Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Structure on the shower just moving away from here IMG_20210429_195843.thumb.jpg.51335316cc32596079eb26b361e141e6.jpgIMG_20210429_200137.thumb.jpg.7fe23f23a394a8e4a0b186159aa8034b.jpgIMG_20210429_200157.thumb.jpg.165b8314db0d16250d45df679364217f.jpgIMG_20210429_200514.thumb.jpg.a262aa97e09511cbe31e2fede34f1007.jpgIMG_20210429_200650.thumb.jpg.79122cba06da031ddcc123dd8f68478d.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Just been out in the back garden having a couple of beers with a friend and, blooming 'eck Mavis, it's a tad chilly...

Temperature currently 4.7deg.C following a maximum of 11.6deg.C at 15:01 and a minimum of 0.5deg.C at 05:31, humidity is 76%, no wind is registering, pressure is 1018.1hPa rising slowly, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 6/8.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

According to the wife the high ground between Huntly and Alford had a covering of snow this morning. I can believe that as I'm not long back from picking up the youngest from fitness training in Insch and I saw everything short of snow. Certainly rain and sleet, with hail or grapple rattling off the car at one point.

The message we got about the school heating being turned off on 10th May as it's council policy certainly caused a bit of discussion at work today. With the current weather not looking as if it will warm up any time soon, and the requirement to keep at least some windows open in the classrooms, that might have to be reconsidered. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Woke up to heavy sleet, turning to rain. Not amused.

• Like 6

Posted

White with hail first thing this morning and 2c Very showery looking sky.

• Like 5

Posted

Another overnight frost with a min of -0.7c; currently 4.5c.

Showery start so far today, heavy but short lived - these are of rain with a hint of Sleet!

Light winds with brief sunny periods.

Really getting hacked off now with this cold weather as its slowing growth a lot, I have never seen these daffies so late in flowering (and this is a raised bed with c.4 hours direct sunlight per day so should be warmer than other areas).  The dry weather though really suited the violas as they have an excellent show - in contrast the big floppy pansies the kids insisted on have collapsed in the recent cold/wet.

image.thumb.png.04269651df41809990198c0b4c55ba60.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 6

Posted

Up to 6c now, showers continuing but this time are of hail/rain.

Do love brooding skies like this, compensates for the Baltic feel to the day...

image.thumb.png.060b9c626256a0e5a818d4ec18b15421.png

Unusual to see the fields steaming, this spring continues to entertain...

image.thumb.png.fb28a525f8522994b50c94ca65cdf480.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just about managed to get a decent walk in between the showers. My wife dropped me on her way into town as a hail/ rain shower was easing off. Feeling quite chilly but minutes later the sun came out and it felt warm with steam rising up off the pavement. Just about made it home when the next one came on. Lucky it was all hail so didn't get soaked. Not quite as cold this morning because of cloud and a breeze so a min of 3C. Got up to 9.6C at one point in the sunshine but as the showers come in dropping several degrees.

One shower disappearing and the next incoming. The swans enjoying the sun just before the hail started.

14FCEA29-0452-46E3-A463-F40ADF20CFE0.jpeg

566C806C-799F-4ADA-AA34-DAF96A849841.jpeg

A01C84D5-A1AD-4096-A695-B57798351D51.jpeg

BE42419F-53CB-452A-AD74-68CBCB6F287F.jpeg

E66D31D5-2792-430A-BCA9-FACC7F127135.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

It's Friday, it's five o'clock and it's Crackapack ofbeersopen. Since I said goodbye to Shaky Peg, my garden seems to have been designated as the preferred location for beers and debauchery, so, what can I say but here we go again.

Temperature currently 9.9deg.C up from a minimum of -0.4deg.C at 03:31 and down from a maximum of 11.5deg.C at 16:07, humidity is 53%, wind is 0 to 2mph north-northwesterly, pressure is 1019.1hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 7/8.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Looking up to the Cairngorms this evening.

0FAB2E08-1BA3-4A92-8911-9F40F3836F96.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
18 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Looking up to the Cairngorms this evening.

0FAB2E08-1BA3-4A92-8911-9F40F3836F96.jpeg

What a beautiful part of the world you live in hoping to get to Scotland during the summer travel permitting.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, Quinach said:

Another overnight frost with a min of -0.7c; currently 4.5c.

Showery start so far today, heavy but short lived - these are of rain with a hint of Sleet!

Light winds with brief sunny periods.

Really getting hacked off now with this cold weather as its slowing growth a lot, I have never seen these daffies so late in flowering (and this is a raised bed with c.4 hours direct sunlight per day so should be warmer than other areas).  The dry weather though really suited the violas as they have an excellent show - in contrast the big floppy pansies the kids insisted on have collapsed in the recent cold/wet.

image.thumb.png.04269651df41809990198c0b4c55ba60.png

One positive I guess is the stunted weed growth, if you dont think of weeds as flowers or un troublesome. The dandelions are out in profusion, but general weed cover is well below par, and nature in general feels 3 weeks or so behind where normally would be compared to recent years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer

Nice walk along the river Dee with the dog earlier this evening. A few things of note - how low the water level looks for the time of year - the distinct lack of greenery in the trees and undergrowth - and how chilly it was as breath was frosting up by the end of the walk. Just doesn’t feel like late spring at all.

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, Wee County Exile said:

Nice walk along the river Dee with the dog earlier this evening. A few things of note - how low the water level looks for the time of year - the distinct lack of greenery in the trees and undergrowth - and how chilly it was as breath was frosting up by the end of the walk. Just doesn’t feel like late spring at all.

It is the same with theTay. Here is the upper Tay near Aberfeldy today. More like the level you would expect during a long dry spell in Summer. Not much snow melt also contributing to the low levels I expect.

4CFA1F0A-0864-481A-96D0-A5BA12452586.png

• Like 7

Posted

Still taking cows in at night and unsurprisingly they are happy to do so. In warmer weather they would want to stay out. Good job we have extra silage from the  last two years as still on 80% winter diet. Grass  growth is minimal and still purple tipped with the cold. Currently 3.5c

A bit of a reminder of 2010 with a cold late spring.I wonder if winter 2021/2022 will start early too in November as a legacy of the end of solar minimum.

• Like 8

Posted

Welcome to May!

What a month April was in NE Fife (Leuchars figures):

Rainfall: 2.4mm (5% of monthly average)

Sunshine: 238 hours (165% of monthly average)

Temperature: 2c below the mean. The mean minimum was 0.3c (January average minimum 0.5c!)

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 9

Posted
5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Still taking cows in at night and unsurprisingly they are happy to do so. In warmer weather they would want to stay out. Good job we have extra silage from the  last two years as still on 80% winter diet. Grass  growth is minimal and still purple tipped with the cold. Currently 3.5c

A bit of a reminder of 2010 with a cold late spring.I wonder if winter 2021/2022 will start early too in November as a legacy of the end of solar minimum.

Has a feeling of 2010 and 2013, both were late springs, more so 2013. 2010 came on the back of a relatively dry winter and early spring as well..summer 2010 was very cool, quite dry and sunny at times though.. interesting to note the coming out of solar minima coinciding with a very weak jet again... 

• Like 3

Posted

Sixty eighth air frost -2.4°C overnight. And yes, @Mr FrostMonday afternoon looks interesting for the Borders with elevation... 

Screenshot_20210501-102156.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer

Not long back from a flying visit up to my hometown of Nairn. First visit to my elderly mother for quite a few months after this latest lockdown.

A nice walk along the beach and great to see so many families out enjoying themselves. But by goodness it was cold - wind coming in from the sea made it feel like February not May.

Across the firth Ben Wyvis looked to be holding plenty of the white stuff.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

So maybe  moving to Siberia is an option then? I mean, instead of Provence?

• Like 6

Posted

Final figures for April:

What a month April was in NE Fife (Leuchars figures):

Rainfall: 2.6mm (6% of monthly average)

Sunshine: 244 hours (169% of monthly average)

Temperature: 2c below the mean. The mean minimum was 0.3c (January average minimum 0.5c!)

• Like 7