Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
16 hours ago, IanR said:

Maybe Bill Gates plan of reducing sunlight to combat global warming has been going on ,  on the hush ,  I am not one for conspiracy theories mind 

It really does feel like what a nuclear winter would be like during summer months      

When I first heard about that I didn't believe it. Sounds like something from The Simpsons where Mr Burns blocked out the Sun with his sunblocker machine or they put a giant glass done over Springfield.  I do remember last spring though there were much fewer aeroplane contrails in the sky which can block out the sun on a sunny day. I have heard about weather manipulation with the HARRP program but myself I just cannot believe they can manipulate the weather that much just using aeroplanes.  I remember watching a video on YouTube over a year ago, it was a woman saying that storm Dennis and storm Kierra were both my man made storms. I'm sorry but I just cannot believe that technology is so advanced that we can now create entire storm systems now!  Anyway that's enough from me as I don't want to take the thread off topic. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
24 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Really? I thought central and Eastern Europe were doing quite well this Spring and it was just northern and Western Europe that were doing badly.  Guess I was wrong. I remember you saying it was bad in Prague last spring as well when it was cracking the flags in the UK. 

It’s been one of the coldest springs ever recorded here. Relentlessly below average temperatures for all 3 months with plenty of cloud and wet weather. Last year we had a very sunny April like the UK also had, but May was poor, before summer weather arrived suddenly on June 1st. Hoping for the same, this year! Today, it’s chucking it down, blowing a hoolie yet again and 12°C, it’s actually starting to get me down now.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

It almost feels like March 30th was a different year it was so long ago... the only day so far I’ve comfortably worn a tee shirt outside. 

I remember there was a day or two in April it was about 16° and sunny and I wore shorts and a T-shirt outside. Haven't been able to do that much though this year unlike last spring when I was out Sunbathing every other day.

Posted
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s been one of the coldest springs ever recorded here. Relentlessly below average temperatures for all 3 months with plenty of cloud and wet weather. Last year we had a very sunny April like the UK also had, but May was poor, before summer weather arrived suddenly on June 1st. Hoping for the same, this year! Today, it’s chucking it down, blowing a hoolie yet again and 12°C, it’s actually starting to get me down now.

Been miserable here too. Not got above 15°C this month, with showers most days and sunshine below average. It I was currently about 12°C and overcast here, but dry and wind not too bad.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I remember there was a day or two in April it was about 16° and sunny and I wore shorts and a T-shirt outside. Haven't been able to do that much though this year unlike last spring when I was out Sunbathing every other day.

Yes true. Had a week of sunny and less chilly weather down here too which I sat outside in. It was just a shame to have a brisk northeast wind with it.

Posted

13.4c today may aswell stay low now we ve gone this far in the month,a few cold nights to come to compensate for the warmer days coming up,which I ll believe it when I see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

That GFS is my idea of summer perfection! Warm days and cool nights. Yes please!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Not much to say other than, I'm liking that the temps are on thge rise!

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Today has had more of the 'average' feel to it. Apart from the one off humid day on the  9th, its the first day this month to feel that way.  Definitely liking the forecast of warmer weather, only hope for interests sake it doesn't exceed 24.4 so we can say the highest temp was in March.  

On 1st June it can go as high as it wants please!

• Like 2

Posted

Weather wise, it’s probably been the most depressing month I can remember. Such good news that we’re going to get some sunshiiiiiine and warmer temperatures. Just in time for the bank holiday and half term. Some great cycling and running weather. 

If it sets in for longer even better. ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, HellItsHot said:

Weather wise, it’s probably been the most depressing month I can remember. Such good news that we’re going to get some sunshiiiiiine and warmer temperatures. Just in time for the bank holiday and half term. Some great cycling and running weather. 

If it sets in for longer even better. ??

It's no' been great, but, rest assured, it has happened before: 1975, '79, '83, '89 et. al. all had rubbish Mays. But, three of them went on to be pretty good, if not exceptional, summers!  image.thumb.png.bbba1c89ec04992ed5744e01eedee31f.png 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It's no' been great, but, rest assured, it has happened before: 1975, '79, '83, '89 et. al. all had rubbish Mays. But, three of them went on to be pretty good, if not exceptional, summers!  image.thumb.png.bbba1c89ec04992ed5744e01eedee31f.png 

May 1989 was one of the best on record. You must be getting mixed up with another year. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
41 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I remember 1989 being pretty good here, but yes I think the other 3 were poor.

Conversely some good mays have gone on to produce poor summers e.g. 1992 (although june was ok), 1998, 2004 (v poor july), 2012 to some degree, and last year.

In fact, 1947 and 2018 I  believe were the only times that really good mays and a good summer have combined.  Il stand corrected, but it seems they don't happen often

And the only poor may and summer combo is 2007 that I can think of

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Somewhat annoyingly, I think BH Monday will be the warmest day of spring. This May doesn't deserve to have that accolade! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
43 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Conversely some good mays have gone on to produce poor summers e.g. 1992 (although june was ok), 1998, 2004 (v poor july), 2012 to some degree, and last year.

In fact, 1947 and 2018 I  believe were the only times that really good mays and a good summer have combined.  Il stand corrected, but it seems they don't happen often

1989 had an excellent May and a good summer as well.

1991 had a poor May and summer (even if August was decent, it wasn't enough to undo the first 6 weeks of that summer).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, B87 said:

1989 had an excellent May and a good summer as well.

1991 had a poor May and summer (even if August was decent, it wasn't enough to undo the first 6 weeks of that summer).

Aye, right enough, you guys are quite right. I was getting May mixed up with April!

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Finally some decent temps on the way, and it looks like the rain will be taking a break for at least a few days also... meaning I can finally cut my long grass and remove all the pesky weeds.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SummerShower said:

2002, 2011 and 2015 also fit that bill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

2002, 2011 and 2015 also fit that bill.

I thought May 2011 was a decent one? In London at least, an average max of 19.4c (1c above the 91-20 average) and 241 hours of sun.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Not quite on a level with 47 and 18, but I would include 89, very good May followed by excellent summer.

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

I thought May 2011 was a decent one? In London at least, an average max of 19.4c (1c above the 91-20 average) and 241 hours of sun.

It was very westerly after the first week, so I think the further southeast one was, the better. I lived in Egham then, so am quite surprised to learn of the sunshine figures as I can only remember cloudy breezy albeit mainly dry weather. Main features of that month for me were the brief plume and thunderstorms on the 06th/07th, a notable windy period 20th-23rd and I remember a thunderstorm later in the month one afternoon in Egham where I got soaked walking back from the gym lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
10 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Some large thundery outbreaks in some of those years, too. Warmth and big storms, here’s hoping

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

How did 79 pan out? I know it’s one of the poorer summers from the 1977-88 period, but didn’t that summer have some hot weather?

I actually remember 1989, and May that year was very warm and sunny. It was also hot and thundery during my birthday, which is the 24th. Think we had a massive thunderstorm overnight in London on a Thursday. It kept me awake, and remember it feeling too warm to sleep. 

Felt tired the next day at school, but it was a Friday, and sleep deprivation didn’t bother me at 13 lol. 

Edited by Sunny76

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Some large thundery outbreaks in some of those years, too. Warmth and big storms, here’s hoping

I think the stormy summers seem to come about when there’s been more cold lingering into spring. I think we will get a thundery summer, maybe a return to some classics we had around 2016-2018. 

• Like 1