Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

Lovely summer's day to end the kids summer holidays.

Max of 18c but feeling warmer in that in the copious sunshine, generally light winds.

dd.thumb.jpg.3e0f6ce35bf22b9f369a013b3240b17d.jpg

The difference in the daylight is now very noticeable.

That's the worst aspect of September/October/November - the ever shortening days combined with generally minging weather.  I vote with Mardatha in detesting the autumn! 

Still wonder how people in the likes of Tromso can tolerate months of darkness.

• Like 4

Posted

Been a lovely afternoon. Mostly sunny (not what was expected) signs of Autumn with some leaves starting to turn yellow

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Similar here with hardly any clouds about this afternoon. The max shade temp of 22.2C was well above that forecasted too. I had decided to walk the three miles or so to pick up my daughters car from the garage and ended up dripping in sweat. A cold Heineken was def required when I got home.

6A3BB21C-C232-4B4F-BD04-F6C4670B2378.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I’ve noticed that Autumn has recently entered the consciousness of some of our flock and not always in a good way. My guess is that lots of people, especially in Scotland, see Summer and Winter as proper seasons while Spring and Autumn are merely periods of transition, one positive, the other negative. I don’t see it that way. Spring is the season of reintroduced colour like bluebells and bright green leaves, fresh smells and birdsong, while Autumn heralds the return of storms, percussive horizontal rain and a myriad of yellows, reds, ochres and browns, at first overhead and then, for maybe a couple of days before the rain turns them into a squidgy mess, piles of crisp leaves that dogs, children and the village idiot pile into or kick up and down woodland paths. I loved this Summer for its return to the qualities of Summers of old, but I quite like the idea that a new season is just around the corner. It’s a reassurance that time goes on.

The maximum temperature today was 18.9⁰C at 16:48 up from a minimum of 12.9⁰C at midnight, maximum relative humidity was 93% at 00:22 falling to a minimum of 69% at 16:08, wind has varied between 0 and 10mph westerly to west-northwesterly, pressure fell from a maximum of 1016.9hPa at midnight to 1014.6hPa at 05:38 rising again to 1016.8hPa now, there’s been 1.2mm of rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover has varied between 4/8 and 8/8 throughout the day.

I see that Catch My Dragon is safely reinstalled in Canada and I wish that lovely country the very best of luck going forward. Conditions are already improving here, for which we all rejoice, and it will be lovely to welcome CMD and family back to this country in, say, twenty or thirty years by which time I will be happily long dead. @CatchMyDrift, only kidding, ya bluddy jinx.

• Like 8

Posted

Well, the morning weather matched the mood of the kids as they went back to school for the first time in 7 weeks, grey and depressed....

ddj.thumb.jpg.e81581cefd83ab5e924ff508ebf9cc5e.jpg

However, the cloud cleared a good deal by mid afternoon to leave some lengthy spells of sunshine.  That upped the temperature to a max of 18.1c with light winds.

• Like 3

Posted
30 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Well, the morning weather matched the mood of the kids as they went back to school for the first time in 7 weeks, grey and depressed....

ddj.thumb.jpg.e81581cefd83ab5e924ff508ebf9cc5e.jpg

However, the cloud cleared a good deal by mid afternoon to leave some lengthy spells of sunshine.  That upped the temperature to a max of 18.1c with light winds.

Yes heavy drizzle first thing here but even with sun mid pm grass remained wet all day. Friend at Laurencekirk cutting  nice dry wheat in the afternoon . A few combines ventured out at tea time lower down here on very ripe crop.We are still a few days away from a start.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had a good day, some cloud but lots of sun. CMD glad you got home safe, just don't come over to visit the borders next year. I just hate autumn because everything is dying. Miserable sad season - but I love winter.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 1

Posted

Strong breeze from the NW for the last 24 hours really dried out the barley and with  a few sunny intervels in the afternoon we started the 2021 harvest.A second combine appeared in  mid afternoon and we got half the barley cut. Quality good yields a bit mixed with July heat burning off gravelly areas.20210818_132217.thumb.jpg.47951c438dcddaaf32875d61aa99ce16.jpg20210818_132410.thumb.jpg.246be9fd2a9b69a3002cd700c16b5e73.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
On 15/08/2021 at 16:42, Mair Snaw said:

So your saying panic buy bread and milk..

Irrespective of winter what with Brexit, Covid, and now a shortage of lorry drivers I think panic buying bread and milk has pretty much become normality. The local Co-op in Alford was out of all but the most expensive organic milk the other day due to delivery issues, a couple of weeks back the soft drinks aisle was utterly bare. 

Weather has been, well, unremarkable, and @Quinachusually covers it well enough for this area. Roll on a good old autumn storm, but maybe not quite yet. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Sunny here with a max of 22.9C and a nice refreshing breeze. Another gorgeous Summers day. Clouded over this evening though.

• Like 7

Posted

Winds lighter than it has been that's 1 plus.........but the cloud's more stubborn and don't think it gonna quite break up the same this afternoon as it has done last couple of days

• Like 4

Posted

Quite a difference from the last couple of days. Dull, damp and at 14C it is some 8 degrees lower than at this time yesterday.

AF391474-FAD5-41B0-9515-1F891E586459.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 4

Posted

A dull dewy start but brightened up in the afternoon to allow 2 combines to devour another two fields, 20210819_153457.thumb.jpg.e30801fec625b3ef6a2abadfec593c64.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Couple mo

13 hours ago, Northernlights said:

A dull dewy start but brightened up in the afternoon to allow 2 combines to devour another two fields, 20210819_153457.thumb.jpg.e30801fec625b3ef6a2abadfec593c64.jpg

A couple more photos from yesterday 20210819_154525.thumb.jpg.c5967368fd8dd1324b8d2be3606e6c43.jpg20210819_161719.thumb.jpg.78626144ed1ca07a564cdf08af6ab391.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Day out today at Fyvie Castle.. not the best day weather wise but still always nice to see a bit of local history and get the kids away from technology.

20210820_130602.jpg

20210820_120416.jpg

20210820_120741.jpg

20210820_112827.jpg

20210820_113004.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Tropical today with a maximum of 23c ,very humid with rain on and off all day so glad we got a good bit of harvest done  in the last three days. Lots of fresh grass growth now with the rain and humidity.

• Like 4

Posted

image.thumb.png.8d9d6061b5abfd6f79538379df0d7826.png

Summarises the weather the last few days - grey, damp and generally miserable, classic Aberdeenshire Permagloom™. 

Until today, also feeling autumnally cool with max temperatures no higher than 14c.

Today though a bit better, grey and wet as ever but surprisingly warm with a max of 18.1c.

Farmers must be praying for some dry weather.  Wheat fields next to us have been ready for days now but everything is dripping wet, including the washing that has been on the line for two days now (other half not willing to start using the tumble dryer yet as its summer 

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 5

Posted
10 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Tropical today with a maximum of 23c ,very humid with rain on and off all day so glad we got a good bit of harvest done  in the last three days. Lots of fresh grass growth now with the rain and humidity.

Would it surprise you in my part of inner London that’s the highest it’s got all month!! Consider average August high is 23.1C. Thought months like this didn’t happen anymore, August 2020 I had 4 tropical nights. It has been awful summer down here more than 300mm of rain over 50% annual average, one good spell in first half of June and mid July and that’s all summer we have had. So many cloudy nondescript days.  I only feel for you folk who experience this more regularly  

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

So many cloudy nondescript days.  I only feel for you folk who experience this more regularly  

I'm finding that on my forums Daniel, everybody way down south is moaning about constant low dark cloud and rain. I've been saying you've got a Scottish summer! They keep saying please take it back we've had enough of it

• Like 6

Posted

20.0C on the nose here this afternoon - first time for a few weeks. A few sharp showers around, but managed to experience only light rain on the walk, and then only for fifteen mins.

PXL_20210822_131225612.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Well, today can be added to the litany of Met Office forecast screwups.

Forecast was for the usual Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ and a high of 16c.

This was the reality from mid-morning onwards....

ff.thumb.jpg.ac27fd95e5eb96d749d771a5911a719a.jpg

Gorgeous strong sunshine, little in the way of cloud and a max of 20.5c.

• Like 5

Posted

Similar here with early cloud clearing to a sunny afternoon that felt warmer than the 18.5C max would indicate. Some cloud drifting in from the North Sea in the evening.

• Like 3

Posted

A cloudy and grey start but should improve. Really does look like a absolute crackerjack of a week coming up

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Summer's back and so am I, you lucky Kilties. Arran in August was just as I remembered it; cold and wet.

Temperature currently maximum for the day at 22.2⁰C up from a minimum of 12.9⁰C at 06:21, humidity is 72%, wind is non-existent, pressure is 1029.7hPa steady, there’s been no rain today and 1.6mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 7/8 with fleeting bursts of sunshine.

• Like 4