Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

After the soggy grey mess that was yesterday, today is a dry grey mess.

So far it's been classic Aberdeenshire Permagloom™ with mist enveloping the surrounding hills.  Hopefully it might get a bit brighter later.

Calm conditions and currently 9.9c.

ee.thumb.jpg.3b84107464af88c06f0d124e6d55dd0a.jpg

On reflection there must have been a lot of rain since the start of the month as ground conditions have reversed completely from the hard baked dust of April to the current mudbath.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Cracking day again here, hit 17.5c about 30 mins ago but has since clouded over with droplets of rain.

16c, humid. Much more summer like feel to things

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

A dry day with a lot of brightness and even periods of sunshine. Altogether very agreeable.

Maximum temperature was 14.7deg.C at 15:25 and the minimum was 6.0deg.C at 00:00, humidity ranged from 89% at 00:00 to 68% at 13:24, the wind ranged from 0 to 13mph mainly north-northwesterly, pressure went from 1010.7hPa at 00:00 to 1014.3hPa at 22:56 and is rising slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover has varied between 3/8 and 5/8.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Another soggy morning here and tad chilly at 6c and gawd chance of snow again appearing on the charts later next week...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A rather nondescript day here. Cloudy but no rain, light wind and neither warm nor particularly cold at 10.7C.

Highlight of the day (an exciting life)on the mornings walk was seeing nine buzzards soaring above the Technology Park and also spotting my first swallow of the season. Phone camera unfortunately not good enough to pick out either very well.

• Like 7

Posted

An unremarkable day altogether, at least up until now. Fridays have become rather dangerous since my pals designated my garden as the low village beer garden, which two Fridays ago ended n a wasted Saturday and last Friday descended into a lost weekend. Here we go again...

Temperature currently 11.3deg.C following a maximum of 12.3deg.C at 13:25 and 6.3deg.C at 03:32, humidity is 72%, wind 0 to 8mph southeasterly, pressure is 1011.0hPa falling slowly, cloud cover is 7/8 but no too thick and there's been no rain in the last 24 hours.

I'm going out now. I may be some time.

• Like 6

Posted

Pardon the double post but I meant to say before how delighted I was to see the actions of the good people of Pollokshields yesterday. Up until then Weegies were mainly known for giving terrorists a good kicking, even when they are already on fire, because they arrived here intent on harm. Yesterday however displayed the other side to Glasgow when, in total defiance of the Little Englanders in charge darn sarf, the population rose in defense of foreigners who had arrived to join us. Makes me proud to be Scottish.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Not warm but not cold no rain only fleeting glimpses of the sun a wee bit of a breeze all a bit meh

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Godsake outlook looks dire.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

Godsake outlook looks dire.

We were just talking about the weather at work yesterday, especially after some biblical downpours earlier in the week, and the less than inspiring forecasts.

It's 6 weeks until the end of term, after which we have 7 weeks holiday here as we went back a week early last summer (for all the good that likely did). It was suggested that the good weather was being saved up and we will have wonderful weather for the whole 7 week summer holiday...at which point everyone burst out laughing. Perhaps for once though it might happen, to compensate for all the Covid related crap in the last year?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A slightly better day yesterday dull damp start but brighter/dryer in  the afternoon allowing team Northernlights to mow /strim all domestic grasses for the first time this year a bit like ourselves after visit to hairdressers on  last Wednesday looking much better for the trim.  Made it to 12c yesterday afternoon.

On a really positive note the first pair of swifts arrived in the farmhouse eves arrived last night so it sounded like midsummer as the pair screamed round the house but did not feel like it.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Pics from this week

Monday, again looked like a gust front attempt possibly a bit of lowering on the leading edge and bit of scud IMG_20210510_131920.thumb.jpg.d30c28bc3c3b76b568ccc49b355328be.jpgIMG_20210510_132020.thumb.jpg.6e1e2403b7280dbcab3c5d1657628ed4.jpg

Wednesday distant convection but escaped the showers IMG_20210512_140525.thumb.jpg.cdd613d9b04bc714a3faf39cf887ce73.jpgIMG_20210512_140511.thumb.jpg.e219110463641166a238e1ad8b031370.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

After a few days of depressing Aberdeenshire Permagloom™, the sun finally managed to make an appearance this afternoon.

Overall a useable day as a consequence.

Dry, light winds and a max of 12c, so feeling very pleasant in the sunshine.

Out of that, it still felt like an early April day.  

So far this is definitely one of the most memorable years of weather, I do wonder what the rest of it will produce.  Unusual weather not confined to here, surprised to read about how bad the drought situation is in Taiwan which I normally associate with flooding and Typhoons - link 1link 2

• Like 6

Posted

Fabulous sunny morning with a light northerly wind .Have just had lunch outside in the sun in front of the garden shed which Mrs Northernlights turned into a sitouterie a year ago in the first lockdown and today is the first day this spring its been warm enough in the sun to do this but the wind is cold Cattle lying flat  in the sun. Currently 13c but early morning it was 2c uder clear skies.A few clouds bubbling up over the Cairngorms to the south. Ground begining to dry out too.

• Like 6

Posted

What a splendid day, despite a forecast to the contrary. Was up in Clarkston at my mother's for lunch, which we ate outside in her plastic garden. Car thermometer was claiming a temperature there of 18deg.C and it's fairly accurate.

Temperature rose to a maximum of 16.2deg.C back here at 15:51 up from a minimum of 3.3deg.C at 01:59 and is currently 14.2deg.C, (which to me is sitting out weather,)  humidity is 63%, wind is 1 to 10mph south-southeasterly, pressure is 999.1hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 4/8 with scattered big, puffy, white clouds allowing plenty of sunshine through.

• Like 2

Posted

Lovely sunny day west edinburgh

drove down to east side Edinburgh and it was a different story with rain

my question is what made the rain make it no further inland and just got stuck over Musselburgh / prestonpans ? 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, johndunnhawthorn said:

Lovely sunny day west edinburgh

drove down to east side Edinburgh and it was a different story with rain

my question is what made the rain make it no further inland and just got stuck over Musselburgh / prestonpans ? 

Aurora Storm was just phoning about this after me saying what a lovely morning we had here. Some fairly thundery looking showers to the SW in the late afternoon but never reached here.

• Like 2

Posted

One of those amusing days when you look at the Met Office forecast in the morning and it's a sea of grey for the whole day.

Then you go out and its gorgeous and sunny.

So you check the app again later in the day and lo and behold the grey has been replaced by a sea of yellow.

These automated forecasts still have a bit of maturing to do....

As intimated, a gorgeous day in Deeside with plenty of sunshine, light winds and dry.  Feeling warm in the sunshine and if you believe the car thermometer a high of around 15c.

Crathes castle looking resplendent as ever- absolutely hooching with people.

c.thumb.jpg.c6bc91635561ef67a1e9d1c2c0e1999a.jpg

Fields and trees noticeably further ahead than around here, that lovely spring green to the fore...

b.thumb.jpg.ac01f6d1d38d810366c16cf681ae9ecd.jpg

Locals in the fields couldn't care less about all the visitors...

a.thumb.jpg.83ef4f1c636fd661004b266c55c5b171.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Very unlucky this morning to be under a line of showers not moving much but it is trying to brighten up now. Looks a very changeable week coming up so no neep sowing. Cloud cover gave a mild stsrt to the day at 10c

• Like 7

Posted

The cloud to our southwest is breaking up nicely now although the unbroken puffy white cumulous to the north and east look to have settled in for the day. Still, it's reasonably warm and with only very light breezes it's a nice day.

Temperature has risen to 13.9deg.C up from an overnight minimum of 2.9deg.C at 01:57, humidity is 59%, wind 0 to 5mph southerly, pressure is 1007.3hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 5/8.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
On 14/05/2021 at 15:44, Puffy MacCloud said:

Pardon the double post but I meant to say before how delighted I was to see the actions of the good people of Pollokshields yesterday. Up until then Weegies were mainly known for giving terrorists a good kicking, even when they are already on fire, because they arrived here intent on harm. Yesterday however displayed the other side to Glasgow when, in total defiance of the Little Englanders in charge darn sarf, the population rose in defense of foreigners who had arrived to join us. Makes me proud to be Scottish.

Not quite so proud after George Square on Saturday though.

Posted

No, @Hairy Celt, not quite, but I refuse to be shamed by a crock of cretins whose limited intellectual capacity leaves them mired in sectarian, bigoted and racist beliefs that reduces their ability to express their identity to anti-social, tribal and moronic destruction. However, I still feel that the Pollokshields episode, combined with the inspiring scenes at Hollyrood last week when the MSPs took their oaths in their first languages to make it evident that Scotland is a country of and for the people and not a state built on control of the people, shows more accurately what our national values are. We're still 2-1 up.

Currently dry and sunny.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Fair here this morning and at some point the temp crept up to 15C. Since mid afternoon though it has been cloudy and there have been heavy showers, one with hail and a clap of thunder. Currently wet at 9C.

• Like 2

Posted

A ever so typical Scottish summer type day.

Dry to start with, with even some warm sunshine.

Cloud building quickly leading to a 2 hour period of persistent moderate to heavy rain around lunchtime.

That cleared from the north to leave a dry late afternoon and evening with some sunny spells.

Light winds throughout and a max of 13c.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

No, @Hairy Celt, not quite, but I refuse to be shamed by a crock of cretins whose limited intellectual capacity leaves them mired in sectarian, bigoted and racist beliefs that reduces their ability to express their identity to anti-social, tribal and moronic destruction. However, I still feel that the Pollokshields episode, combined with the inspiring scenes at Hollyrood last week when the MSPs took their oaths in their first languages to make it evident that Scotland is a country of and for the people and not a state built on control of the people, shows more accurately what our national values are. We're still 2-1 up.

Currently dry and sunny.

Well said, I agree entirely. I'm also pleased to see a full-time wheelchair user elected. 

I went out on my bike earlier, tempted by patches of blue sky and little wind. The rain started before I got out the gate so it was a short ride but fun nonetheless. Also, 3 months on from a broken fibula and a buggered ankle, I'm back to walking on rough ground and optimistic about an active summer. When summer arrives....

• Like 9