Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

I picked the right fortnight to take a break from work although it’s been far too hot to do as many of the jobs I’d intended tackling. 

Yesterday, temperatures on Deeside just missed hitting 30c, topping out at 29.5c, my own station recorded a high of 33.1c so I went with what the three closest stations were showing. I love the heat but it was just too much for me in the afternoon so I came indoors until it was time for me to head to a bbq. Can’t remember the last time I sat outdoors at midnight without having to put a jumper on. The sky was beautifully clear at that point too but it was an uncomfortable sleep.

Today looks like more of the same, so dogs won’t be getting walked until evening.

A303A23B-AAB6-4FF0-957F-270DA07C15E5.thumb.jpeg.c5959e584a1a9da6f582edbc8da26106.jpeg ACEACDAC-2863-4CEF-96C5-C20B049A6664.thumb.jpeg.5b64d98d01ed81fb0d3574e2e935858b.jpeg 59FF408F-69B8-4EB9-9798-168BD95E3234.thumb.jpeg.0bda3312cfdde2df756cff9ad55a35ff.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer

Already very warm with a temperature of 24C at the airport. Don’t think I can remember two days here as warm as this in a row before.

• Like 6

Posted

26c here with fresh west wind Last block of small bale hay cut on Wednesday being baled just now and its really brittle so three day hay. Not usual hay weather for the north of Scotland.Spring barley changing colour every hour .Combines should roll into some winter barley next to the coast in about a weeks time.  Incredible catch up since the cold of April and May but also very satisfying.

• Like 8

Posted

Warmest day of the year in my backyard 24.9C. Thankfully there is a pleasantly lively breeze.

PXL_20210717_142408117_MP.thumb.jpg.1f20796c10f050b7389a4ed26d1be68e.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Wednesday 26.9C

Thursday 24.6C

Friday 27.2C 

Saturday 28.7C 

22M.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

26c here with fresh west wind Last block of small bale hay cut on Wednesday being baled just now and its really brittle so three day hay. Not usual hay weather for the north of Scotland.Spring barley changing colour every hour .Combines should roll into some winter barley next to the coast in about a weeks time.  Incredible catch up since the cold of April and May but also very satisfying.

Back in1976 I was working on the sledge between the baler and the rack, which was a five-pronged bale-stacking appliance that relied on me lifting bales off the back of the baler, swinging them around and loading them diagonally into the forks with four bales on the bottom row, then three above, two above them and one at the crown, and then pulling a large lever that dropped the forks onto the ground and (hopefully) left a stack of ten bales sitting in the field. 1976 was hot and I've never worked so hard since then but we stacked a fifty acre field in a day. Today felt a bit like that. The temperature here got up to 24.2deg.C at 17:38, which is the highest for the last month.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A max of 25.5C here today with wall to wall sunshine. Still over 21C so another sticky night to come I'm afraid.

• Like 5

Posted

Family expedition to Stonehaven today, blissful relief from the hayfever!

The town was busy but definitely seen it busier, surprising considering the stunning weather - max of around 28c, unbroken sunshine and a refreshing brisk variable breeze.  Felt distinctly jealous of those enjoying the open air swimming pool, tickets for that are like gold dust recently.

What was a tad disconcerting was the complete breakdown in social distancing and other related Covid measures wherever we visited, you honestly get the feeling everyone has given up - not so sure the virus thinks the same way.

lkj.thumb.jpg.1aa4c598e9680959fa0bc7b9659fa36a.jpg

poi.thumb.jpg.5f53b635ccbfd5cb987cfdafbaae5e45.jpg

Big change in the weather this evening with cloud rolling in from the north, preceded by some nice Cirrus...

oiu.thumb.jpg.fc4df098ec5aa449ab5b2105456850d5.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

Back in1976 I was working on the sledge between the baler and the rack, which was a five-pronged bale-stacking appliance that relied on me lifting bales off the back of the baler, swinging them around and loading them diagonally into the forks with four bales on the bottom row, then three above, two above them and one at the crown, and then pulling a large lever that dropped the forks onto the ground and (hopefully) left a stack of ten bales sitting in the field. 1976 was hot and I've never worked so hard since then but we stacked a fifty acre field in a day. Today felt a bit like that. The temperature here got up to 24.2deg.C at 17:38, which is the highest for the last month.

Yes 1976 my second year farming after 75 another fabulous hay year with drought affecting yields in England tatties and grain made big money .We just had a couple of acres of tatties but friends on the east coast with 60 acres bought a whole farm on tattie income in 1976. Oh for prices like that this harvest but with such  a contract led market today its no longer free to rise and fall to extreme levels.All these  bean counters ( accountants) have a lot to answer for.      Yes farming was fun then you could have a good year now and then.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Yet another dull day ahead in this neck of the woods. Haven't seen a great deal of sunshine this summer, but it has been at best slightly warm, and at worst, very humid. Lots of mist and sea haar. A friend reported 26c whilst driving down through Glencoe during the week. Was lucky if the temp reached 20c up here on the same day. Very dry though, so have to remind myself to water the veggies. Strawberries have just decided to turn red now and very tasty they are too! Veggies very late this year after a cold and extended spring. Hopeful for some tatties in the next week or so, peas didn't even bother trying to grow this year, broad beans looking good, garlic good too, but onions look as if it'll be a poor crop this year. Overcast here, temp 15.8c. Another dull, dry day ahead, so I may even treat the car to a wash! 

• Like 6

Posted

Last block of hay made Stacked till 10.00pm when photo was taken.20210718_072257.thumb.jpg.2a84890a06ced25179b45d06b4e5808c.jpgVery tired and achy this morning. Lots of stacking to do in the next few weeks. Another reminder of "76" when you could leave bales out for days even the rain showing on radar overnight did not fall here. Currently dull and 19c but with less wind.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Been cloudier (and cooler) today thankfully seems tho this be a small blip and we be back in el-scorchio soon

• Like 5

Posted

It's been an overcast kind of a day today, which has at least kept the temperature down to a maximum of 21.9deg.C at 15:05 however it's felt really muggy as humidity levels have been above 62% all day.

Temperature now 17.7deg.C, humidity is 68%, wind is 0 to 7mph northwesterly, pressure is 1023.6hPa falling slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, NUT said:

Been cloudier (and cooler) today thankfully seems tho this be a small blip and we be back in el-scorchio soon

Yes a tad cooler today, although still very warm when the sun sort of appeared for about an hour at lunchtime.

Very warm for the next few days then we may sneak a 30c in the west on Thursday depending on cloud cover/isolated storms. UKV has 28c for the Glasgow area at 3pm so would not be surprised to see that breached if everything happens as modelled. UKV has one cell over Glasgow if you zoom in on the chart! 

onestorm.png

thurs_temps.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Cooler and dull today but at least near sw Gale of yesterday has died away, just a glimpse of evening sunlight but forecast looks warm and sunny even for here this week!

• Like 4

Posted

Back to normality today.

Overcast with a few brave attempts by the sun to break through the Permagloom shield - Met Office app got the forecast utterly wrong as they predicted a few hours of rain in the afternoon, in reality not a drop of rain fell.

jhyuj.thumb.jpg.ae691650c0c817ab749df3a0a64316f1.jpg

Light winds and a still respectable max of 21c.

Really surprised at the amount of Willowherb (Fireweed) that is now in full bloom, this usually only flowers round here in earnest in August.  Another addition to the unusual weather/nature events of the year.

• Like 7

Posted

Started cloudy but that's gone. Should be another crackerjack of a day (with more of this to come)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

What a difference a day makes. Much cooler outside and inside too.. almost bearable infact..

News on houses.. we have had an offer accepted on a property. Staying in Aberdeenshire but going further inland and an increase in altitude upto 125m asl.. NOW BRING ME MY SNAW....

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Been sunny here all morning with just some clouds drifting about to our North. At 21C just about right for me.

• Like 3

Posted
38 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

NOW BRING ME MY SNAW....

Possibly a tad ambitious for this week, old chap.

Meanwhile, in sunny Ayrshire, the cloud is dispersing and cover has reduced from 4/8 at 08:00 to 2/8 now, and therefore the temperature is building quickly to the very top end of my comfort levels. That's enough of that, thank you.

Temperature currently 23.8deg.C up from a minimum of 11.2deg.C at 05:25, humidity is 50%, wind is 0 to 6mph west-northwesterly, pressure is 1021.1hPa falling slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is well broken, thin and high.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

@Puffy MacCloud maybe a tad early.. just getting myself ready the epic winter thats coming soon... Now ive got myself into a decent location the warmest winter on record will probably be delivered

• Like 6

Posted

Mainly cloudy on Deeside yesterday and even though it was always around 21c, after the previous few days, it actually felt quite cool!

Today we’ve got sunny intervals and although the thermometer is again sitting around 22c, it feels much warmer again. I know it’s 5pm somewhere but is it really too early on a Monday for a chilled vino?

• Like 4