Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

The May misery continues. After just 3mm of rainfall in April, the May total is standing at 135mm or 276% of the May average (Leuchars figures). Oh and it’s also been cold with below average sunshine. Is it June yet? 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Rain hasn't stopped all day. Steady and occasionally heavy particularly overnight. Wind has died a bit and has changed to a Westerly but still chilly and another sub double figure May day coming up unless something changes in the next few hours. Max so far today was 9.3C.  

Edited by Norrance
Sp
  • Like 7

Posted

Another vile day to add to the endless list for this spring.

Heavy rain off and on all day thanks to that low pressure pirouetting over us.

That I suppose allowed the winds to remain light, max of 9.0c.

Even the garden seems to think the summer is not happening, its fast forwarded to autumn with the appearance of mushrooms in part of the lawn - another first as never seen these appear except in October.

Snag_b535b5.thumb.png.ca486b69d517ff0bea21a9abcc01e5bc.png

Snag_b51b28.thumb.png.ee523e69bd0a76e73be746368a112e36.png

The warm up at the end of the week cannot come soon enough.

• Like 4

Posted

Another damp cool day (9c Max) but tried to brighten up in the afternoon . So doing a bit of paperwork and swapping passwords onto a new laptop. Trying to load new programmes for cattle records and  accounts excruciatingly slow (5 Hours) with our high speed broadband down copper wires in the country. Have resorted to SRUC sending me a USB stick with the livestock record programme on it and phoning Australia in the morning about the accounting programme which has lost  a complete year. Being a grumpy old farmer I miss a CD rom to put on programmes. Technology moves on.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Really heavy rain with 20mm between midnight and half 5 this morning, 23.19mm total today. 

• Like 2

Posted

Radar starting to perk up maybe can break the grumbly streak today (weekend maybe looking lovely.........)?

• Like 2

Posted

A much better day.

Damp to start with but the rain stayed off after 9am.

Overcast with just the briefest of sunny intervals.

Light winds in general, max of 12c.

The weather is always fascinating, whilst we shiver elsewhere temperature records are being broken almost daily...

• Like 4

Posted

Already a lot warmer than yesterday (not any brighter mind) and still a risk of a few showers today things should start kicking in fully from tomorrow

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Mikder here too but with steady rain now rather than patchy light showers dying out as forecast. 12.9C.

• Like 3

Posted

Another wet morning but slowly getting milder at 11c first thing.  New bull arrived yesterday meet Marvin.DSC02714.thumb.JPG.c73539a1d8ae805afead6b04f7a483e7.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
33 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Another wet morning but slowly getting milder at 11c first thing.  New bull arrived yesterday meet Marvin.DSC02714.thumb.JPG.c73539a1d8ae805afead6b04f7a483e7.JPG

As a farmer, NL, can you answer me one question: Why on earth does the UK need to import lamb & mutton from Australia? Where's the environmental sense in that?

If there's one food-animal we have in plentiful supply, here, it's sheep!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

As a farmer, NL, can you answer me one question: Why on earth does the UK need to import lamb & mutton from Australia? Where's the environmental sense in that?

If there's one food-animal we have in plentiful supply, here, it's sheep!

No environmental sense and no economic sense either.

Sheep trade here is at record high levels just now the opposite of what was supposed to happen after Brexit not before time when just a couple of years ago old breeding ewes were worth a pound or less. World population not getting any less and we are onlly just 60% self sufficient  in most farm commodities except sheep where we are sometimes just over 100%. Thousands of cattle and sheep were disposed of last autumn fearing the worst from Brexit and so far it hasn"t happened with domestic prices going up . Milk is struggling because of reduced demand and pressure from the supermarkets but it  can"t go on forever as they have lost all their eastern european milking staff and our now advertising for UK folk to do the milking a bit of a forlorn hope . Poultry and pigs with their  quick breeding cycles are more plentiful on the home market so prices easier there. A tough winter coming up with college advisors already saying forage/grain crops are compromised with the very cold and now wet spring

On the Farming Forum the other night I stirred the pot by saying that our politicians just wanted cheap food to keep the masses happy .An Aussie farmer replied say we couldn"t afford their lamb or beef  plus cost of shipping as it was trading just now at record highs and they had plenty of outlets in China and SE Aisia. Britain is pretty friendless in the world right now even the Americans won"t do a trade deal until they see the direction of travel in N  Ireland so personally I am not to bothered about trade deals and more concerned about the effects the weather will have especially on the world grain markets.

• Like 9

Posted
12 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

No environmental sense and no economic sense either.

Sheep trade here is at record high levels just now the opposite of what was supposed to happen after Brexit not before time when just a couple of years ago old breeding ewes were worth a pound or less. World population not getting any less and we are onlly just 60% self sufficient  in most farm commodities except sheep where we are sometimes just over 100%. Thousands of cattle and sheep were disposed of last autumn fearing the worst from Brexit and so far it hasn"t happened with domestic prices going up . Milk is struggling because of reduced demand and pressure from the supermarkets but it  can"t go on forever as they have lost all their eastern european milking staff and our now advertising for UK folk to do the milking a bit of a forlorn hope . Poultry and pigs with their  quick breeding cycles are more plentiful on the home market so prices easier there. A tough winter coming up with college advisors already saying forage/grain crops are compromised with the very cold and now wet spring

On the Farming Forum the other night I stirred the pot by saying that our politicians just wanted cheap food to keep the masses happy .An Aussie farmer replied say we couldn"t afford their lamb or beef  plus cost of shipping as it was trading just now at record highs and they had plenty of outlets in China and SE Aisia. Britain is pretty friendless in the world right now even the Americans won"t do a trade deal until they see the direction of travel in N  Ireland so personally I am not to bothered about trade deals and more concerned about the effects the weather will have especially on the world grain markets.

Thanks NL, I do wonder (sometimes!) if the whole world's going mad: we have more sheep than people, I think, and yet we still import their meat from here, there and everywhere . . . so, why the heck is sheep meat so bloody expensive? Sometimes (well, most if the time, to be honest!) I think we're being run by imbeciles?

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
2 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Thanks NL, I do wonder (sometimes!) if the whole world's going mad: we have more sheep than people, I think, and yet we still import their meat from here, there and everywhere . . . so, why the heck is sheep meat so bloody expensive? Sometimes (well, most if the time, to be honest!) I think we're being run by imbeciles?

Too many middlemen  adding their mark up after sheep go to abbatoirs run mostly in this country by  a monopoly from Ireland in the first instance. Then you have the butchery done either in a factory or in independant butchers shops where a lot of cost is added. (Never seen a poor butcher yet same as farmers?)The proportion of the total sale value going back to the farmer is fairly small.Thats the reason for an explosion in farm shops selling direct to the public retaining more of the value on farm.An auctioneer told me last years first  lockdown resulted in a huge demand for better cuts for home cooking and barbecues and that helped the live trade and sheep and cattle have been  very scarce ever since and after this terrible spring will be short again with reports that knackery lorries are picking up around fifty dead lambs/farm from some of the higher areas inland from me where there is absolutely no spring grass as yet with forage supplies exhausted now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Too many middlemen  adding their mark up after sheep go to abbatoirs run mostly in this country by  a monopoly from Ireland in the first instance. Then you have the butchery done either in a factory or in independant butchers shops where a lot of cost is added. (Never seen a poor butcher yet same as farmers?)The proportion of the total sale value going back to the farmer is fairly small.Thats the reason for an explosion in farm shops selling direct to the public retaining more of the value on farm.An auctioneer told me last years first  lockdown resulted in a huge demand for better cuts for home cooking and barbecues and that helped the live trade and sheep and cattle have been  very scarce ever since and after this terrible spring will be short again with reports that knackery lorries are picking up around fifty dead lambs/farm from some of the higher areas inland from me where there is absolutely no spring grass as yet with forage supplies exhausted now.

What confuses me is that, despite our having fields full of sheep and lambs, we still 'need' to import sheep-meat from the antipodes. And then, pay through the nose for it!

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

What confuses me is that, despite our having fields full of sheep and lambs, we still 'need' to import sheep-meat from the antipodes. And then, pay through the nose for it!

A lot of this is related to old connections through Commonwealth/Colonial days and also to supply the market outwith our breeding season troughs in late  autumn/winter. Lambing starting from Xmas onwards nowadays to May is helping to iron out these troughs

China too is helping to remove a lot of Austrailian /New Zealand Meat from the market just now and is now controlling a lot of inputs into agriculture and industry. They control the worlds fertiliser markets and are battling hard with the Americans to control other industrial inputs. Effectively there is a world economic war going on just now and the UK  in my opinion is a very small player in this now

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

China too is helping to remove a lot of Australian /New Zealand Meat from the market just now and is now controlling a lot of inputs into agriculture and industry. They control the worlds fertiliser markets and are battling hard with the Americans to control other industrial inputs. Effectively there is a world economic war going on just now and the UK  in my opinion is a very small player in this now

The west tends to look down on and are arrogant towards China - big mistake as they will be the leading superpower in the decades ahead.  The US is effectively bankrupt, with China even owning more USA debt than Japan (the thing to watch is how China is trying to usurp the Petrodollar system with the Yuan, remove that and the value of the dollar will plummet with the ramifications that has for the US economy).  China plays the long game in politics and economics, for example in O&G they will happily invest in areas in Africa that are off limits for western oil companies due to politics and/or perceived economic and HSE risk - also look at the Covid Vaccine programs worldwide and how China is helping the likes of Africa and Near-Asia whilst Western governments basically ignore them.  All down to building up favours as resources get rarer in the future.

Anyway, back to weather.

In that regard Aberdeenshire again excels in Permagloom™ productivity with another day of grey murk.  At least it was dry and a bit warmer with a max of 11.1c with light winds.

Landscape looking a bit greener now...

H.thumb.jpg.0937e45717299e9e49f118f06bba9594.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

After a wet morning it brightened up this afternoon with some sunny intervals. Milder too with a max of 15.7C and still 12.5C now so a mild night to come. Quite a colourful sky to the West now but not sure how it comes out in the photo.

D09B394B-3C93-455C-8002-AE8BB4EADF5C.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted

Cloud's starting to clear should (eventually) be a crackerjack of a afternoon and the next few days after not looking too shabby either

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Cracker, 19c in the tropical South 

E7E98B7D-5B5D-4F04-8B0B-A488EF4DEF85.jpeg

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted

Looked like we we're in for a crackerjack of a afternoon..........not quite worked out like that (the cloud been more stubborn than thought)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Took a while for the cloud to break up but in the end it hit a high of 18.9C according to the weather station just up the road. The bees certainly approved as I came home to find a swarm in one of the trees, the first this year. Quite a small one and easy enough to get to, so they are in a small hive now. Would rather not have any more, especially this weekend as we're off to Pitlochry with the motorhome, but I suspect it'll not be the last.

• Like 5

Posted

Dull dreich drizzly here first thing  this morning but mild at 14c. Trying to brighten up now at midday.  Update early pm it cleared to blue skies and 15c. Finally starting to dry up a bit.Loks as though weekend should be busy in the fields with sprayers and neep sowers. A lot of crops have  yellow waterlogged patches a bit of manganese/copper will help the colour . A herbicide to control the weeds should help to make them look a bit better as well.

• Like 7