Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

Lovely afternoon here on Deeside, much to daughter’s annoyance, She’s stuck trying to get through Edinburgh on the way back to Bathgate after visiting her friend in North Berwick where, apparently, it was a beautiful afternoon also.

Currently 18c with a gentle breeze, and radar not showing anything in our direction for the next wee while.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Just needs the touch paper lit...

image.thumb.png.644d18dcdbe3bae03d7877f1d1495b4a.png

Knew something huge was cookin, guess I will count that as the 2nd even haar storm I've seen the intense rain from Edinburgh weakened on approach here for a change but a fair amount of booming. Here's the developments of the one toward Edinburgh IMG_20210704_153752.thumb.jpg.0db2b04cc77d2692cf73fe79d33e693d.jpgIMG_20210704_155004.thumb.jpg.aa1a00a26237766c7f0fbcff4029b5af.jpgIMG_20210704_155815.thumb.jpg.449f50012fd8ece5e3c973fa1a083792.jpgIMG_20210704_160822.thumb.jpg.4bbd3024b59d87165f6ad95831ec2e72.jpgIMG_20210704_161331.thumb.jpg.65fc740620b60ac398fd54146fd8ac73.jpgIMG_20210704_161456.thumb.jpg.60300ffba3c341e9e842d2f44146c577.jpgIMG_20210704_161616.thumb.jpg.1ad158a97a47168df8a7dd8feb5f36b3.jpgIMG_20210704_161813.thumb.jpg.10a5d52b03663fd9ce569c042ee1c94f.jpgIMG_20210704_161845.thumb.jpg.f4a523361042a2da27e5094506199125.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Heaviest shower of the day during the last 45minutes or so with gutters overflowing. Some lightning detected  on the radar but I didn't see it and couldn't hear thunder because of the rain!  UKV has the showers beginning to fade off for a few hours before the batch over N.England moves in during the early hours!   I don't have the numbers here (weather station is broken) but it feels like there is a good chance that we've had more rain today than for all of June! 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 5

Posted

Some serious flooding across Edinburgh from that storm! Unreal! 

WWW.EDINBURGHLIVE.CO.UK

Welcome to Edinburgh Live’s weather blog keeping you up to date with all the latest news on the thunderstorm warning.

• Like 9

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Some serious flooding across Edinburgh from that storm! Unreal! 

WWW.EDINBURGHLIVE.CO.UK

Welcome to Edinburgh Live’s weather blog keeping you up to date with all the latest news on the thunderstorm warning.

The rain from the storm this afternoon was absolutely bonkers in west and central EdinburgH looking like a similar forecast tomorrow too

Edited by Penicuikblizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
39 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

The rain from the storm this afternoon was absolutely bonkers in west and central EdinburgH looking like a similar forecast tomorrow too

It really was! Been a while since I saw rain like that! I feel like sending my landscaper a bottle or a gift card as the new patio and paths drained like a dream

• Like 3

Posted

Got to love the contrast in weather in Scotland.

Thankfully none of the flash flooding seen elsewhere.

Instead a few pulses of heavy rain first thing then a day of intense Aberdeenshire Permagloom™, now lowering to thick fog thanks to the calm conditions.

Main highlight of the day is the low diurnal temperature range - overnight low of 14.4c, high today of 18.0c.

Still waiting for the first proper thunderstorm of the year.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

When last year did we had those intense storms was it July  or August ?

11th or 12th August rings a bell but can't be certain! I remember hours and hours of relentless thunder and lightning though! Maybe just me but I think there's been a big increase in not only the frequency of thunder events in the Lothians but also the severity! Not that long that Edinburgh had gone years without a decent storm! Now we're even getting them in December with 5 inches of snow  

Rain has been replaced by quite a thick haar now.

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

11th August , they just seem to develop over Edinburgh and lasted ages , 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, 101_North said:

11th or 12th August rings a bell but can't be certain! I remember hours and hours of relentless thunder and lightning though! Maybe just me but I think there's been a big increase in not only the frequency of thunder events in the Lothians but also the severity! Not that long that Edinburgh had gone years without a decent storm! Now we're even getting them in December with 5 inches of snow  

Yeah absolutely the last few years in particular there have been some intense storms. A very similar pattern to last year that’s why I was wondering what dates they happened

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

4 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Yeh 11th / 12th August over 12 hours of end of world stormage only time I've been scared by a weather event, re watch if you like ha 

@101_North your going to get me banging on about the forth again got to be true though the amount of storms especially Edinburgh and here, also maybe a bit more questionable theory but funny how Mossmorran was flaring a lot few nights ago then 2 days of intense rain

• Like 5

Posted

@Kirkcaldy Weather Something's up but it's anyone's guess what it is! Maybe I've just never paid enough attention before but it does feel like the region is getting many more memorable weather events than previously!

• Like 4

Posted

29th june 2019 was the same intensity of rain as today just didn’t last so long , lack of council drain cleaning must go towards the flooding we saw in stockbridge today 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, johndunnhawthorn said:

29th june 2019 was the same intensity of rain as today just didn’t last so long , lack of council drain cleaning must go towards the flooding we saw in stockbridge today 

Perhaps or the building of a massive stand and row of shops on what was effectively a flood plane. I saw it today the water poured down the hill pooled at the development and moved up a neighbouring street and Raeburn place before it drained away into the pitches. Seem's clear what the issue is exactly the same thing happened last August with the big storm. The couple of shops that did open there have both flooded today so I wonder if that will prompt any response.

Not sure any issue with the drains the water cleared rapidly and have heard council were out recently unblocking them...I think the issue is more that now there is a new obstacle to surface water runoff which can be extreme in this location.

To be clear some locals where dead against the development I'm not in that camp, like the space and the shops but I do think its causing a problem with runoff. 

• Like 3

Posted

Thats rain heavy enough to wake me up check of the wrf nmm and 2 zones, as this rain here moves over the north west and toward @mistyqueen pretty good amount of CAPE for it to interact with so I'd think a few intense cells over there and a 2nd zone of localised weaker instability for the more expected members of Edinburgh + Fife ⛈️

• Like 2

Posted

Half 8 in the morning and gutters overflowing.. Welcome back storm season I've missed you  

• Like 6

Posted
9 hours ago, CL888 said:

Perhaps or the building of a massive stand and row of shops on what was effectively a flood plane. I saw it today the water poured down the hill pooled at the development and moved up a neighbouring street and Raeburn place before it drained away into the pitches. Seem's clear what the issue is exactly the same thing happened last August with the big storm. The couple of shops that did open there have both flooded today so I wonder if that will prompt any response.

Not sure any issue with the drains the water cleared rapidly and have heard council were out recently unblocking them...I think the issue is more that now there is a new obstacle to surface water runoff which can be extreme in this location.

To be clear some locals where dead against the development I'm not in that camp, like the space and the shops but I do think its causing a problem with runoff. 

It’s an interesting debate to have , i would have to say a combination of intensity of rain , drains not being as clear as should be and new development don’t help the situation , the water was certainly sitting at either end of stand when rest of flood had gone , i so feel for shop owners who will be prone to this happening again , 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

It's a day of clouds and puddles here so far, and very pleasantly cool for a wee change. We seemed to have dodged the torrential rainfall that hit some of you yesterday, which is much appreciated.

Maximum temperature of 14.9deg.C was at midnight from where it dropped to 13.7deg.C at 04:55 and has now risen again to 14.3deg.C, humidity is 89%, wind is 1 to 3mph southerly, pressure is 1002.0hPa steady, there's been 5.8mm of rain today and 13.2mm in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 3

Posted

Early afternoon yesterday and this is the feature that became the line of storms in Edinburgh late afternoon - moving to the left of the photo headed NE.

No rain here though until 6pm!

PXL_20210704_145518255.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

This time last week WE were driving back to Skye after a weekend visiting relatives. Temps then were scorching, clear blue skies, hardly a breath of air. Next day, 12c, cloudy, miserable and cauld. Today we have 21c with rain and humidity at 80%. Horrible. Sticky, muggy and midge ridden. So, when do we actually get a summer up here? Y'know, more than one day of sunshine and light breezes. And dry. Please. Sometime soon. Not a mega scorcher, but just some nice, pleasant summer weather. Too much to ask? ⛅?️

• Like 4

Posted

Had some rain earlier on but lot quieter than it was yesterday and cooler too

• Like 1

Posted

Here's another video I found i.e. yesterday's rain in edinburgh

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Not a drop of rain here still dry dusty.  More cloudy though after the glorious weather of the last week.

• Like 7