Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

But, you seem to bait people a lot more when the weather is damp and cold, which is like someone else said above, between October and April. 

The damp and cold conditions have prevailed for a longer period during 2021, so I think it’s now the turn for the warm sunny folk to enjoy this much needed weather.

April was nice and sunny yes, before you say anything, but it was still cold in the shade or even in the sun. The windchill also is something that makes this country cold during the damp cloudy spells. Even in high summer 17-19c, or 21c will feel on the cool side if accompanied by cloud and wind.

I think I speak for most people on here, that nobody wants a week of 33-35c, but most will be happy with 24-28c for it to be comfortably warm or hot, and warm enough to enjoy the outdoors into the evenings, without having to put a jacket on.

Talk for yourself, the hotter the better. Would happily have 35c for all three months of summer. I’m comfortable with that, I know not everyone is though. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Talk for yourself, the hotter the better. Would happily have 35c for all three months of summer. I’m comfortable with that, I know not everyone is though. 

I don’t mind the heat actually, but London can be quite uncomfortable once it reaches or tops 30c. 

However, I would still tolerate it, as we have to put up with cold damp conditions of 5 to 14c throughout most of the year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol it’s only just started. My flat still feels cold in the evenings, as it’s north facing.

A few days touching 21c and people are moaning already lol.

It's a moans thread, among other things.  I hate warm weather, I dislike the sun.  Why is that "wrong"?

• Like 1

Posted

I must say, with it only being 21c here it feels very warm, maybe I've been accustomed to the cool weather we've been having recently. Would rather prefer mid teens or thunderstorms tbh.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

20-21c? Really? I know some folk don’t like hot weather, but 21c isn’t even hot buy a fan or a/c if it’s a life ruiner. It’s not the dark ages, there’s plenty you can do to mitigate the warmer weather if it’s not your thing.

Already got fans running, and a mini ac unit too.  Still uncomfortable, and I still have to go out from time-to-time, like everybody else.  And yes, I'd say anything above 20 is uncomfortable for me.  I do apologise!

3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

At least you only have to endure maybe 4 months max of it, people like me who aren’t a big fan of winter and the dark have to put up with 8 months of cack weather in this country!

It's not the dark ages, it's the 21st century, there's plenty you can do to mitigate the effects of dark, cold weather.  Wear thicker clothes, turn the heating up, hell there are even lightbulbs that emit light in a sun-like spectrum to mitigate the effects of winter light levels for SAD sufferers.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I'm in the middle of the great heat/cold debate in that I like it warm but not oven hot. Obviously we all have our own preferences, but to me a month of dull <20 °C and a month of blazing >30 °C are both pretty offputting thoughts. Today (21.5 °C, light breeze, masses of sun) has been close to ideal for me. Incidentally, that max means my own local spring 2021 high will remain the 21.9 °C I recorded back on 31st March.

Edited by Arctic Hare
typo
  • Like 4

Posted

I was sat inside the pub watching the League 2 play off final (congratulations Morecambe by the way). They had the door open to the beer garden in the back and the breeze was coming inside. I can honestly say my feet and hands were like ice.  It's the coldest heatwave I can remember

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Why does this have to happen every single year? It's virtually the same members embroiled in a heat vs cold argument.

This thread was originally set up as a side thread to moan about the weather models themselves. Somehow, it has morphed?! 

Anyway, if these silly little squabbles continue, then some might find themselves sat outside, looking in through the window.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Another lovely day, reached 22°C according to my phone, and with pretty much wall to wall sunshine. A bit more cloud now but still very pleasant outside. ? A nice opportunity to get some vitamin D and a tan after 4 weeks of cloud and rain.

Posted
19 hours ago, B87 said:

Reached 21.6c with mostly sunny skies today, the exact long term average for June. It actually felt hot at times after the last 8 weeks of well below average rubbish.

Forecast looks like typical late July temps for the forseeable future, 23-27c. A good start to set about undoing the damage that April and May have done to the annual average.

Forecast to to be around 19-21°C where I am which is typical July temps here. Will feel very pleasant in the sun.

Now Waiting for the first person to moan that it's too hot! I can guess who it will be....

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Reminded me of early June 2010 for some reason, yesterday

Yes it has that June 2010 feel about it, what with the dry sunny warm but not baking hot weather. I personally predict we are going to get a summer like 2010, a warm, dry and sunny June, a wet July with some thunderstorms and torrential downpours, and a cool and cloudy August. In other words a front loaded summer. I have been watching gavsweathervids summer updates on youtube (I'd recommend chcecking out his videos if you haven't already, they're really good) and the anologues (looking at past years with similar pattern) seem to favour a poor summer overall and also a front loaded summer. 

Posted
11 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

As expected today, horrible start, thick north sea filth, would like to see the end of the E'lys, anything with wind east of south, not much good here

It's very odd that you get North Sea fog so far away from the east coast.

Posted
6 hours ago, Simon M said:

I despise this weather.  My bedroom is already getting uncomfortably warm and there seems to be no end in sight to this.  The only crumb of comfort is we are already within a few weeks of the longest day and the nights will start drawing in again within less than a month.

I was too late! First moan of the summer already! (I know it's technically still spring for a few hours, but...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, markyo said:

I know what you mean, this is near max to what i feel is comfortable, much hotter and it at first becomes annoying then as the temp creeps towards 30c for me it effects my quality of life, ie sleep and work. Ignore the folk who say your moaning, we all feel the weather differently, one persons hot is another's cool and visa versa.  This thread has a specific title for a reason, they seem to forget this.

I understand moaning about a specific weather type, once there has been some of it to experience. But moaning before there has been any seems a bit pointless? Nothing remotely hot, as yet...

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

Actual lol, the west midlands is pretty much the coolest place in the country due to the cloud, temps barely out the mid teens in places. 

Is West Midlands normally cool and cloudy in summer or just in this setup?

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol it’s only just started. My flat still feels cold in the evenings, as it’s north facing.

A few days touching 21c and people are moaning already lol.

Dread to think how these people would manage in summer in Spain lol. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Britneyfan said:

The March high for spring has been broken and still an hour of heating possible, and on the very last day of spring 

Pity really because it would have been a nice anomaly to have the warmest day of the spring in March, I wonder when that last happened?

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This current period of weather is fairly benign and certainly nothing out of the ordinary for the time of year. It's warm, but not THAT warm. It certainly isn't heatwave warm like some people and the newspapers are making it out to be.

Exactly it just feels warm after four weeks of cold damp weather. These conditions were very normal last spring.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I understand moaning about a specific weather type, once there has been some of it to experience. But moaning before there has been any seems a bit pointless? Nothing remotely hot, as yet...

Yeah I know. It’s the same group of people who seem to lose their minds when the temp exceeds 21c.

Its lovely out there, and even better now it’s hit 24-25. I was able to wear a light jacket the last few evenings, because the temp still drops off quickly. Not a grumble really, but my hands become cold when the temp drops to low teens. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Dread to think how these people would manage in summer in Spain lol. 

They don’t go to Spain. They spend their holidays in Orkney. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
49 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes it has that June 2010 feel about it, what with the dry sunny warm but not baking hot weather. I personally predict we are going to get a summer like 2010, a warm, dry and sunny June, a wet July with some thunderstorms and torrential downpours, and a cool and cloudy August. In other words a front loaded summer. I have been watching gavsweathervids summer updates on youtube (I'd recommend chcecking out his videos if you haven't already, they're really good) and the anologues (looking at past years with similar pattern) seem to favour a poor summer overall and also a front loaded summer. 

I'd take a 2010 summer if we have the December that followed it..

You mention Gavin Partridge, and he refers to the winter just gone as a 'teaser winter'.  And yes, have to admit the summers that follow these tend to be average to poor.

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I was sat inside the pub watching the League 2 play off final (congratulations Morecambe by the way). They had the door open to the beer garden in the back and the breeze was coming inside. I can honestly say my feet and hands were like ice.  It's the coldest heatwave I can remember

I understand this completely. You can still feel cold if sat in the shade combined with a cool breeze. The air will be warming up quite soon to the point it will feel warm in shadowy spots. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
20 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Pity really because it would have been a nice anomaly to have the warmest day of the spring in March, I wonder when that last happened?

I dont think it has happened before on a National level but has been very close.On a local level however in 1965 in Whitby,March not only recorded its hottest Spring day but also the hottest day of the Entire year at 25 deg!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1