e0e44b082d1230e1e5a4938d2a.png

image.png.b2d40fc2de109ad96c83a66936712ea4.pngThey've told me to leaf immediately.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Oh god. Having to post now to see what I am!

Meantime back on the ranch its still cool still grey and still boringg.

• Like 3

Posted

Dunno what my rank is..............:)

I see the forecasts we're accurate. Looked like rain was gonna miss Scotland altogether................and it's pouring with rain

• Like 2