Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - March 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

'Twas a busy week. Wednesday and Thursday was spent cleaning daughter's flat in Glasgow, (overlooking Kelvingrove Park, very nice, but 4th floor and me with my lungs!) then on Friday she got the keys to the farm up in the hills above Uplawmoor, and it snowed. Weekend spent cleaning new house and introducing ourselves to the ground maintenance team and looking, in vain, for the ducks and chickens. Furniture delivered from storage yesterday so now beginning to look like a home. Getting furniture lorry up the drive was fun. I'm now resting at home in a darkened room.

Temperature maxed out at 12.8deg.C at 02:17 with a minimum of 11.8deg.C at 06:58, it's currently 12.7deg.C, humidity is 89%, wind 4 to 14mph south-southwesterly with a maximum gust of 25mph at 02:14, pressure is 1016.1 rising briskly, there's been 2.8mm of rain since midnight and 9.4mm in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 8/8 so it's dull and damp right now.

Farm 1.jpg

Farm 2.jpg

Farm 3a.jpg

Sheeps 1.jpg

Sheeps 2.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

What could be a beautiful warm day being ruined by the strong wind that has been blowing for days now! 16c but feeling much, much cooler! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
1 hour ago, shuggee said:

Has anyone seen lambs gamboling around the countryside yet? Feels late this year, and still not seen one despite seeing an average of 200 sheep per minute out of the window.

A

We were saying that too the other day. Wondering if the farmers cut back on the lambing this year because of the Brexit nightmare?

• Like 7

Posted
19 minutes ago, mardatha said:

We were saying that too the other day. Wondering if the farmers cut back on the lambing this year because of the Brexit nightmare?

I think all livestock numbers are back a bit this year but a lot of sheep are bought in to lamb and then turned out with their lambs  24 hours later so may still be inside waiting to lamb.Sheep were always thought to be most at risk of price collapse with loss of French market but instead are surging to record levels . Cattle are fairly strong too.My own theorey is that since  the UK has irritated most  of the world with  its behaviour we are the last place they will sell food too.Lots of Australian  and New Zealand meat is heading for China these days .We are only 60% self sufficient in food and have to import the rest. I think the story this year will be one of rising food prices as grain has firmed in price since the New Year.Milk / pigs and poultry are not so strong  for various reasons less hospitality .less cheese exports and bigger production units in UK to supply  markets. Its all about supply and demand.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Car showed 17C not long ago as I was approaching Alford, coming home from work in Westhill. Very strong wind though, a warm wind, but still making it feel less pleasant that it otherwise should be. Not looking forward to chilly Easter hols. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
3 hours ago, shuggee said:

13.2C here and yes, felling mild despite that wind. Tomatoes now over an inch high in their pots on the window sill.

Has anyone seen lambs gamboling around the countryside yet? Feels late this year, and still not seen one despite seeing an average of 200 sheep per minute out of the window.

And here's a quick shot from a walk in the torrential rain yesterday afternoon - can see it it was that heavy!

PXL_20210328_141226789.jpg

Lots! Didn’t realise there was a shortage otherwise i’d have taken pics of some. They’re getting much bigger now

Very wet start to the day here, now cloudy and 12c. Not seen a glimpse of the sun in several days...

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

I think all livestock numbers are back a bit this year but a lot of sheep are bought in to lamb and then turned out with their lambs  24 hours later so may still be inside waiting to lamb.Sheep were always thought to be most at risk of price collapse with loss of French market but instead are surging to record levels . Cattle are fairly strong too.My own theorey is that since  the UK has irritated most  of the world with  its behaviour we are the last place they will sell food too.Lots of Australian  and New Zealand meat is heading for China these days .We are only 60% self sufficient in food and have to import the rest. I think the story this year will be one of rising food prices as grain has firmed in price since the New Year.Milk / pigs and poultry are not so strong  for various reasons less hospitality .less cheese exports and bigger production units in UK to supply  markets. Its all about supply and demand.

Its good to see lamb producers getting some good prices as in some recent years prices have been very poor.

• Like 7

Posted

Bar the stiff and gusty SW wind, a good summer's day.

Managed a max of 19.1c, which is good going in July, let alone March.

Pity the cloud rolled in late morning (even some spits of rain out of that over the afternoon) otherwise I could have seen us break to 20c mark here today.

It's great to be able to get back to 7pm walks in sunshine...

sky.thumb.jpg.6042878af8d834a51b05b43558dae5ee.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Had a bit of sun at the crack of dawn (quickly clouded in) although it is trying to come back out again. Wind nowhere near as strong as it was yesterday

• Like 4

Posted

Miserable morning with gale force gusts and dust blowing into your eyes with every step you take. I believe its  been fairly wet on the Black Isle  with no farmers able to sow these past few days.We can see the cloud and rain from here while we have mostly sunny skies.Currently 14c. Won"t be sowing grass seed in this wind.

l

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
38 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Miserable morning with gale force gusts and dust blowing into your eyes with every step you take. I believe its  been fairly wet on the Black Isle  with no farmers able to sow these past few days.We can see the cloud and rain from here while we have mostly sunny skies.Currently 14c. Won"t be sowing grass seed in this wind.

l

Yep, there's been some rain. Looks like a fair bit coming in this evening through till tomorrow too.

A question for you... there's a big field towards Cromarty that I'm pretty sure had carrots in in the autumn, and I was thinking, they'll be lifted soon. Anyway we drove past for the first time in several months at the weekend and it looks like straw has been put down over plastic sheeting.  Might the carrots still be under here, or did I just dream the whole thing up while experimenting with dihydrocodeine a few weeks ago?

Going to take my chair out for a few minutes soon as the weather is about to turn poor for a while. Usual poor timing, the damson tree will be flowering soon. Ah well.

• Like 5

Posted

Straw on top of plastic sheeting will protect from frost and keep them in suspended animation until at least late June when if not lifted  and new season English carrots available will then have plastic removed and straw and remaining carrots rotovated.This all in the name of supplying carrots to supermarkets for almost 12 months of the year.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not a bad morning in that it's been dry, only moderately breezy and although there are some beefy clouds about it's well broken to the south, which is allowing a fair amount of sunshine through.

Temperature 14.8deg.C up from a minimum of 10.7deg.C at 07:44, humidity is 71%, wind 2 to 6mph south-southwesterly with a maximum gust of 14mph at 12:36, pressure is 1025.1hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 6/8.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Much brighter day with some sunshine. Briefly hit 13c before falling back

Not quite getting the warm weather London is having but up to 15c tomorrow down here so we’re slowly getting there. If we do get a cold blast then I hope it’s of the extreme variety otherwise I don’t want to know. 

5c, cloudy with a cold wind is useless

• Like 6

Posted

Decent day but not a huge amount of sun. Pleasant though at about 15c with that stiff breeze finally easing off! Charts appear to be showing something potentially wintry after Easter. Not unusual for the time of year (I'm ignoring charts showing -20c 850's over Scotland for now ) but got me thinking back to April 2018. A good few days for many on the thread. Great fun reading back through the posts

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Not as warm as yesterday with a max of 14.3c, but still very acceptable.

Not much in the way of sunshine, but it was dry and the nagging wind of the last few days stayed away for the most part.

Some interesting striated cloud formations in the evening to round of the day.

image.thumb.png.167d11e8da02d0d98b9520330da47319.png

image.thumb.png.6b1bd2447f73f78e82ed05ba0ab414c2.png

• Like 7

Posted

Really miserable morning here with fresh NE wind off the Firth driving moderate rain onshore. Good job most of the sowing is done Currently 6.5c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted

Stayed cloudy all day yesterday last night cleared then as soon as the new day's broken the cloud's filled in again. Not cold by any stretch of the imagination and wind's fallen further today just this stubborn cloud not clearing

• Like 4

Posted

Rain has eased but cold now at 5c. Winter has returned.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted

The temperature rose to 15.1deg.C yesterday in almost constant sunshine here. Not quite up to that today.

Maximum temperature so far was 14.5deg.C at 13:56 and the minimum was 5.2deg.C at 04:47, current humidity is 75%, wind is 0 to 2mph and swinging from southerly through westerly towards northerly, pressure is 1021.9hPa steady, there's been no rain in the last 24 hours and cloud cover is 7/8.

• Like 3

Posted

That rain isn't far away although does seem to be weakening a bit. Hopefully all clear and might actually see the sun tomorrow

• Like 3

Posted

Grey, misty, drizzly pish and 7c! Add in the breeze and it feels more like 2-3c! Crap! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 5