Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

Little cooler now but still warm. Anyone got any stats rainfall wise for this month? seems to have been mostly dry (like June was) have noticed trees leaves starting to turn brown and yellow presumeably because of the lack of rain

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Absolutely glorious day - like summers (and Glasgow Fair Mondays) of yore.

Fantastic day out on my bike on the moors behind Eaglesham, can't wait to do it all again tomorrow.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

The maximum temperature today was 25.3deg.C at 15:05, which was quite unnecessarily hot and requires a letter of complaint to be written to someone in authority. Is weather a devolved matter? Probably not; this has got Boris written all over it. Anyway, according to my weather station, today is the hottest day of the last 25 days and on further trailing through the menus I see that in the same period the lowest temperature was 7.8deg.C on the 6th of July. Meanwhile, again over the same period, the highest temperature in my office here in the house (east facing) was 20.2deg.C and the minimum was 18.4deg.C, which if nothing else shows the thermal inertia of 75cm thick walls. Right, Morag, bring me my quill and some parchment...

@NUT Sorry, just noticed your post - the rainfall amount for the last 25 days here is 16.2mm, which for this part of the west coast of Scotland is unusually little. May require a second missive.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Falkirk doing a pretty good impersonation of SW France at the moment, just wish we had a boulangerie so I could get fresh croissants

• Like 9

Posted

Hottest day of the year so far at 25.4C yesterday, I wonder if the heat builds as forecast over the next 48 hours, how high that will go...? As @Puffy MacCloudsays, though, unnecessarily hot. Whoever invented car air conditioning gets my blessed thanks.

PXL_20210719_144808672.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

After the unusual heat at the end of last week in NE Fife things are back to normal with an onshore breeze and the temperature 19c currently in St Andrews. @Puffy MacCloud @shuggee I enjoy the heat so I'll swap you for NE Fife's natural air conditioner?  That said at least the haar cleared - it was pretty thick first thing!

• Like 3

Posted

Shouldn't complain really, but it's never stopped me before; what is this heat about?! We decided to go out for lunch, to the cafe in the village, but went all around the houses to get there, which meant that although we left the house in nice warmth, we arrived at said cafe in boiling heat. Even a kick at the dug waiting at the door didn't lift my spirits. I hate heat!! However @Hawesy I've been to the east coast before, summer holiday as a kid in the '60s, North Berwick I think it was, with an open-air swimming pool filled from the sea, which froze my knitted swimming trunks to my skin. They took ages to thaw out and me even longer. I worried about ever being a boy again. I am most certainly not going back now. But thanks for the offer.

Temperature at 24.6deg.C up from 9.9deg.C at 05:01, humidity is 60%, wind is 0 to 2mph southerly, pressure is 1029.4hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is non-existent.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@NUT total for the month so far for me is 103.73mm nearly all of that between 3rd - 7th

• Like 3

Posted

We'll, should have kept quiet about the Met Office as today they got the weather only too correct.

Permagloom all day, calm conditions and a high of 19c with even the hint of some drizzle in the air at times.

• Like 3

Posted

A stunning summer’s day with almost cloudless skies. Perhaps a little too hot with a maximum of 28C at Glasgow airport where it’s still 26C. Some of the weather in recent days of 22-25C with lots of sunshine, blue sky and a slight breeze is probably the most enjoyable summer weather.

I wonder if Glasgow and other parts of Scotland could see 29 or 30C in the next couple of days. I doubt we’ll see a met office extreme heat warning which has been issued in Northern Ireland where there could be further record breaking temperatures.

It’s not been a bad summer so far with some decent spells of weather without any heat or prolonged warmth of note  until this week’s heatwave which wouldn’t look out of place in 06, 13 or 18.

• Like 8

Posted

26.4degrees at 14:12 today, hottest of the year so far. 26.4 faffing degrees centigrade! That's all I'm saying on the matter.

Now 16.4deg.C.

• Like 5

Posted

Starting to compare this summer with 1976 when you can make hay in four days and then leave it out with no fear of rain.Been very dry here since late May when temperatures really went up. June was a fabulous month when all crops really caught up after a very cold dry April and wet cold May.     July has been a great month for making hay a job that was completed today  and last field  made   into round bales.20210720_145847.thumb.jpg.6c5c2da32efce84f6a96371624707966.jpg20210720_144012.thumb.jpg.827343bee302b62080ea70bdaf25b930.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Don’t normally come on here much in the summer months but a fantastic spell of summer weather. I like the heat but having said that it’s a bit extreme sitting with all the windows and doors open at 23.30 trying to cool the house down before bed. I think Glasgow will touch 30c before the week is out and things cool down at the weekend. 

It really has also been very dry here over the last 3 or 4 months despite a very cold April and May. Been in this house 12 years and the garden has only been drier in 2018. Grass is starting to turn pretty brown. Starting to hear of those on private water supplies seeing their supply run dry. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Another cracking day here with the temp peaking around 22C in a light Easterly breeze which suits me fine. The breeze did increase for a while in the early evening and brought in the dreaded haar. Hopefully wont take to long to clear in the morning.

Better weather in the Hebrides today according to my daughter who is on the last day of her tour around the Hebrides. Was on Skye today enjoying a walk up to the faerie pools where they had a swim and then out to a quiet beach involving a bit of a walk. Even up there there are morons though as this pile if rubbish dumped on the way to the beach shows. Looks like damaged nets and creels dumped by fishermen and then added to by visitors who couldn't be ersed taking their rubbish away with them.

D5A5AA16-9988-49B6-A601-AFDBF57A1655.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

All the talk on the model thread regarding a breakdown of the heatwave when here on Isle of Lewis,there’s been little if any sunshine for days.Intermittent drizzle has just tempered the fire risk on the moors which has been high for a few weeks also.Currently 12c,cloudy and if there’s no sunshine soon the heat exchange between indoors and outdoors will result in the need for central heating to be put on.

• Like 6

Posted

Much slower start to the day with the cloud but that's gone and back to as you we're

• Like 3

Posted

North Sea murk hasn't cleared yet today so as a result it's cloudy and (relatively) cool at 18c/15c in St Andrews. Heading up to Speyside tomorrow so hoping to get away from the haar and low cloud! 

• Like 4

Posted

Another temperature record here today at 27.1⁰C currently. Not a cloud in the sky, no wind to speak of and humidity at 50% means that, for me at least, the air is adequately breathable, which is a boon. Meanwhile my primary beer guzzling partner, Big Ginger Geordie up the road, is suffering from a serious over-indulgence in sun worship and now has a head that looks like a cross between a pumpkin and a brake light. This as a shame as we are scheduled to make our ‘post-Covid’ return to the actual beer garden at the actual pub in the village this Friday, but he has listed himself as injured for now. Big Ginger Jessie more like.

• Like 6

Posted

Oh so close to being a cracker of a day.

Alas though that scourge of East Scotland, that infamous Haar, is making itself only too present.

Constant fight all day between it and the sun, the sun winning for a time around lunchtime but the Haar (low cloud really) is drifting back in as I type - wonder whether the Red Arrow display in Peterhead this evening will be visible!

In the sunshine, the temperature rocketed up to 23c but dropping now steadily to the current 20.5c.

This lovely visitor was in the house today, turns out to be a Magpie Moth, gives butterflies a run for the money in terms of glamour.

image.thumb.png.2f20f99792812f1c5c1380344652c847.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Well guy's and girls its happening the Mair Snaw clan will be moving inland and upwards on 12th August so we will be settled and all sorted just in time for the countdown to winter to begin... very happy indeed. And hopefully you lot in here wont have to put up with my moaning about the lack of snaw all winter long. 

Another warm sunny day here in Ellon. Very little wind to speak of and rather pleasant for getting about to do stuff..

Off to celebrate with a few beers and then start packing.

• Like 6

Posted
44 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Well guy's and girls its happening the Mair Snaw clan will be moving inland and upwards on 12th August so we will be settled and all sorted just in time for the countdown to winter to begin... very happy indeed. And hopefully you lot in here wont have to put up with my moaning about the lack of snaw all winter long. 

Another warm sunny day here in Ellon. Very little wind to speak of and rather pleasant for getting about to do stuff..

Off to celebrate with a few beers and then start packing.

All the best in your new home  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Maximum temperature today was 27.6⁰C at 15:55 up from 14.5⁰C at 00:23, humidity maximum was 93% at 05:21 and reduced to 47% at 14:47, wind was recorded at 0 to 7mph throughout the day swinging from southerly to southeasterly, pressure went from 1021.2hPa at midnight to a maximum of 1023.2hPa at 10:10 and is now 1022.7hPa, there’s been no rain in the last 24 hours, which isn’t surprising as there hasn’t been any cloud cover either.

@Mair Snaw Lang may yer lum reek.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1