Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
1 hour ago, Simon M said:

Already got fans running, and a mini ac unit too.  Still uncomfortable, and I still have to go out from time-to-time, like everybody else.  And yes, I'd say anything above 20 is uncomfortable for me.  I do apologise!

It's not the dark ages, it's the 21st century, there's plenty you can do to mitigate the effects of dark, cold weather.  Wear thicker clothes, turn the heating up, hell there are even lightbulbs that emit light in a sun-like spectrum to mitigate the effects of winter light levels for SAD sufferers.

Not really. The long dark evenings between late September until early April are quite trying on the majority of people.

The immune system is much weaker during the darker months, hence the reason why people get colds more often during the autumn, winter and early spring. 

That’s why the current weather makes most of us feel happy and more positive. It doesn’t last forever, and before you know it the autumn comes round again. So, people should be able to enjoy the sunny hot weather when it’s in short supply on our island.

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

It is only May! air still quite cool

And even cooler due to the colder winter and cold spring this year. 

You are right though, even last May had lots of cool nights, same as 2018.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

And even cooler due to the colder winter and cold spring this year. 

You are right though, even last May had lots of cool nights, same as 2018.

I believe there are only a couple of weeks in high summer that air frosts have never been recorded somewhere in Britain [usually a Scottish glen]

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, Simon M said:

Already got fans running, and a mini ac unit too.  Still uncomfortable, and I still have to go out from time-to-time, like everybody else.  And yes, I'd say anything above 20 is uncomfortable for me.  I do apologise!

It's not the dark ages, it's the 21st century, there's plenty you can do to mitigate the effects of dark, cold weather.  Wear thicker clothes, turn the heating up, hell there are even lightbulbs that emit light in a sun-like spectrum to mitigate the effects of winter light levels for SAD sufferers.

Yeah - I’ve got plenty of cold weather clothing. It doesn’t really get me depressed or anything or ruin my life to that extent, but as I said at least the warmer weather you so despise is only a few months. The darkness and cold weather is a much bigger portion of the year! Just means less golf, less barbecues and all the other nice stuff that you can enjoy in the summer. I played a fair bit of golf over last winter, and you get through it more than enjoy it. If it’s 3c outside then it’s gonna be a cold 4 hours!l walking!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite a pleasant day here, reached 19°C with some nice sunny spells and passing clouds, with the vile, seemingly ever-present cold wind going awol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Can't speak for the whole of the UK, but in my neck of the woods the warmest day this spring was in March. The weather enthusiast part of me is really happy about this. 

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Can't speak for the whole of the UK, but in my neck of the woods the warmest day this spring was in March. The weather enthusiast part of me is really happy about this. 

Yes agreed. The difference was back in March the winds were kinder coming up from the SW. It just felt warmer. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Not really. The long dark evenings between late September until early April are quite trying on the majority of people.

The immune system is much weaker during the darker months, hence the reason why people get colds more often during the autumn, winter and early spring. 

That’s why the current weather makes most of us feel happy and more positive. It doesn’t last forever, and before you know it the autumn comes round again. So, people should be able to enjoy the sunny hot weather when it’s in short supply on our island.

This is the best time of year in my opinion, the summer lies ahead, we are nearing maximum light levels.. wish we could bag it and let it infiltrate us all in January and February... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, hillbilly said:

I believe there are only a couple of weeks in high summer that air frosts have never been recorded somewhere in Britain [usually a Scottish glen]

Incredible.

Posted
12 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

This is the best time of year in my opinion, the summer lies ahead, we are nearing maximum light levels.. wish we could bag it and let it infiltrate us all in January and February... 

I agree. You can get nice weather in September but the Sun isn’t as strong then and the nights are rapidly drawing in and the mornings are colder. There is also that feeling of dread in September that this is going to be the last spell of warm weather for the next six months or so.

Posted
17 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes agreed. The difference was back in March the winds were kinder coming up from the SW. It just felt warmer. 

Winds have been fairly light here. This spell of weather has felt warmer here than at the end of March, due to the stronger Sun. i’m not near the east coast though.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

They don’t go to Spain. They spend their holidays in Orkney. 

To be honest the way they go on about how awfully hot the English summers are I don’t understand why they don’t move up to bloody Orkney, the average daytime “summer” temp there is only 14/15°C. They’d be right at home up there!

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

As for the cool evenings, the wind has got up now and it got a bit chilly sitting outside in my shorts and t-shirt this evening. Got my bedroom window open so hopefully a nice cool night for sleeping ahead.

Posted
4 hours ago, Simon M said:

Well if it’s still not cool enough then your only solution is to get a tent and sleep outside in the garden... Seriously. Or just invest in a better AC unit.

yes I agree, it isn’t the dark ages...  Which is why there is plenty you can do to mitigate the effects of light, warm weather. Wear lighter moisture wicking clothes, open the windows, turn the AC up, hell there are even these things called blackout curtains that block all sunlight to mitigate the effects of summer light levels for reverse SAD sufferers.

Posted
13 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

To be honest the way they go on about how awfully hot the English summers are I don’t understand why they don’t move up to bloody Orkney, the average daytime “summer” temp there is only 14/15°C. They’d be right at home!

No, they still a fan if it’s 15c lol.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

No, they still a fan if it’s 15c lol.

Greenland then.

Posted

I know we’re all different but my idea of an ideal summer is one which predominantly contains lots of dry sunny weather with daytime temps between 20 and 23°, low humidity, gentle cooling breezes, cooling off to 10 to 13° at night. With the odd thunderstorm chucked in for interest and excitement.

I’m sure most people would be happy with a summer like that.

Posted
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I know we’re all different but my idea of an ideal summer is one which predominantly contains lots of dry sunny weather with daytime temps between 20 and 23°, low humidity, gentle cooling breezes, cooling off to 10 to 13° at night. With the odd thunderstorm chucked in for interest and excitement.

I’m sure most people would be happy with a summer like that.

I would say somewhere between 22c to 27c, as 25-27c usually is hot enough to produce a thunderstorm.

21c often seems a bit chilly between June and august, if there’s no sun. 

Warm dry sunny weather with low humidity is perfect though.

• Like 2

Posted

Anyway, happy first day of summer everyone, the best season of the year! ?

I guess someone is going to lock this thread now, and create a new summer thread for summer 2021. Let’s hope it’s a good’un (and by good I mean, you know, lots of reliable dry sunny but not too hot weather.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

But moaning before there has been any seems a bit pointless? Nothing remotely hot, as yet...

But that's exactly what happens in late October/ early November, just change one word..."Nothing remotely cold, as yet...." 

We all differ, thankfully!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
32 minutes ago, markyo said:

But that's exactly what happens in late October/ early November, just change one word..."Nothing remotely cold, as yet...." 

We all differ, thankfully!

We do, which I agree is good. I still don’t get moaning about something before it even happens. Total waste of energy and time, especially in a country where hot weather isn’t the norm. Anyway, I’ll shut up now.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Already 21C here, not bad considering just 3 days ago we hadn't recorded 21C all year.... 

Same here, south coastal locations warm up very quickly and then flatline around midday. Shame really.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like it could be hottest day of the year today and then again tomorrow. Forecast high of 24C today.

Posted
11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Anyway, happy first day of summer everyone, the best season of the year! ?

I guess someone is going to lock this thread now, and create a new summer thread for summer 2021. Let’s hope it’s a good’un (and by good I mean, you know, lots of reliable dry sunny but not too hot weather.)

There's been a summer thread for ages. Its just people decide to clog up the spring thread with summer discussion.

• Like 1