Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
9 hours ago, B87 said:

Backtracked to continued poor conditions for the time of year. Feels like it will never warm up. Average won't be good enough after this 8 week cold spell.

CYVNRrT.png

Don't take Weatheronline's forecasts as gospel.

They seem to be almost entirely based on the GFS and therefore swing wildly after each run.

I enjoy looking at them when hot charts are being shown in FI- very high temps are often shown way out that you know in reality are unlikely to happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
11 hours ago, Britneyfan said:

Okay so my spring highs in south Essex 

March: 23°

April: 17° 

May: 21° 

I suppose could be worse, at least 2 days 20 or above

In this area both 1986 and 1987average highs for the months May,June,July and August combined was less than 17 deg!

Posted

I love the BBC monthly outlook. for 2 weeks it was saying warming up later. Now for the last week and half its been saying cooler and wetter.. They have no idea. so they mention Theres 35% of this happening and  26% of that happening.. 

the site weather outlook went for a warmer than average spring we know how that turned out.. Long range forecasting in the UK is pointless. 

So for summer. I will say theres 86% chance of rain. one day.. and one day theres a 16% of it reaching 30c..or is that 18%?? I dunno  will have to look at my models again 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
13 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

BBC Weather news 24 which comes on at 21:55 and ends up with an outlook just said there is 'just a hint' of something better coming along next Thursday (27th) but it is still a 'long way off'. Well that really filled me with deep joy. As for today the only good thing was the sky changed from a dark grey to a light grey as the day wore on during relentless rain. 

Today worse here with Cheshire Gap flow, wettest setup for Staffs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Back in Prague and the weather isn’t that great here, either. A few passing showers earlier and some sunny spells this afternoon, but the bloody howling wind just won’t give up. Sick to the back teeth of it, and despite it scraping 16°C, it feels more like 10°C. 

Posted
40 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Back in Prague and the weather isn’t that great here, either. A few passing showers earlier and some sunny spells this afternoon, but the bloody howling wind just won’t give up. Sick to the back teeth of it, and despite it scraping 16°C, it feels more like 10°C. 

Think yourself fortunate to get 16c! Almost unbroken sunshine in West Wiltshire since 13.00 in late May and a maximum of 14.2c!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Think yourself fortunate to get 16c! Almost unbroken sunshine in West Wiltshire since 13.00 in late May and a maximum of 14.2c!

A 14.2°C maximum is pretty bad for S England in late May, so I feel for you. 16°C is 2°C below average here but in the sun it wouldn’t feel too awful, if that howling wind would ever give up. So over it! Need some nice sunny, warm and calm days now to offset the long, cold spring.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Just been out for a meal for the first time since lockdown and there was a woman with a massive 80s perm sat on a table  nearby.  With the weather the way it is I thought I was literally back in May 1984 for a while there..

Edited by SummerShower

Posted
30 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Just been out for a meal for the first time since lockdown and there was a woman with a massive 80s perm sat on a table  nearby.  With the weather the way it is I thought I was literally back in May 1984 for a while there..

Surely it wasn't Bonny Tyler? 

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Here you go then! Lol

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

A colder may than the 1980s is on the cards.

2021 is colder than most of 1980s yes.

The only May I remember feeling just as cold would probably be 1996 and 2013 as a possible second. 

1984 looks cold by the stats, but I still remember a warm couple of days during the last week of May.

1980 had some hot days in the middle of May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

Just checked my forecast and from Friday i could be looking at high teens low twenties, and after all this cool weather it’s going to feel warm! South Essex anyway 

Here’s hoping, I’m off to Hastings for one night. I’ll take even a 19-21c with sunshine and no breeze. It would feel warm enough to enjoy the outdoors by the sea or elsewhere. That said, we will need to see some mid 20s weather soon.

Posted

The crud continues here, 15°C and overcast. Thought the wind had finally abated this morning but no, it’s gusting again this afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Not as bad a day as forecast so far in Horsham, but still feels like a semi-permanent autumn outside, with a big swathe of rain coming in early evening. Hopefully the forecast for the week ahead is correct and we see some more settled, sunnier and warmer weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

6.6 celsius at midday today with heavy rain, its absolutely shocking .I am 51 years old and this is as bad as I can remember so cold a temperaure at this time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

6.6 celsius at midday today with heavy rain, its absolutely shocking .I am 51 years old and this is as bad as I can remember so cold a temperaure at this time of year.

warmer for definite in 7-8 months

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Rather dismal temps for late May to say the least. Hard to believe that it's almost June.

As for the rain itself, whilst I very much welcomed it at first after the dry April we have had, I am getting a little fed up of it now and I desperately need to cut the grass (not wise to use a lawnmower on wet grass) which at this rate will end up being taller than my house. 

Certainly quite a contrast to May of last year - talk about one extreme to the other. I just wish we didn't get so many blocking patterns and instead have more variable weather like we used to.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted

Shocking!. I went out to the pub today to watch my beloved Wolves FC. We lost. I had a few beers. Went back over the road to the bus stop in the heavy rain. The breath freezing . I said jokingly to fellow people in the stop ' a bit like December'. A few laughs and jokes then got on the bus. Walked down road in the hideous crap .  My old granddad always hated May. I can see why.

Posted
1 hour ago, Britneyfan said:

Not the best day here in south Essex but clearly not as bad as other locations the rain has only just arrived had some sunny spells and a high of 14.2° so not good for May, but not as bad as it could have been I suppose 

What sunny spells there was none? Only was clear overnight and a little after dawn first thing. Cloud fest.