Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
42 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Unusual to be excited for snow in April but I’m liking the charts for a few timeframes

tomorrow looks like a trough u can see the shape near enough B8B7EE6E-321C-4CAB-9BB9-DD7DA10EEAD6.thumb.png.b3f9b8c5b1eba15815a1cb4fd2e1956e.png chances for a covering I would say especially if it is a slow moving feature. Then a potential bigger snow producer as a developing low tracks NW-SE I’m calling it that the snow warnings will be coming quite soon for this ⛄️ image.thumb.gif.d23b836f4f258f8972abfc35c10bb153.gifimage.thumb.gif.ed6e593e64fea88a6eb01edccd6a6bdb.gif

More of a chance of sleet/snow/hail showers tomorrow evening in the central belt as the wind swings more NE

Edited by Penicuikblizzard
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Back to bright sunshine, occasional puffy clouds and a light breeze. Spring has been resprung.

Maximum temperature so far was 7.0deg.C at 11:51 up from a minimum of -0.3deg.C at 06:34, humidity is 58%, wind is 1 to 5mph west-northwesterly, pressure is 1015.0hPa steady, there's been no rain today, cloud cover is 1/8 and the dew point is at -2deg.C.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 5

Posted

A nice (albeit chilly)! Day clear start but clouded in a bit still nice though

• Like 5

Posted

Light snow falling here for 2mins from the smallest of snow showers...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Woke up to a dusting of snow from overnight, but only evident in the shade. Rest of the morning was bright and sunny, but cold with a stiff breeze at times (but nothing compared to yesterday). Got up and out and took the dog for a very pleasant walk around Loch Kinnord, taking advantage of the removal of the "stay at home" message, in sun and just the occasional flurry of light snow. 

Sat here now though and there's been a heavy shower of snow going for about the last 10mins, but starting to ease and brighten so probably short-lived. It's certainly not been a winter to forget, and I'm doing my best to ignore the large heating bill deficit that has built up over the last few months (not helped by being at home for much of that time).

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just back from a short cycle run. Felt warm in the sun but next moment going through a short sharp graupel shower. No air frost here last night with a min of 1C. Max of 7C today which felt nice out of the breeze. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Just had a wee shower pass over...not hail or snow ( apparently its called Graupel ) the temp dropped very quickly it was sitting around 8deg/C then 5.8deg/C during the shower, the cloud temp measured -8.6deg/C so there is plenty cold there.

I couldn't grab a picture it melted so fast...next time maybe..!!!

• Like 7

Posted
5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Glad you are on the mend.More heavy hail and snow showers here this afternoon and currently snowing and 1c

Going to be controversial again and suggest that we seem to have had more defined seasons since last summer and this spring in particular takes me back to my childhood in the sixties here where springs were always late and snow quite often seen in April and early May. I am putting it down to lack of aircraft pollution and also ground based vehicle pollution in the last year allowing our climate to reset itself a bit.We have also lost the brown ring of polluition at the edge of our atmosphere just liked happened after 9/11 allowing more heat to be radiated to space in the northern hemisphere winter perhaps. Its just my opinion and I maybe very wrong but its nice to see again.

Fields white again after last shower20210409_134935.thumb.jpg.33592b4d66fb7ef74495e429427ecd63.jpg

Poor visibility as another shower piles in from the Firth.20210409_140621.thumb.jpg.0623ff4f9ae69afad810a9fa6de7ce4b.jpg

The amount of clear skies this last year has been very notable, especially last Spring. Lack of air pollution a key factor I imagaine. Tonight is superb - clear skies beautiful!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

There's been some impressively heavy snow showers since mid afternoon, and despite being over quickly they have turned the ground white. Areas in the sun have quickly cleared but in the shade the snow has been hanging on. In most years, mid winter, it would have been a notable few days. After this winter, and into April when we'd rather it was warming up, it's been more of an irritation.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Another gorgeous sunny morning here, sun blasting in the back windows. Nice walk yesterday round Jedburgh - does anybody know what kind if tree this is? It's lovely. The cream house has initials and the date 1609 above the door.

JED TREE.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

A low of -3.4deg/C here overnight which is a decent frost for winter never mind spring...interesting weather.

Fingers crossed for beautiful sunny day oh wait the Met Office weather is showing snow for later on...the snaw shovel oot again..???

Single digit temperature max till Tuesday then things looking to warm up a bit.

Capture.thumb.JPG.5e2922c2bc3f14e3dd6954349d4f5ce2.JPG

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

A beautiful day so far with big, white clouds and big, blue spaces in-between. Meanwhile, up the road, the good people of the council scheme are honouring the passing of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh with a 41 sawn-off shotgun salute. Or it's another gang fight, but, as I don't hear police sirens or the helicopter, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Temperature currently 7.5deg.C (max for the day so far) up from a minimum of -5.8deg.C at 06:22, humidity is 50%, wind is 0 to 2mph north-northeasterly, pressure is 1019.3hPa steady, there's been 0.2mm of rain today / last 24 hours, cloud cover is 5/8 and the dew point is at -3deg.C.

I'm about to go for a walk round the village, once I find my flak jacket; they don't have blanks up the road.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer
14 hours ago, Quinach said:

Another proper winter day with a max of just 3.9c, generally light NNW winds and potent snow showers, especially from mid afternoon onwards.

Currently -2.1c and everything is white outside after a recent snow shower.

Amazing to think that there have been more days of lying snow this week than there were in total in recent winters.

You do rue though about what could have happened with these weather synoptics in January rather than now.  The intensity of the sun makes short work of the snow exposed to it (was a bit surreal sitting in a greenhouse at 25c watching the snow falling outside).

Couple of impressively heavy showers around teatime, unusual to be able to take these kinds of photos with falling snow and the sun high in the sky.

snow.thumb.jpg.7552d13e860c6948111ad4dbf1a25a68.jpg

snow1.thumb.jpg.ba8391ad80c94ea57f0a554b6b2fffd9.jpg

Enough to cover the garden..

snow2.thumb.jpg.55dcd2ef6b0a34d1084c2c0a473435dd.jpg

More showers incoming in the late evening..

snow3.thumb.jpg.cf3aa94771fd586e0e4c27fa7ae0984b.jpg

snow4.thumb.jpg.46c2710b8d4a0b11ced48cbfa333ad0f.jpg

Fantastic pics 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Have seen a couple of good photos of snow in the Outer Hebridies this morning. Here are a couple courtesy if Western Isles Weather.

Here after a bright frosty start(-1.6C) some cloud has come down and there have been a few flakes of something floating down. Radar shows some heavier stuff near by but looking like a hit or miss situation. Way out for a walk up in the Sidlaws shortly so will know soon enough.

00E1291A-FFD5-4BA8-8C0A-622584725C1B.png

2ECC8E78-E492-4F68-9295-DBB7EF135119.jpeg

edit. Here also is my cousins garden in Stornoway this morning. And not quite weather related

BC43070A-9215-4515-BF19-63E8CC763385.png

4288EF1B-178A-4EE7-9840-34115AB1F276.png

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
56 minutes ago, Puffy MacCloud said:

A beautiful day so far with big, white clouds and big, blue spaces in-between. Meanwhile, up the road, the good people of the council scheme are honouring the passing of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh with a 41 sawn-off shotgun salute. Or it's another gang fight, but, as I don't hear police sirens or the helicopter, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Puffy, if I see much more on tv about PP then I think I'll get a sawn off shotgun and end meself with it!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Couple of light snow showers here this morning, not lying but it's still the latest I can remember falling snow here in a long time.

• Like 5