Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ⛈ ❄️ ☀️ ?
19 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

28C at Glasgow airport which is the highest autumn temperature since the records began in 1973.

Crazy times! Glasgow Airport is my local weather station and it’s been working hard this summer recording all this heat and sunshine ☀️ the rain gauge will no doubt be getting a workout soon enough but this driest, sunniest and warmest summer since records began has been memorable! Pic of current conditions ???????☀️

C981D6BF-D3FC-4EE8-8957-7F3A72B0BC1F.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
7 hours ago, Quinach said:

Overnight low of 8.9c and now 20.1c.

That is lower than the 22c at this point yesterday so I do wonder if we will buck the trend and have a cooler day today.

The difference down I suspect to the high altitude cloud that is around here in abundance at the moment, this making the sunshine very hazy.

Some nice rippling effects in that cloud first thing this morning...

image.thumb.png.a655766fd9566ee0d541a8063551bb12.png

Weather station up the road from me recorded a high of 26.6C around 3pm, which matches fairly well with my car showing 26C in Westhill around 4pm and 27C driving through Alford 30mins later. It was certainly a sweaty classroom day today, even with all the windows fully open. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I see that @CatchMyDrift is back, and I hope he finds his dad in good spirits. I’m assuming his dragon is responsible for the unnecessary heat today, topping out at 28.2⁰C here, and the soothsayers say sooth of here was even hotter, which is frankly irresponsible at this time of year. Tomorrow, reverting to type, said dragon is prophesied to pish over the greater part of the country and let off explosively here and there. I’ll be staying inside, probably with AC/DC playing loudly in the background.

• Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Quinach said:

Overnight low of 8.9c and now 20.1c.

That is lower than the 22c at this point yesterday so I do wonder if we will buck the trend and have a cooler day today.

The difference down I suspect to the high altitude cloud that is around here in abundance at the moment, this making the sunshine very hazy.

Some nice rippling effects in that cloud first thing this morning...

image.thumb.png.a655766fd9566ee0d541a8063551bb12.png

The high cloud finally drifted away around 3pm to allow temperatures to get up to 24.4c.  Quite something for the time of year.

Nice sunset to boot.

s2.thumb.jpg.92305c18f2b47e7df205cf690232cb72.jpg

s1.thumb.jpg.cff697a14d311a29acc89628135c1a7b.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Rain again, it's soo boring.

Posted

already had a small bit of rain this morning this next lot about to start gonna last quite a bit longer

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
9 hours ago, Mesoscale said:

Rain again, it's soo boring.

Pals on forums down south are all moaning like hell about the rotten summer, I think maybe Gawd mixed up Scotland and England this year and gave you our bag!

• Like 3

Posted

Damp, mild, calm and overcast this morning so not much to report. Except that, obviously.

Temperature up to 18.1⁰C from a minimum of 16.1⁰C at 07:57, humidity is 85%, no wind registering, pressure is 1005.6hPa steady, there’s been 1.2mm of rain overnight and in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8 but fairly thin so it’s still quite bright.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
correcting poor English
  • Like 5

Posted

Very misty and murky out at Alford & Kildrummy, car recording a temp of 16c though dry. 

See they've issued a heavy rain warning for this area tomorrow, oh well, things are getting back to normal weatherwise!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Horrible sticky day yesterday but thankfully cooler last night. Cooler today as well with a touch of rain too. Hopefully that'll clear the air a bit. No thunderstorms here and to be honest, I doubt if we'll get any, which is a great pity! Yesterdays top temp here was 26c, today we're at 20c so it does feel a bit more comfortable. Enjoy the crash, bang and wallop, those of you who get it! ⚡⚡

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

hadn't discussed todays storm potential as it wasn't looking amazing can see on the sat there's a bit much in the way of cloud for widespread activity and the CAPE looks best for southern Scotland, interesting on the 2km nmm vorticity associated with that cell (possible funnel clouds etc) and the movement looks like a splitting cell to me I'm assuming that could develop once the cells across NW England move into the borders animmez1.gif animzzw1.gif

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Aberdeenshire permagloom returned today and by the look of the forecast its here for a good long while..

• Like 4

Posted

I went up to the southside of Glasgow at lunchtime to visit my mother and one of my brothers had come through from East Lothia to visit also. He said that they had had thick fog earlier and some rain, which at least is weather. Not much happened in my part of the world at all.

The temperature got up to 20.3⁰C at 14:16 and another 0.4mm of rain fell between 15:30 and 17:00. That was it.

• Like 2

Posted

This morning has been dry, calm, overcast and warm; perfectly usable but rather uninspiring. This afternoon I’m off up to Loch Lomond to look at boat with a view to a potential purchase. Oh, the excitement of a day out…

Temperature is at 18.9⁰C up from a minimum of 15.4⁰C at 06:56, humidity is 86%, wind is zero for the third day running, (must check the anemometer,) pressure is 1006.7hPa rising slowly, there was 2.2mm of rain in the early hours of this morning and cloud cover is 8/8, slightly thicker then yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

I wouldn't complain  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Screenshot_20210910_194506_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.585e043e916c847bd5e00efb5ed3050b.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
7 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Puffy MacCloud yes I would expect the weather to be awful for weeks as I think I am stuck here for weeks. My poor Dad only has a clay 'knee' until such time a replacement replacement knee can be fitted (long story). It was supposed to be 4 weeks but could be way longer thanks to the virus as all the operations are on hold. So I'd put money on a wet start to autumn way into October. 

I’m very sorry to hear about your Dad and, as a fellow sufferer due to the doctors’ universal disappearing act, I feel for his frustration. I’m sure we all here wish him the quickest recovery possible. And not only to get rid of you.

Meanwhile, as a measure of what an unusual period of weather we’ve had since the start of summer, I checked my anemometer earlier and found it had been tied down by a spider’s web, which is unbelievable for Scotland at any time of the year. Hereabouts in September we’re typically fetching primary school kids down from the playground catch-fence with window poles. Anyway, the temperature got up to 20.6⁰C at 15:10, the clouds broke up a bit momentarily, and the wind got up to 6mph at 15:13 with no more rain falling since this morning.

• Like 7

Posted

Another broken nights sleep beckons with this humidity. Hope it turns fresher over the weekend.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Another broken nights sleep beckons with this humidity. Hope it turns fresher over the weekend.

Aye NL -- it's Betty McSwollocks down here too!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Interesting how varied the weather was based on location. Skye was at no stage hot this week - certainly not cold - and whilst it did feel humid at times not uncomfortably so. Temps I think were in the high teens at their warmest. Interesting reading back the storm forecasts, we had thunder and lightning at Glenbrittle in the south of Skye on Thursday morning, yet seemingly Broadford had nothing. 

Also @mistyqueen that’s a cracking island you got there. I’d been before but had only gone as far as Broadford. Will definitely be back, although (at the risk of being hypocritical) I do hope visitor numbers and development don’t get out of control. I wonder if Skye and Lochalsh becoming a national park might help? 

• Like 4