Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

Had 1 or 2 showers nothing too major though.........YET!

• Like 3

Posted

A really heavy hailstormon on just now and ground white Very humid beforehand and  as I type a very loud crack of   thunder overhead.  Straight from winter to summer in 3 days

Currently 13c

• Like 5

Posted
35 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

A really heavy hailstormon on just now and ground white Very humid beforehand and  as I type a very loud crack of   thunder overhead.  Straight from winter to summer in 3 days

Currently 13c

I had the hail shower it was really Heavy but did not here the Thunder  

• Like 5

Posted

Ponds everywhere just now. Put fertiliser on veg  garden at lunchtime all nicely washed in now. Next door fields being planted with tatties just now but operations halted for a few days now. Our neep sowing which we were planning around the 20th May still has time for  ground to dry out.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Ponds everywhere just now. Put fertiliser on veg  garden at lunchtime all nicely washed in now. Next door fields being planted with tatties just now but operations halted for a few days now. Our neep sowing which we were planning around the 20th May still has time for  ground to dry out.

Hi NL, it's always good to hear what's afoot in God's country, where half of my children still stay. 

Apart from the absence of heavy showers, and slightly warmer temperatures, the sudden switch is having the same effects down here: even with a constant hoolie, things are already feeling much better -- and at last, some worthwhile rainfall! 

The £30,000-worth of recently-sown leeks won't mind in the slightest?

• Like 4

Posted

A gardening moan.Have a neighbour who asked to go and see his very enclosed garden as something seemed to be tearing up his lawn.Able to show him paw marks of badgers who must have scaled a four foot wooden board fence.

In   our own garden we have the same and in the next month I am going to put up a sheep electric fence to keep them from taking the strawberries which they seemed to develop a taste for last summer. A first for me .Badger numbers are off the scale locally. In our garden they scale a four foot stone dyke to get in.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Night lightning show tomorrow ... might be 20210510_1651.PPVG89.thumb.png.cfea001c2674d51c6d7e48b74c9ef8e7.png Storms develop across England and push north/ NNW with our chances from teatime onward 

• Like 9

Posted
8 minutes ago, Quinach said:

What a difference in a few days.

A perfect summer's day.  Not too hot, not too cold with light winds and variable cloud.

Bar a fleeting shower of rain at teatime, a dry day.

I think a record temperature for the year so far for here with a max of 16.4c; currently 8.1c.

Things seem to be greening up as you look at them, trees especially are suddenly bursting into life.

fg.thumb.jpg.7dcfda351a1cf809d41fbd184cc65438.jpg

hh.thumb.jpg.b22abda0c711248a9fca35c53c748127.jpg

Regarding Badgers, they are definitely on the increase round here with setts being created close to the nearest village to us.  I'm told that is unheard off.  That proximity is creating issues as apparently one of them chased a dog down one of the local farm tracks the other day when it made the mistake of sniffing their sett.  The local hunting menagerie likes to shot anything feathered or furry so I suspect given the chance they will add them to the list - they may well indeed be part of the problem as there are kamikaze pheasants everywhere that just seem to deliberately walk in front of cars.  Result, lots of road kill and free food for badgers.

I think @Hairy Celt once said to me that if numbers were so high then  why  did a lot   not starve over winter. Like you I said that my thoughts were that all the tame pheasants that were released with zero natural instincts for survival having never been taught by a pheasant  hen mother and who roosted on the ground not in trees provided this vital food source for survival  in the winter months.

Back in the sixties when they were afforded protected status we had one sett neighbouring the farm which my father told me never to disclose to anyone and now we have ten setts within one mile. No one  wants to wipe them out but we need to control numbers now.The forlorn tweeting of a pair of Oyster Catchers this evening reminds me that its three years since I saw a chick from any of  them. The eggs are now eaten every year.

On the proposed new A96 from Inverness to Hardmuir ( 18 miles)   220 badger setts would be destroyed.The  nature advisors were asked  what effect it  would have on the population and their answer was negligable. There are just too many now.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Sunday ... rain, Monday ... rain, Tuesday ... rain. Bound to improve sometime, surely? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Lovely day to start my annual leave, 15.5c, strong unbroken sunshine and a drying wind.

Despite this the ground is squelching as you walk such has been the monsoon like rainfall since the April drought. 

Heavy showers forecast to move up from the South tonight, much more ‘summer’ like. 
The grass is well behind where it normally is but recent nights keeping us in double digits or high single figures should cause a rapid change

• Like 8

Posted

The hailstorm from yesterday has done a bit of damage to some hilly areas of spring barley with soil washed away from roots  so maybe looking at 5 to 10% losses.Much drier and sunny this afternoon at 17c

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Went out for lunch today as, although it had started off dull and wet, the weather was picking up by lunchtime and in fact got nicer as the day went on.

Temperature maxed out at 16.0deg.C at 17:07 up from a minimum of 7.4deg.C at 06:36, humidity now 70%, there's no wind at all, pressure is 1007.8hPa steady, there was 7.6mm of rain overnight but none since early morning and the cloud cover has been slowly breaking up to 6/8 now.

• Like 7

Posted

As others have noted, big rise in temperature the last couple of days. Felt lovely in the sun in St Andrews this afternoon at 16c. 

Slight contrast to last month in terms of rainfall though! (Leuchars figures)

- April 2021 2.6mm (6% of monthly average)

- May 2021 (1st to 11th) 60mm (123% of monthly average)

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Lovely day yesterday,  but woke up to the sound of torrential hail at 5 this morning, now heavy rain.

• Like 6

Posted

Surveying the damage last night to the  sloping spring barley fields was reminded that I think it was in the late seventies early eighties that we started to see more frequent showers of what I call tropical rain causing surface soil erosion. Prior to then rain in Scotland was referred to as "Scotch Mist" and was more likely to be light to moderate rain .Since the nineties we sow an area of barley round the neeps to contain soil run off down the drills during these tropical events. Another thing is prior to the seventies thunder was mostly confined to late July early August up here and certainly not mid May like last Mondays. A final comment prior to the seventies we mostly had  sheet lightning but nowadays we witness more than half as forked lightning   The atmosphere must have a lot more energy in it these days                                         

• Like 7

Posted

Seems to be a trend of just about Dry days............but wet nights that balance might be about to change today  (and does look all a bit meh with very heavy showers most days) Usually we get decent Mays...........not this year

• Like 4

Posted

What a contrast to the last couple of days.

Rain off and on, some very heavy pulses at times.  It's gotten very dark here in the last 30 mins such that I've had to put on the lights - looking towards the west the cloud is very threatening looking and checking the radar looks like some thundery activity there (though not heard anything).  It will bypass here as its drifting in a WNW direction.

Feeling cool with current temperature of 7.6c and light winds.

image.thumb.png.63153e5b772cdb9ada199328de0a7482.png

Edit - now torrential rain and hail at the same time.  So what do you call that mixture 

Edited by Quinach
Added photo
  • Like 4

Posted

More heavy rain this morning at 9c.Picture of some of the damage Resized_20210511_191044.thumb.jpg.fe4a9fc5423911af1bdfa0147f03f105.jpgto spring barley from the torrential hail and rain two days ago. Hearing that some of the upland areas such as Dufftown/Glenlivet who normally grow a bit of grain for stockfeed still haven"t got their fields sown.Getting a bit late now to get a crop to ripen even for  October . The spring has really gone downhill now, much prefer the cold dry easterly based winds to this mudfest.

• Like 5

Posted

Here come the showers. Took a while to start brewing after the wet night/morning

• Like 4

Posted

Just got caught out in an absolute torrent of hail and rain! Madness!!!

Screenshot_2021-05-12-19-43-47-64.thumb.jpg.07054ca438088f1a0517b021af6c8653.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

A mostly cloudy day with occasional showers making it all in all a bit of a disappointment.

Maximum temperature was 14.7deg.C at 17:18 and the minimum was 4.1deg.C at 05:15, humidity ranged from 94% at 06:00 to 52% at 17:56, there's been next to no wind all day, pressure went from 1007.2hPa at 04:22 to 1010.6hPa at 22:14 and is rising slowly, there's been 4.2mm today and 8.6mm in the last 24 hours and cloud cover has varied between 6/8 and 8/8.

• Like 2

Posted

A follow up to crop damge here .My old college friend south of Abedeen said he had an inch and a half of rain in a few hours yesterday morning. This is the resultant damage in his tattie fields.IMG-20210512-WA0003.thumb.jpg.aaa3e9876cd6092edc62a666a3b7ef2e.jpg

Currently 7c dull calm and dry.

• Like 8