Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted

Sixty fifth air frost, and colder than the night before, despite what the voice on the radio said yesterday, at -1.7C.

• Like 7

Posted

2c here this morning after a cloudy evening which has gone from the sky leaving a very sunny sky this morning.

• Like 3

Posted

Another warm day but defo more high cloud around today that sun tho defo has oomph to it felt warm waiting for the taxi from my local tesco

Edited by NUT
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Not quite a clear blue sky today but the cloud there is is very thin and very high so the temperature is climbing unabated. Lovely day.

Temperature currently maximum for the day at 17.6deg.C up from a minimum of 0.2deg.C at 06:27, highest so far this year, humidity is 32%, lowest this year, wind is 0 to 3mph south-southeasterly, pressure is 1030.0hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 1/8 equivalent.

Beers out the back later, which could get messy...

23 April 21 (2).jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Glasgow area feels like it’s on course for its first 20c today.

• Like 2

Posted

Thank you to those of you who had responded to our thinking about a trial move of the Scottish Thread and trying something a bit different. Turns out the trial is postponed now... Not for any bad reason, but to allow a bit more space to think things through some more 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Another glorious day here with just a very slight chill in the breeze and haze as the afternoon wore on. Max of 15.5C earlier but still a pleasant 13C. Min this morning was 2C with the breeze off the sea.

The Heilan coos down at riverside were scratching away on the small trees earlier.

87EA0E76-F13C-4548-96A4-998F86A31D2F.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
39 minutes ago, shuggee said:

Thank you to those of you who had responded to our thinking about a trial move of the Scottish Thread and trying something a bit different. Turns out the trial is postponed now... Not for any bad reason, but to allow a bit more space to think things through some more 

Is that the trial for the new attempted forum or software? sounds like something's in the pipeline for here

Posted

Pleasant morning and the sun took temperatures up to 12c but the wind off the sea this afternoon brought in cloud and haze (no actual haar to report) and it feels decidedly cool now in the breeze at 9c.

• Like 4

Posted

A wintry looking sunset to the NW just eight weeks away from the midsummer midnight dusk.DSC02605.thumb.JPG.21d0b87f49e3738f071171e56a1b3c0f.JPG

Feeling a bit warmer this evening after we lost the nagging NE wind of the late afternoon when I was doing some weeding in the garden. Fine weather for that as  wind was very drying. Currently  7c

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Another glorious day here after a rather dull start with temps up to a dizzy 12.5c, nice but as Northern Lights stated rather wintry sunset tonight also couple of pics from earlier in the week, you can just make out the snowy peak of Ben Klibreck popping up above the hill behind Lairg also a slight reflection of Ben Hee in Loch Shin taken from The Ord, would have been better but forgot camera and betime I had gone back down, back home and back up it was not as clear alas.

image.thumb.png.911851bc2ab59c853e564be25987ecad.pngimage.thumb.png.6032afc3fccd89b316a03f26872ea763.pngimage.thumb.png.9612406b6d947b030adb239b24284839.png

• Like 7

Posted

Just another observation of how cold its been this April but at least 50% of the daffodils will still be in bloom at the beginning  of May.There are even some in sheltered north facing spots that are still at  closed bud stage. We also have an acre of spring barley in  a very frosty north facing  spot  behind a wood only just emerging 10 days after the rest of the field.

• Like 6

Posted

Sunny start and 0c grass very grey at 6.00am. Stories  emerging across the UK  of drought stressed crops and little grass regrowth due to frost and lack of rain.Straw being driven from my neck of the woods to the south of England as well.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
24 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Sunny start and 0c grass very grey at 6.00am. Stories  emerging across the UK  of drought stressed crops and little grass regrowth due to frost and lack of rain.Straw being driven from my neck of the woods to the south of England as well.

It's the same down here, NL: I was attempting to weed the herb garden only yesterday -- it was like weeding concrete!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Weak CAPE develops through the day tomorrow and showers will want to try develop with convergence zone attempting to set up but with pressure being around 1030-1032 hpa that will also make it tough for the showers to develop, think in the highlighted area along any convergence clouds will try bubble up maybe some light showers at most 81D36882-A356-4E42-AD83-345F27F24855.thumb.jpeg.1811fa8c4c3a2c4e0a2691ddedabf6ba.jpeg19A4BAF6-3ECB-41CB-B464-DE641CDBE43C.thumb.png.34c0d7ddbca2950bd0369a53eb29d730.png after that an interesting question which is hard to ask without it sounding weird what’s the highest pressure recording from a low pressure we have had the low coming in looks to be around 1015>1013 hpa 7FD31246-4A36-46C3-8480-B0CD6291543C.thumb.png.5c4b530228c29cce38a14924f4a9847d.pngD2B6C589-FE73-4819-9037-A79427C3652D.thumb.png.c069efa9d67ffb2e89a870c05db1e5b4.png76983D02-4300-4DB8-A77E-F4752D5D7050.thumb.png.e7807a1658b24907e808c5432f75b277.png

• Like 5

Posted

Slower start today more cloud (guess the easterly kicking in) but that's cleared and no high cloud like yesterday just a bit more breeze but yet another crackerjack of a afternoon in store

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Very dry (apart from a little rain a few days ago) and a plenty sunny enough to be outside with 2 layers on, but not t-shirt weather yet.

Couple of ideas for extra sub-threads...one for the old curmudgeons to fester in and issue diktats, belch and generally grumble. Maybe one for Scottish politics too would be good - perhaps an adults only one, this.

• Like 4

Posted
On 23/04/2021 at 16:51, NUT said:

Is that the trial for the new attempted forum or software? sounds like something's in the pipeline for here

There's a review underway / options appraisal about the forum software @NUTand where we are headed more generally... So that supercedes the idea of fiddling with this invision board just now.

Beautiful day. 16.4°C the sun splitting the sky and my first guests to the house this year. Marv. 

• Like 5

Posted

Glorious day, wall to wall sunshine with just a hint of some high level cloud at times.

Calm conditions but surprisingly the temperature only maxed out at 14c, felt warmer than that though.

Looks like we're crashing back to reality next week, rain forecast every day from Monday and a lot cooler towards the end of the week if the Met Office is to be believed.

Neighbour was telling us that suspected hare coursers have been seen recently around here, never welcome and very unsavoury characters who seem to happily travel for hours to satisfy their bloodlust (last ones caught round here were from Glasgow if I recall).

• Like 4

Posted

It has been quite nice this week. Dropped off cleaning products (not my main job) with my aunt & uncle in Lennoxtown on Wednesday. I take a lot of photos of The Campsies from the house so it was nice to be up close for a change. Taken just south of Strathblane. 

Went for a walk this morning and luckily stumbled upon the local farmer letting the cows out for the first time this year. The noises coming from the ones still inside the shed was nuts! The ones let into the field were so happy. I’ve never seen a cow leap like a lamb!

13EF85E0-68A0-4C5B-877D-DD0C7FC8EA6F.jpeg

837776B6-26DA-4F93-A4DD-AFEF73E76929.jpeg

74D753EF-255D-4FF7-86E6-FB8A00787FC0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just for a bit of optomism I saw the first swallow yesterday morning about 7.30am It flew into the garage and I think remained there all day probably resting having arrived in such cold temperatures. Currently 4.5c

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
On 23/04/2021 at 01:35, Northernlights said:

With what seems to me a very traditional spring happening up here  I"ll    just pop this post in here I put on the Farming Forum about climate movement. Please feel free to move if in wrong thread.

"In my opinion governments round the world have just witnessed a unique experiment in the last year due to the virus with all forms of transport severely curtailed round the world. (Its great to see the intense colours of the sky with my old eyes and no contrails) This has resulted in the loss of of the brown ring of pollution at the edge of earths atmosphere allowing more heat to be radiated to space. This happened also in the few days after 9/11 when photos from space showed the brown ring of pollution replaced by a white ring. (283,000 aircraft worldwide flying at any one time no longer in the sky)

Also I feel because of this effect we have witnessd more defined seasons in the last year especially up here in the north of Scotland with superb  growing summer(lifetime best ever yields)  a proper autumn and a winter with the deep cold in January/February. followed by a  cold traditional spring as I remember during my childhood in the sixties. Remember the tenanted term date is the end of May in Scotland to allow completion  of crop sowing so springs in the past were usually late up here in the last few hundred years

This I think is the reason that the Biden team are quietly working away to make climate a top priority. My daughter who has a phd in Astrophysics does not disagree with me. I know this theorey  will not be popular with the aviation industry but already France has said that virus financial help will  have conditions attached. The main one being all internal flights with a train equivalent alternative are to be banned."

Brilliant informative post as ever. It has definitely been a more back to normal weather year.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

The remarkable April continues. Updated Leuchars figures: 0.4mm of rainfall, 205 hours of sunshine, temps 2.2c below the mean. Looks like the rainfall total will increase tomorrow though!

Great long walk in the Angus hills yesterday, unsurprisingly very dry underfoot!

7080A13D-359B-48E8-A6D2-8381862282CD.jpeg

B2FEEF0D-2334-4A70-BA88-D9F09F5D3D01.jpeg

00B12CDF-488E-4F2C-A2A5-C30904717AA4.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted

Another chilly night, overnight low of -2.1c so no wonder the grass is barely growing.

A high aurora alert in the middle of the night saw a half-hearted attempt at going out to see it - as usual, naff all to see but there was a moonbow though in compensation.

moonbow.thumb.jpg.a51025a2c9b88f80cc6f92d39a8694ed.jpg

Another sunny day, just a bit more in the way of high cloud.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Wall to wall sunshine today. Still a coolness in the breeze if in the shade but did reach 13.4C a little earlier from a min of 3.2C. Nice down by the river again this afternoon.

B6FA7062-95A4-42FE-B6E1-2686E12BF35B.jpeg

76F3CE98-3A3B-4B4B-B528-D9BF36D6983A.jpeg

• Like 7