Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
    11 minutes ago, Azazel said:

    Hopefully the cold for next week continues to correct west, all the way into North America.

    Not great for you, probably no snow, looks amazing for northern members, not so much here under 200m

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Yes indeed. It gets forgotten that there are people who view and partake of this site who are actually also ordinary members of the public and not just 'weather enthusiasts'.  Its good to be a weather

    I oft said, during the time I was a regular poster in this forum, that the the words 'upgrade' and 'downgrade' should be placed in the swear filter sine die. They are subjective and superfluous and in

    A couple of the views from my flat today:

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Maidstone, Kent
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 15c (the sunnier the better!)
  • Location: Maidstone, Kent

    Unlike in winter I'm pleased the upcoming cold spell is evaporating. We might even have our warm spell extended to Thursday but some major disagreements even just 3 days out. Go on winter off you go!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
    42 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

    Unlike in winter I'm pleased the upcoming cold spell is evaporating. We might even have our warm spell extended to Thursday but some major disagreements even just 3 days out. Go on winter off you go!

    It doesn't matter what time of year it is, potential cold spells often evaporate these days with mild/warm air hanging on and eventually winning!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Crymych, Pembrokeshire. 150m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
  • Location: Crymych, Pembrokeshire. 150m asl
    9 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

    Unlike in winter I'm pleased the upcoming cold spell is evaporating. We might even have our warm spell extended to Thursday but some major disagreements even just 3 days out. Go on winter off you go!

    Personally, I’m hoping this cold air gets shifted at least 500 miles to the east - would make a huge difference to the weather here in the west!  Selfish?  Maybe, but come on, its time for a month of sun and warmth, not snow!

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
    2 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

    Personally, I’m hoping this cold air gets shifted at least 500 miles to the east - would make a huge difference to the weather here in the west!  Selfish?  Maybe, but come on, its time for a month of sun and warmth, not snow!

    Agreed - why anybody is looking forward to cold at this time of year is beyond me!

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bournemouth
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Very Warm, Warm! Sunshine & TS
  • Location: Bournemouth
    11 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

    Agreed - why anybody is looking forward to cold at this time of year is beyond me!

    Agreed with all the above! Once the calendar flips over in April snow and cold really aren’t welcome again until late November. I am concerned about the cold spell as has potential to consume large parts of April beyond into beer garden opening time which would be dreadful.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rotherham
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
  • Location: Rotherham
    1 hour ago, Djdazzle said:

    Agreed - why anybody is looking forward to cold at this time of year is beyond me!

     

    I'm looking forward to it, I've seen some hefty amounts of Snow in April over years, still clearly remember late April 1981 when we had blizzards for 3 days with snowdrifts several feet deep on hills around here in South Yorks and North Derbyshire.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
    Just now, Bradowl said:

     

    I'm looking forward to it, I've seen some hefty amounts of Snow in April over years, still clearly remember late April 1981 when we had blizzards for 3 days with snowdrifts several feet deep on hills around here in South Yorks and North Derbyshire.

    It just seems a waste at this time of the year - despite what models dangle at us, any meaningful settling snow is extremely unlikely. For the sake of a once in a generation snowfall, I’d be up for it, just for the historical value. But walking around in just a raw wind doesn’t do it for me.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
    1 minute ago, Djdazzle said:

    It just seems a waste at this time of the year - despite what models dangle at us, any meaningful settling snow is extremely unlikely. For the sake of a once in a generation snowfall, I’d be up for it, just for the historical value. But walking around in just a raw wind doesn’t do it for me.

    Nah. I'm all for this in December or January. But early April? Come on....how anyone can prefer that to what we had yesterday and the next 2 days at this time of year is beyond me. I get why people can dislike summer heat into the 30s C as it can feel sticky and oppressive, but temperatures around the low 20s C with sunshine is almost perfect.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Andover, Hampshire
  • Location: Andover, Hampshire

    I'm a bit depressed that the vast majority of April looks like it's going to be dominated by cool/cold weather, not gonna lie. I think we've been spoiled in recent years with lovely Aprils.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Linford, Essex
  • Location: Linford, Essex

    My birthday coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll be hugely disappointed if it ends up being cold. It's April fgs, don't need any more cold muck!

    Edited by Seasonal Trim
    Can't even swear in abbreviations!
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Burton-on-Trent
  • Location: Burton-on-Trent

    I'm still open to an absolute perfect scenario of non-stop snow with several foot depth drifts, but no way am I choosing a cm or two that will be gone after 15 minutes of sunshine over weather like today. Beyond me why people want Spring ruined just to see a few sleet showers 

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
  • Location: Sible Hedingham, North Essex
    1 hour ago, Azazel said:

    I'm a bit depressed that the vast majority of April looks like it's going to be dominated by cool/cold weather, not gonna lie. I think we've been spoiled in recent years with lovely Aprils.

    Impossible to say if it will turn out that way. But we will get a cold April sooner or later.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
    1 hour ago, Azazel said:

    I'm a bit depressed that the vast majority of April looks like it's going to be dominated by cool/cold weather, not gonna lie. I think we've been spoiled in recent years with lovely Aprils.

    I wouldn't write the whole month off mate. Sure - from Easter Monday onwards it doesn't look great for the next week...

    image.thumb.png.9f8309c4d21e85925a05ff727866e120.png

    But the ECM weeklies have that trough lifting out by mid-month, so hopefully an improvement there. A Euro high in that set up could be pleasant:

    image.thumb.png.15160cb4662675f3d4b5c2374f090cd3.png

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Weston-Super-Mare, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
  • Location: Weston-Super-Mare, North Somerset

    Why can't these hideous cold charts just implode like they usually do during the winter months! 

    Absolutely gorgeous outside today, would rather this continued instead of cold crud returning. 

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    6 minutes ago, Smartie said:

    Why can't these hideous cold charts just implode like they usually do during the winter months! 

    Absolutely gorgeous outside today, would rather this continued instead of cold crud returning. 

    Agreed, although at least the cold charts are being eroded from both ends. Originally we were looking at Wednesday night as the arrival of cold, now it seems Monday. Originally, it could've been a week long northerly, whereas now it backs westerly by midweek and by later next week it just looks like a cyclonic southwesterly ergo plenty of April showers. Not the beautiful weather we have now by any means but I'd take that latter over a northerly now any day.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bedfordshire
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers with thunderstorms, stormy or fog/frost autumns, cold winters
  • Location: Bedfordshire
    29 minutes ago, MP-R said:

    Agreed, although at least the cold charts are being eroded from both ends. Originally we were looking at Wednesday night as the arrival of cold, now it seems Monday. Originally, it could've been a week long northerly, whereas now it backs westerly by midweek and by later next week it just looks like a cyclonic southwesterly ergo plenty of April showers. Not the beautiful weather we have now by any means but I'd take that latter over a northerly now any day.

    Yes agreed. The 'real' cold that was supposed to start tomorrow evening - according to what some models were seeing 5 or 6 days ago (and some members were hyping up) - is now arriving 4 days after that date. I'm still unconvinced it'll get here at all if you look at ECM, its mean and its Para run. No heatwave but most of the cold hits E Greenland, Iceland and some N Atlantic shipping traffic

    Thing with Monday's GFS N'ly is (if it verifies that is), I know exactly how it'll turn out IMBY. Very unpleasant, cold, windy but with little snow in reality. We'll get hail, rain and maybe a bit of sleet in heavier showers. Why folk would rather that, at this time of year, than temps in the upper 60's/low 70's with the sun out, I'll never be able to get my head round.

    Those living on a hill in the north/NW or on NE coasts might get a cm or two of snow, I s'pose. Maybe with Scottish mountain areas getting something more significant than that

    Edited by LRD
    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
    3 hours ago, Azazel said:

    I'm a bit depressed that the vast majority of April looks like it's going to be dominated by cool/cold weather, not gonna lie. I think we've been spoiled in recent years with lovely Aprils.

    Recent Aprils have given a false impression of what the weather at this time of the year is supposed to be like to be honest. The average max is only 10-14C. The 20-23C that we'll see today is some 10+C above average. Its all very early.

    The northerly shown on the models is pretty normal for early April and was more common before the last decade or so. The irony is that downgrades will likely result in worse conditions on the ground for many.

    No need to be depressed though. Its akin to being down about winter after a cold spell in late September.

    Personally I like spring weather in spring (cold and warm spells). When many on here say they want spring they actually mean summer.

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bedfordshire
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers with thunderstorms, stormy or fog/frost autumns, cold winters
  • Location: Bedfordshire
    17 minutes ago, reef said:

    Recent Aprils have given a false impression of what the weather at this time of the year is supposed to be like to be honest. The average max is only 10-14C. The 20-23C that we'll see today is some 10+C above average. Its all very early.

    The northerly shown on the models is pretty normal for early April and was more common before the last decade or so. The irony is that downgrades will likely result in worse conditions on the ground for many.

    No need to be depressed though. Its akin to being down about winter after a cold spell in late September.

    Personally I like spring weather in spring (cold and warm spells). When many on here say they want spring they actually mean summer.

    April can swing dramatically between cold and warm of course. But I think all I'm saying is that I prefer the warm face of April rather than the cold face. Average temps here in early April is 14 degrees as you say. A not-too-dramatic 2 or 3 degrees above that average is actually very nice indeed. I'm not expecting temps in the 20s celsius every April

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    19 minutes ago, LRD said:

    April can swing dramatically between cold and warm of course. But I think all I'm saying is that I prefer the warm face of April rather than the cold face. Average temps here in early April is 14 degrees as you say. A not-too-dramatic 2 or 3 degrees above that average is actually very nice indeed. I'm not expecting temps in the 20s celsius every April

    Indeed. April 2010 was a good example of perfectly pleasant April weather with plenty of sunshine but never amazingly high temperatures. I think the max for the whole month was 21C here and most days were 13-17C.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
  • Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire
    On 29/03/2021 at 09:56, knocker said:

    I oft said, during the time I was a regular poster in this forum, that the the words 'upgrade' and 'downgrade' should be placed in the swear filter sine die. They are subjective and superfluous and invariable crop up during 'discussions' in F1, when by definition, the models are unreliable and subject to frequent inter run and daily changes And the observation is still pertinent

    I agree with the general sentiments.  The terms "upgrade" and "downgrade" refer to something being toned up or down, but my question there is, what is it that's being toned up or down?  Usually it's whatever the person who is posting wants to see, which is as subjective as it gets.   Even when there's a general agreement on seeking cold/snow for example, a colder run can be an "upgrade" in that it's colder, but a "downgrade" in that there is less precipitation about and it is therefore less snowy.  Similarly with the desire for warm sunshine and seeing a warmer but cloudier run.  Thus, when I was regularly posting in the Model Output Discussion thread I preferred to be more specific about the changes from run to run.

    The arguments over snow versus warm sunshine in spring remind me a lot of the rule that, say, if you support Sunderland you have to hate Newcastle United.  In terms of the weather, perhaps what "gets" me most at this time of year is the view, "Cold weather in spring is raw, dull, wet and windy", combined with the desire to see a northerly with sunshine and snow showers miss the UK and be replaced by a raw, dull, wet and windy scenario (which could actually happen next week if the northerly goes off slightly to the west of Britain).  I don't object to people preferring dull wet windy weather over sunshine and snow showers, but I do object to partisan point scoring, and this particular example reeks of that rather than a genuine personal preference.

    Edited by Thundery wintry showers
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bratislava (240m)
  • Location: Bratislava (240m)

    What a gorgeous day. 22-23C with strong sunshine. Feels a world away from dark December and the cold March up until recently.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London

    22.6c at 2pm at Heathrow. The March record for the station is 22.8c, so I expect that to fall at the next update!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Edinburgh (previously Chelmsford and Birmingham)
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
  • Location: Edinburgh (previously Chelmsford and Birmingham)

    St. James' Park just recorded 24.2C:

     

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
  • Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire

    Exeter Airport is currently reporting 19C, probably a cooling breeze off the Channel, but still very warm for the end of March.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...