Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

Aberdeenshire Permagloom™, how I loathe thee.

Three days so far of this unrelenting grey mush livened up by occasional spits of drizzle in the wind...

dreary.thumb.jpg.93bcc32a0b7508235ef373a6361557a0.jpg

Not a hint of sunshine, cool with a max of 14c yesterday and not much better today. 

What a send of for summer 2021!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I had my monthly visit for tests at the Nurses’ Surgery this morning, and in celebration of the last day of summer and in acknowledgement of the beautiful sunshine at 9am, I chose to wear shorts, t-shirt and my RayBan Pilot sunglasses for the trip. The RayBans were perfect for the occasion, the shorts and t-shirt not so much as it wasn’t nearly as warm as it looked – only 14⁰C according to the car thermometer. Curiously, as the clouds closed in during the day, the temperature rose, if only by a bit, but it was still a nice enough day to top off an unusually fabulous summer in this corner of Scotland.

Maximum temperature was 17.5⁰C at 17:16 up from a minimum of 9.2⁰C at 06:30, humidity got down to 64% at 15:42, wind was 0 to 7mph north-northeasterly, pressure went from 1032.2hPa at midnight to 1034.8hPa now and still rising slowly, there was no rainfall in the last 24 hours and cloud cover went from 2/8 in the early morning to 8/8 now.

Maximum temperature for August was 25.2⁰C on the 24th and 156.8mm of rain fell in the month, nearly all of which was around the 8th with over 100mm in a day or so.

Oh God, just seen the post above - we're doomed, doooomed I tell you...

• Like 5

Posted

Fine clear evening with the first wintry looking sunset of the autumn as patchy cloud comes in off the Firth from the north.  More geese coming south too a really early start to their migration..Swallows /house martins begining to go too. Bare stubble fields just adding to the wintry look. Currently 12c Should have posted last night.

This morning is clear and cold at 6c.  Could be a ground frost in some of the sheltered glens just now.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
9 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Monday 6th September will be when the autumn monsoon starts as I'm heading back to Scotland for 4+ weeks...it's a long gory story involving my Dad's knee and a few operations but I seem to be the rain curse over there so beware.

*Starts packing for a month in Provence"

• Like 7

Posted

Already much less cloud than yesterday. Should be a crackerjack of a day although this weather can't go on forever so it will change but some indications that maybe next week could (briefly) get very warm?

Edited by NUT
  • Like 5

Posted

Autumn dawned here with wall to wall blue skies and a bit of a nip in the air; 10⁰C at 9am.

Temperature now up to 20.9⁰C from a minimum of 7.6⁰C at 06:52, humidity is 58%, wind is 0 to 4mph northerly, pressure is steady at 1034.5hPa, there’s been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 0/8.

Welcome autumn! (at least until @CatchMyDrift arrives on his incontinent dragon at the weekend)

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Happy first day of Autumn everyone. Normally I’m looking forward to the changing season but actually feel quite sad we’re leaving summer behind this year. Would love a few more weeks of sun but I think the Atlantic rain machine is about to splutter into life as @CatchMyDrift predicted for his arrival.

Summer in Glasgow and the west has been pretty decent, you’d be forgiven reading other areas of the forum that summer had actually happened anywhere. We had below average rain, above average sunshine, some very nice warmth and my only slight gripe is that we didn’t quite get an unbroken two week stretch. That’s a minor issue though and as far as the whole season goes, we can’t ask for much more here.

Lovely day here today too. 20c and pretty much clear blue sky. Love it.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 7

Posted

A new season, and it's back to summer - hurrah!  

What a contrast to the recent Permagloom™....

t.thumb.jpg.5dce27079bca832bd823b7a746934809.jpg

y.thumb.jpg.39a73ebb4826741112332a8b421a0cf8.jpg

Max of 20.0c with a stiff NW wind.  Low cloud has rolled in from the East in the last 10 mins so no nice sunset by the looks of things.

It's been very dry recently, such that some of the garden plants are now showing signs of drought, so looks like the sprinkler will be back out.  Don't remember ever needing to do that so late in the season.

• Like 8

Posted

Happy Autumn everyone. Much better day here in NE Fife with the North Sea murk replaced by sunshine and decent 18c temperatures. 

It’s been a mixed summer. Some nice spells mixed with dull gloom at times. The stats aren’t very revealing but I’ve certainly known worse summers, so not complaining.

Was up in the hills north of Blair Atholl on Monday. Skies cleared late morning and it was a great day’s walking.

3710188D-C18D-4EEB-A1B5-BF8DECDF2186.jpeg

986E8000-76AA-42BD-9252-FFE43310567A.jpeg

423180B2-4B79-4433-969F-92A9A4108C6F.jpeg

7DA96EE8-5C23-444C-84BF-2A4246CFA512.jpeg

8D2FC2C4-BDCB-44DF-9780-9AF969C163C7.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

Man, what a stoater of a day today was, easily the best day of autumn so far. Dawn to dusk sunshine, not a cloud in the sky all day, and a maximum of 22.5⁰C at 14:41, light to nae winds at all and pressure remaining up around 1033hPa, height adjusted. Ayrshire is rocking the weather - boom boom.

1665994249_20210901_1809044238.thumb.jpg.5347fd6c244459a4c4cc1dbd7a56982b.jpg

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunshine from dawn to dusk here and not a cloud in sight. Not toasting but a pleasant 19.8C max from a min of 8.6c this morning. Actually quite nice to have had a couple of sub 10C nights this week. Still quite clear if a little hazy as the sun went down thus evening.

022B4DD9-A1FB-424E-84FB-0A4981BCB54D.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Thick grey cloud here and cool.I need a weather station!! hate not knowing the temp.

• Like 6

Posted

Decidedly Octoberish in the morning with very murky conditions and mist smothering all of the surrounding hills - feeling darned cool as well with temperatures hovering around 12c.

Sun finally broke through the cloud at 2pm to leave a lovely afternoon, temperatures responding, currently 16.2c which is the highest so far today.

Light winds throughout.

tth.thumb.jpg.1cb1bf8a565525effb6d39fd6788db39.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
21 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Was up in the hills north of Blair Atholl on Monday. Skies cleared late morning and it was a great day’s walking.

3710188D-C18D-4EEB-A1B5-BF8DECDF2186.jpeg

Nice photos. Is that @Mair Snaw's new hoose? Don't see how he can fail now?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Drizzer and murk to start this morning after another couple of glorious sunny days once early murk has burnt off.  It’s been the most amazing summer up here week after week of mostly sunny skies.  Heard the first geese also on Sunday and they looked to be heading towards the Black Isle and Northern Lights so maybe have been same squadron

• Like 7

Posted

There are some words that one simply doesn’t expect to hear in a single sentence, as evidenced in the national weather forecast today when ‘much needed’, ‘welcome’, ‘rainfall’ and ‘Scotland’ were used together to describe the upcoming weekend. My gast is utterly flabbered. Meanwhile, today dawned overcast but bright, just like yesterday, the cloud cover is only just beginning to break up at 2pm, just like yesterday, and the temperature is just north of 15⁰C, just like yesterday. If yesterday is a valid model, we’ll have unimpeded sunshine by 3pm and the temperature will be up to just north of 20⁰C by teatime, which would be nice as it’s beer garden day and that’s where I’ll be by teatime. Humidity is 76%, wind is 0 to 3mph northeasterly, and pressure has finally started to come down, now being 1023.7hPa and falling. Shock, horror! There was apparently 0.2mm of rain overnight.

• Like 5

Posted

Looked like was eventually gonna brighten up today sun did come out for about 15 minutes about an hour ago but quickly clouded in again

• Like 3

Posted

Permagloom™ returns once again  

Murky all day with mist never fully leaving the tops of the surrounding hills.  Light winds and a max of 13c with periodic outbreaks of drizzle heavy enough to wet surfaces.

l.thumb.jpg.500aacf85dcb2fc385a5a8ee2bc97275.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Yes, we were jolted into Autumn yesterday. Cool, damp and drizzly and lots of ‘central heating back on’ and ‘lit the wood burner’ chatter. Much the same this morning. Although I said earlier in the week summer has been decent (it has), there’s been too much high pressure to the north for us east coasties. I’d probably feel different if I lived out west.

haybales-in-a-field-with-colourful-skies
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Relative to average, Scotland and Northern Ireland have seen the mildest, driest and sunniest conditions during summer 2021.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 6

Posted

Surprisingly enough rain earlier on today to dampen the ground (first time that's happened in a while)! Didn't last long though

• Like 5

Posted

Damp first thing this morning here too but a bit of a breeze got up from a southerly direction clearing mist and low cloud to give a bright afternoon with sunny intervels and 20c. My two big estate neighbours got their big combines going at lunch time and are still working as I type with  cloud cover keeping the dew away. Looks like an early finish to harvest for everyone in Scotland if we get some more heat next week.

• Like 6

Posted

Weather today - just read yesterday's report!

Tuesday/Wednesday look to be lovely days though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Earthlings! Once again it seems like 4 years since I posted on here! And what has happened weather wise in Skye? Well, we didn't get any of the torrential rain that the Central Belt got hammered with, so I daresay that'll arrive here when the rest of the country is basking in glorious Autumn sunshine. The ground is exceptionally dry. I was out weeding and planting bulbs earlier on and the earth is like powder, so at least the weeds came up easily enough! I only stopped because it's actually started raining here! First time in a long time! Not heavy, but at least I won't have to water the last of my broad beans tonight. It's very mild too, currently 16.9c. Could be in for another rather sticky night I think. Not much in the way of rain promised over the next few days but maybe later on this week. It's been a gorgeous week here right enough, endless blue skies, warm sunshine and very pleasant temps. I am not fooled. Autumn, I see you lurking round the corner, and welcome you too! Can't wait to see the colours changing and look forward to getting the fire lit and crispy, frosty mornings. What I'll probably get is horizontal rain and howling winds. Ah well, it cannae be good here all the time! 

• Like 8

Posted

It’s warmer now at 19.2⁰C than it was at any point yesterday, but that’s because there have been passing sunny periods today and there weren’t any yesterday.

Maximum temperature today was 20.8⁰C up from a minimum of 9.6⁰C at 01:10, humidity was down at 63% at 14:04 but back up to 71% now, wind has been 1 to 8mph around southerly, pressure has risen from 1018.5hPa at 04:53 to 1019.3hPa now, there’s been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover has averaged 6/8 throughout the day.

Nice to see @mistyqueen has made it back from her tour of duty fighting off the hoards of camper vans at the Kyleakin end of the bridge.

Oh, I appear to have been awarded an exploding ice cream cone. Is that good or bad?

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 5