Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

Not a bad few days in the upper tweed catchment. Missed all showers (yesterday included) so no rain since Friday at my spot, and temps in low teens. Wanted to share this shot summing things up:

PXL_20210516_135319031.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Might not be as lucky missing the showers today (for the most part in the last week we've actually missed the vast majority but at the moment it is dry with a bit of a breeze. End of the weeks looks rank UGH!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Radar was showing a few strikes a few miles away yesterday but wasn't lucky enough to see any or hear thunder got a few structure shots and one of cells that were getting going to the south IMG_20210517_144822.thumb.jpg.3a89139105189681ec027b83bec2adbe.jpgIMG_20210517_145120.thumb.jpg.fdb9ae08ec708cc88169de5ba758704c.jpgIMG_20210517_145435.thumb.jpg.6a0db69bc7ba3d43d0ed18b45ee50537.jpgIMG_20210517_145103.thumb.jpg.e9427baf0a9b7fabd315c3ea89b264cf.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Past 3 days here haven’t been too bad. Feels a good bit warmer than it has been of late. While the shower activity has been close (very close today) it’s actually remained dry with some heat within the sunshine. Yes there has been towering cumulus blocking the sun at times but it’s pleasant within the sunshine and stayed dry. Near miss this afternoon as Hamilton got heavy showers but stayed dry here. But it’s still cold come the evening when the sun has gone.. Do hope we will see a good bit warmer conditions come June. Horse Chestnuts near me still not flowered properly and leaves still not in full leaf.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Similar to yesterday in that it started off fair but heavy showers came on during the afternoon. The heaviest one gave about 8 or 9 rumbles of thunder though I only saw a couple of lightning flashes and none nearer than a couple of miles from home. Pics of approaching shower plus one of a funnel cloud seen above the Sidlaws. 

BBAA6132-4093-41AD-BF6F-25522212725E.jpeg

91117352-013A-4580-8CF3-FC3BA3534612.jpeg

BAD766AB-D186-4120-B29B-97D901EBDDAC.jpeg

2EFD72D4-B734-4128-8AAB-EB946A2B411B.jpeg

4DEF4550-38FC-41C3-B8FB-011A481D2A5A.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
29 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

Past 3 days here haven’t been too bad. Feels a good bit warmer than it has been of late. While the shower activity has been close (very close today) it’s actually remained dry with some heat within the sunshine. Yes there has been towering cumulus blocking the sun at times but it’s pleasant within the sunshine and stayed dry. Near miss this afternoon as Hamilton got heavy showers but stayed dry here. But it’s still cold come the evening when the sun has gone.. Do hope we will see a good bit warmer conditions come June. Horse Chestnuts near me still not flowered properly and leaves still not in full leaf.

I was out for a run at lunchtime. Shawlands was dry, Mount Florida looked like it had been hit by a monsoon, and when I turned the corner to go into Cathcart it was dry again. It was that localised.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
On 17/05/2021 at 23:04, Hairy Celt said:

Well said, I agree entirely. I'm also pleased to see a full-time wheelchair user elected. 

I went out on my bike earlier, tempted by patches of blue sky and little wind. The rain started before I got out the gate so it was a short ride but fun nonetheless. Also, 3 months on from a broken fibula and a buggered ankle, I'm back to walking on rough ground and optimistic about an active summer. When summer arrives....

Glad to hear that you're mobile again.

Showers in the early morning, (9am, early for me,) cleared up quickly and the cloud cover had mostly disappeared by lunchtime and completely by tea time leaving a sunny, warm day for the most part.

Maximum temperature was 15.2deg.C at 17:03 up from a minimum of 1.9deg.C at 03:02, max humidity was 93% at 06:07 and min was 54% at 14:25, wind was generally 0 to 5mph southeasterly, pressure rose from 1010.1hPa at 00:02 to 1015.5hPa at 23:13, there was 0.4mm of rain and cloud cover reduced to 1/8 through the day from 5/8 early on.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

After a decent weekend it's been sunshine and showers this week so far. Raining this morning but something warmer on the far horizon, late next week onwards?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Today started off looking like it would be the reverse of yesterday in that it was sunny and almost cloudless early on and then convective cloud bubbled up and by lunchtime my guess was it would be overcast and dull by teatime. Not so. The cloud is breaking up noww and it's been a great day so far.

Temperature is currently 15.2deg.C, humidity is 60%, wind is 4mph southwesterly, pressure is 1019.6hPa rising slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 3/8 at the moment.

• Like 4

Posted

Was 0.6C at 05:30 early this morning - surprised at that.... Toamtoes on the staging in the greenhouse would have been shivering.

Lovely day with sixty two spots of rain, no more. max of 15.4C.  

• Like 5

Posted

My goodness the last couple of days have been vile.

The days start dry but by mid-morning the rain starts and then stays on....

Light winds and cool, max today was just 9c. 

• Like 4

Posted

Turned wet as expected. Wind's getting up too UGH

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Not a bad day, well 6-8c and howling wind but mostly dry bar few spots, turning wetter now though.

• Like 4

Posted

The weather really is in a rut here.

Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ all day with periodic bursts of rain ensuring that surfaces remained wet for most of the time.

Light SE wind increasing steadily all day, now veering east, fresh to strong.

Feeling cold with a max of 9c.

Beech trees are still not in leaf yet, they are going to have a short growing season this year at this rate.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Quinach said:

The weather really is in a rut here.

Aye, weekly Thursday evening run to Insch and back just completed and it was 6C and raining, heavily at times. At least it's an improvement from earlier in the month, when it was nearer 3 or 4C and heavy rain/sleet/wet snow.

It'll be very interesting to see how May fares for average temperature anomaly this year.

• Like 5

Posted

Dry start to the day at a cool 8c with a moderate north wind .  Not much of a warm up in the afternoon as it got duller and duller.

The  frost scalded leaves/buds of the top 25% of the horse chestnut tree have never recovered and they  really stand out now.A legacy of the early April frosty wind. Can"t ever remember this happening before.

Crops still only slowly growing.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer

Utterly foul evening here. Brief walk with the dog in driving rain and a cold wind. Scarcely believable we are nearly in June. Tomorrow’s forecast for north east Scotland looks miserable to say the least.

• Like 6

Posted

A damp start followed by a dry day until the rain started at 20:05.

Temperature max was 10.7deg.C at 08:33 up from a min of 6.2deg.C at 00:40, humidity max was 91% at 00:50 reducing to a min of 73% at 13:23, wind max was 17mph at 14:48 with direction swinging from WNW to N throughout the day, pressure max was 1019.6hPa at 00:00 falling to min of 990.5hPa at 23:39 and still dropping like a rock, there's been 1.8mm of rain today and cloud cover was 8/8 all day.

• Like 5

Posted

Cool wet start at 7c with a fresh NE wind.Real springlike!!

Have attached an article on climate plus other subjects from a former agronomist of mine .Used to look forward to his Xmas meetings where you always came away with thought provoking stuff.He was always good at looking at subjects from a different angle.Now a manager of a vast farming operation in the Ukraine. His take on global warming has always been unique56627907-1e6e-49dd-b6ad-70e6853a0e3e.pdf

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
32 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Cool wet start at 7c with a fresh NE wind.Real springlike!!

Have attached an article on climate plus other subjects from a former agronomist of mine .Used to look forward to his Xmas meetings where you always came away with thought provoking stuff.He was always good at looking at subjects from a different angle.Now a manager of a vast farming operation in the Ukraine. His take on global warming has always been unique56627907-1e6e-49dd-b6ad-70e6853a0e3e.pdf

A fascinating article, NL. I'm sure glad that I studied geochemistry, geophysics and ecology, all those years ago. Had I not done so, I wouldnae have clue!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cold wet and windy

• Like 5

Posted

Absolutely horrid! Lights on as it's so dark outside! Heating keeps kicking in too which is pretty grim for the time of year! The start of the week was OK to be fair as we missed any showers and had several decent, warm sunny days. making up for it now though with this pish! 

• Like 8

Posted

Scotland has many redeeming qualities.

The weather is invariably not one of them.

A truly dire November day but its May!!  

Currently 6.5c with a strong North to North-Easterly wind blowing the moderate rain at an angle that confounds the rain jacket hood and thus soaks you in the face.

Oh weather gods, what did the NE do to be given this?...

image.thumb.png.6786bcc7f49af45e6de5ab26de3006d2.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 8