Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

MId-summer's day looking stunning:

CaptureMidsummer2021.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 13/06/2021 at 16:32, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

26.3C currently (high of 27.9C) Thursday has lots going on lack of CAPE for us but might be an MCS that moves up from England as we are near the boundary, wouldn’t surprise me to see flood warnings issued if things look similar the nearer we get.

Was right about the boundary, waste of a cold front with no CAPE for it to interact with.. Our storm wait goes on 

• Like 5

Posted

Look out the window and it's a carbon copy of yesterday, overcast with a brisk southerly wind.

Step outside though and it's a different day, humid and warm (currently 19c and I suspect still rising).

Once again I see the forest track entrance near us has been subjected to fly-tipping.  This time a trailer load of garden waste.  Took the  council over two months to clear the last load of rubbish (pile of building rubble) and then only after the local councillor got involved as the forest is private land and the council initially said disposal of the waste was the landowners problem not theirs...

Fly tipping never used to be an issue round here until the last couple of years.  That change is all down to the council making waste disposal more difficult and expensive (you have to book appointments to visit the dump plus there is no green waste collection) and now their great plan is to only collect non-recyclable waste every three weeks in a new bucket that is half the size of what we have for the current fortnightly collection.  All a recipe for more waste dumping, as if farmers etc don't have enough unwanted expenses as it is, as the police never seem to catch/fine the crooks doing the dumping.

• Like 4

Posted

Brightened up after a damp start. Quite pleasant now actually without the heat of down south

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

My daughter recently told me that she'd seen an oyster catcher down by the pond, to which I responded sarcastically that it was probably hunting for a lesser-spotter Scottish mountain oyster. Following a bit of research however, I discovered that oyster catchers are regular visitors to the moors in summer. Who'd have guessed? Apology and confirmation have been tendered. Weather-wise, today is cool and cloudy but with a fair bit of brightness (even occasional sunshine) getting through.

Temperature currently maximum for the day so far at 15.8deg.C up from a minimum of 9.9deg.C at 06:46, humidity is 66%, wind 1 to 3mph southerly, pressure is 1010.4hPa steady, three's been 13.2mm of rain today (and in the last 24 hours) and cloud cover is 7/8 but has varied throughout the day.

• Like 3

Posted

Sun only made an appearance after 9pm, thankfully allowing a gorgeous sunset.  Temperature peaked at 19.1c; currently 14.8c.

a.thumb.jpg.780886cf4b43f065b4dd59d79cf04a58.jpg

pano.thumb.jpg.91743c807c3fb61ece9397eec97c6d47.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Temperature eventually topped out at 17.0deg.C at 18:03 when the cloud was at its most broken, but cover is now back to 5/8 and the temperature has dropped to 11.0deg.C with humidity at 84%, no wind registering, pressure at 1011.9hPa rising slowly and no further rain having been recorded today.

• Like 2

Posted

Was it something I said? (Not that I care, just curious.)

Smashing day with lots of sunshine, little wind and low humidity. A bit more like the June we all know and love.

Maximum temperature was 19.0deg.C at 16:08 up from a minimum of 9.8deg.C at 05:04, humidity was 48% at 16:44 down from 89% at 04:07, wind has averaged 1.5mph northwesterly, pressure was 1011.5hPa at midnight and has risen to 1017.5hPa now, there's been no rain in the last 24  hours and cloud cover has been 2/8 to 3/8 throughout the day.

• Like 2

Posted

Another vote for it being a lovely June day.

Generally light winds, max of 20c and sunny early and late (overcast around lunchtime but dry).

A lot of the surrounding fields looking brown - thanks to silage cutting, a sign summer is rapidly moving on.

21308610_a(2).thumb.jpg.1e3e82e59c939215b1dbf453039007c7.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.607205512deaa59ef574cdff142a5c7c.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

What a crackerjack of a day it's been. Not clear blue skies all the way cloud always been about but not really blocked the sun and a comfortable warmth too. More of this please!

• Like 4

Posted

A cracker of an afternoon it turned out. Only fair weather cloud and little of it come 5pm and was a day for sitting in the garden with little interrupted sunshine along with some pleasant heat and good visibility if you wanted views from anywhere.. Tomorrow’s forecast isn’t bad but I can’t see it been as nice.. Next week looks rather dull and wet at times. Although we haven’t had any major heatwave/scorchers it’s been pretty dry so far this month..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Grand day up here not overly warm after very chilly night last night 2c lower down and 4.9c here,  nice day just few light showers pm, nice sun catch on the clouds tonight over my new snow shovel 

BFF3C000-E394-4938-AB77-47844FB30F1E.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Bit more cloud around but again another nice day. Not been too shabby at all this week and Sunday not looking as wet as was forecast last night

• Like 3

Posted

Another nice day to be plonked out in the garden doing as little as possible. It could almost have been mistaken for a summer day.

Temperature got up to 20.3deg.C at 17:25 up from a chilly minimum of 3.0deg.C at 05:05, humidity max was 93% at 06:05 and the minimum was 46% at 13:06, wind has been light all day at 1 to 3mph north-northeasterly generally, pressure has remained remarkably constant between 1018.4hPa and 1018.5hPa, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover has ranged from 1/8 to 3/8 throughout today.

Time for a beer.

• Like 3

Posted

A cool start to the day at 7c and I noticed that some of the cold spots round the the north of Scotland were down to 2c.  Another nice day with fresh arctic air and strong June sunshine making it a very drying day to secure some excellant hayledge. Some signs of drought begining to appear on gravelly hillocks so our extreme weather patterns continue. Spring barley has raced through the growth stages and started coming into ear last week so harvest should not be too late.Only negative is might be a bit short so straw for bedding may be scarce

A good news story is we have two Oyster Catcher chicks(First for two years)  running about in a grass field with the cattle  as they graze probably giving them the  best protection from badgers and foxes and with an abundent supply of grubs in the dung pats..

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted

Quite cloudy now. Had 1 or 2 odd small showers nothing major. If anything since they went through it has cooled off was really quite warm earlier

• Like 3

Posted

My older daughter arrived today from Spain to spend a few weeks here, and although I thought it was warm enough to be dressed in a t-shirt and shorts she kept disappearing inside at my younger daughter's house (where she is isolating) to put on additional layers. I'm sure she'll either acclimatise or lower her expectations soon enough.

Maximum temperature today was 19.6deg.C at 15:57 up from a minimum of 10.6deg.C at 03:31, maximum humidity was 86% at 03:58 dropping to a minimum of 56% at 17:30, wind has been very light all day, pressure is 1014.0hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover has varied from 2/8 early on to 6/8 later in the afternoon.

• Like 4

Posted

Just out to sit  in garden on this nice balmy evening and counted 14 swifts screeching high above the house a real midsummer sight and sound.  Strawberries rapidly ripening but had first big one eaten last night by a badger (tracks on soil) so have spent this afternoon  putting a fence up round them. Another mostly dry day apart from a couple of spits but a more substantial shower crossed the Black Isle in the late afternoon.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A cool and cloudy day here with just a few spits and spots in the fresh SE breeze. The max of 15.1C was the lowest since the 1st of June. Typical that today was the day friends invited us round for a bbq. My wife had her winter coat on and still got chilled.

• Like 5

Posted
44 minutes ago, Norrance said:

A cool and cloudy day here with just a few spits and spots in the fresh SE breeze.

Carbon copy of the weather here today, temperature a bit lower with a max of 14.2c.

Actually felt quite chilly outside this evening, first time in quite a few weeks.

Had a surprise visitor to the bird feeders in daylight this evening, must be famished daring to be out in full daylight (taken 21:30).

image.thumb.png.7af81615b86b582645774d987893126f.png

As soon as the kids saw it out they went with half a ton of cat food pellets.  The ravens and magpies will be delighted to eat the remains of them at 5am tomorrow (they're feeding youngsters just now that insist on sitting on the house roof from 4am and ceaselessly "CAW CAW" to get fed.  Really could do with the Sparrowhawk to pay them a visit and get them to move on!

Edit - maybe it's just perception, but there do seem to be more heatwaves around the world this year, Nevada now joining in with the fun.  Makes you appreciate a bit the Scottish temperature climate.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Another one covered in crows, hell of a racket they make, I'm sick of them.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Very little sun up here all week just the odd glimpse, chilly nights too. Damn crows are very noisy especially around 430am! Counted 45-50 of the blighters yesterday.  Think I need to arm my drone.

• Like 4

Posted

Happy farmer day as we have steady drizzle all crops benefitting and cattle haapy to get a wash. Currently 15c

• Like 6

Posted

More or less deja vu of yesterday. Cloudy/muggy start and now a few showers have brewed although nothing major

• Like 4