Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Another humid day but not quite as stuffy as yesterday. The cloud is breaking now and it feels warm at 19.8C. Min last night was 16.3C so the warmest night of the year. 
Had a new visitor to the peanuts at the feeding station this morning.

• Like 5

Posted

OK....the wind can jaffa cakes off now! A couple of really warm, pleasant days spoiled! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Apparently there was a partial eclipse this morning and there may also have been a giant fireball caused by the international space station crashing into the Earth's atmosphere and perhaps Biggles flew a biplane around the village with Dolly Parton wing walking in the nude while singing 9 to 5, but I missed it all due to heavy cloud cover, which lasted until the first break in the clouds around 4pm. The cloud has now mainly cleared off and it looks like being a nice evening.

Maximum temperature was 20.6deg.C at 15:53 up from a muggy minimum of 14.6deg.C at 06:14 and it's now 19.7deg.C, humidity got down to 70% at 15:50, the wind has been in the range of 1 to 8mph south-southeasterly with a maximum gust of 16mph, pressure has dropped from 1017.0hPa at 00:35 to 1012.5hPa now and is still dropping slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is currently 1/8 or less.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
spelling - a partial ellipse indeed!
  • Like 5

Posted

That breeze has fair got up lordy! Had a bit of rain at 1 point overnight all gone now a mix of sun cloud and wind (and not from my bum for once)

• Like 2

Posted

A fresher feel to the day, not as humid as yesterday.

A light shower of rain first thing, again just enough to wet surfaces and no more.

Thereafter dry and cloudy with the occasional sunny spell.

Moderate SW to W wind, currently 16.5c.

Child nightmare last night allowed a 03:15am photo, gorgeous sky then and what a cacophony of bird song there was as well.

a.thumb.jpg.3328a5e38437b74a1f23160960544291.jpg

The recent spell of settled weather has provided plenty of different cloud types, yesterday evening no exception.

e.thumb.jpg.21ce906c9dab8ebf07a2038aa0e4a16a.jpg

c.thumb.jpg.274f713542e4913e698c8a1a17dea2c5.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.7bb4008f71727217fe0e74236992d0c4.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We haven't had a drop of rain here in days, been lucky but had to water the garden a lot.

• Like 4

Posted

Yesterday the temperature got up to 17 degrees C, which it doesn't look like it's going to reach today, and there were numerous sunny bits, which it also doesn't look like happening today, or at least not so far. Cloud cover is as thick as my hangover.

Temperature currently maximum for the day at 14.2deg.C up from a minimum of 9.8deg.C at 02:18, humidity is 71%, wind is 2 to 5mph southerly, pressure is 1024.8hPa rising slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Blue skies over this side with just a few little clouds blowing in on the fresh westerly breeze. Currently 17.5C and rising.

5C0B3A7F-DE00-4331-BFAD-BE46E55C9C86.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Breaking my radio silence after our busiest period at work is finally over. Went back to the office on Thursday for the first time in 15 months and actually enjoyed being there with my colleagues - just being able to discuss a problem in a budget I’m working on with us all in the same room was great. I’m being allowed to work 3 days in the office and 2 days from home so best of both worlds. Just got to hope we get plenty sunny Thursdays and Fridays now.

it’s a cracking day in Banchory today, so I’m making the most of it and working on my tan. My station is reading 26 but two others nearby are reading 21. My thermometer on the fence (in permanent shade is reading 20 and the other, also in shade is reading 21 so clearly my station is well out.

Hope everyone is getting a chance to enjoy similar weather

• Like 6

Posted

Nice day. Bit of a breeze but nowhere near as strong as yesterday and the cloud's cleared

• Like 3

Posted

Cracking day here and feeling warmer than the shade max of 20.1C would indicate. Always a refreshing breeze too. Nice colours down at the pond down towards the river though not sure how much the phone shows them. 

E0024F91-7102-4317-95A5-F00F345D28B0.jpeg

04654A1C-767C-472A-94DF-798D4511418D.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Another decent day on Deeside though with more of a gentle breeze than yesterday.  Station seems to be more in tune with other's nearby today, currently showing 22.3c.  Clouds have rolled in from the west as the day's worn on but it's much more comfortable to be outside in than in the heat of yesterday.

• Like 5

Posted

Breeze is up again but it is a crackerjack of a afternoon. We not getting the heat our lot down south be getting this week but all in all don't think looking too bad after some rain tonight although cooler

• Like 3

Posted

Best day of the year so far here, 24c at Leuchars and 22c here in Pittenweem with the WSWly wind keeping the sea breeze away. Clear blue skies. Stunning! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

26.3C currently (high of 27.9C) Thursday has lots going on lack of CAPE for us but might be an MCS that moves up from England as we are near the boundary, wouldn’t surprise me to see flood warnings issued if things look similar the nearer we get.

• Like 4

Posted

A mostly sunny afternoon here in a fresh breeze and my warmest day of the year with a max of 23.8C. A bit more cloud now to the West but still dry. Also anyone know what this flower is? Came across quite a few when walking through a field earlier and my wife wants some for the garden.

A448963A-F2C6-4F0A-96B5-ADB9A28F4C8A.jpeg

B1137E1A-2260-48B9-B5A1-02B4BBECF156.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frost and Thunderstorms

The flower looks like a type of wild orchid. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

B1137E1A-2260-48B9-B5A1-02B4BBECF156.jpeg

That looks like a Northern Marsh Orchid (Dactylorhiza purpurella).

I'm lucky in having two of them in our garden, both self-seeded.  I've collected/sown the seed from them in previous years but nothing has come of them yet (the seed is like powder).  They do live by their name as both plants are in the soggiest part of the garden (though it must be noted that the ground is not waterlogged, rather free draining but constantly moist).

Couple of photos of them in situ, not the best as taken just now in the twilight.  Beautiful plants, I do recall Dobbies selling them a few years ago at a millionaires price.

image.thumb.png.8b3d3ebf587ef4707be478d80b4f421f.pngimage.thumb.png.9ad9bfe697bdc6a723161c6c0541884e.png

Finally got some noctilucent clouds last night.  By no way the best of displays, but still a lot better than the nought there has been up until now...

b.thumb.jpg.1abac6373c5f005cc9b96e0c0d352e6d.jpga.thumb.jpg.f2ecdba175916a2383acb925d6210ed2.jpg

As for today, a bit of a let down.  The met et al forecast sunshine and highs around 25-26c.

In reality, it was overcast from early morning with a stiff SW wind - so limiting the max to a still respectable 21.5c.

Had to go into Aberdeen in the afternoon and it was sunny there, felt hot in the sun. 

It's not often you can say it felt hot in Aberdeen!

• Like 7

Posted

Nice sunny start to the day at 12c which makes it feel a lot fresher in the breeze.A bit of drizzle overnight but first signs of white clover growing faster than grass as soil dries out in the constant sun and wind. Spring barley and grass mostly looking  very well but we have lost about 5% of the spring barley due to excessive cold (April)   and wet (May) in the spring in prone sheltered areas mainly woods.

Taking last of stones off newly sown neeps on Saturday we found an oyster catchers nest with one egg with the pair watching us at a distance.  Not much hope of it making it to hatching  with a badger highway just at the bottom of the field.  20210613_102457.thumb.jpg.8b5ba93c139c1a4fea4a2464f491beaa.jpgA photo of a badger scrape which appeared overnight on  the edge of a farm track They are dotted everywhere round the edges of fields on the farm

• Like 7

Posted

I spent yesterday up at the farm so no access to the weather station at home but the car thermometer said 23 degrees as a maximum and the wind was strong enough that the barbeque had to be eaten inside and the chickens were being blown bum over beak past the byre and on down to the stables. I'd say that would be sustained speeds in the twenties up on the hill. Still a bit windy this morning but the temperature has been dropping since last night.

Temperature was 13.6deg.C at midnight and dropped to 9.6deg.C at 06:06 since when it's risen to 13.4deg.C, humidity is 73%, wind is 3 to 13mph westerly, pressure is 1020.9hPa rising slowly, there's been 9.8mm of rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 7/8.

• Like 3

Posted

Some much needed rain overnight, heavy enough at one point to wake up the family as it pounded on the hallway skylight.

Thereafter a much fresher day, with a max of 16c and a mixture of cloud and sunny spells.

Wind fresh to strong from a W/SW direction all day.

Aloft the winds seem to be in a right old mess going by the way the clouds seem to be running in opposite directions at different heights...

image.thumb.png.5364522ff8ffeb06c4a7277da6e19f88.png

• Like 3

Posted

The temperature got up to the dizzy height of 14.6deg.C at 13:21 but has since fallen back to 10.6deg.C now, which is pish poor for June really. The wind has dropped to 1 to 3mph westerly and pressure is now 1023.9hPa steady, both of which are an improvement over earlier. Cloud cover is filling in from the west but clearing in the east and it's probably less dull now than it was this morning, and there's been 0.6mm more rain since then.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
21 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Taking last of stones off newly sown neeps on Saturday we found an oyster catchers nest with one egg with the pair watching us at a distance.  Not much hope of it making it to hatching  with a badger highway just at the bottom of the field.

Well the pair of oyster catchers that have been nesting in top of a tree stump between our house and the one next door have definitely managed to pledge a chick this year. As we were watching a swarm of bees (we've had 4 so far that we know about) disappear across one of the fields on Sunday my wife spotted the chick running around the field, closely watched by both parents.

The weather has been generally good, but the annoyingly constant wind has been noticeable and has taken the edge off the temperature.

• Like 6

Posted

Truth be told it felt more like an early September day today rather than mid-June.

A bit of sun to start with but overcast by 11am - temperature dropping thereafter from the 11am high of 17c to the current 12.9c.

A brisk and gusty S to SSE wind all day adding to the fresh feel.

A dry day bar a few spots of rain at 5pm.

• Like 4