Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

15 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

For me that is a perfect temperature in summer. More than warm enough for shorts and tshirt and you don't sweat either.

This is true but don’t forget that’s for my neck of the woods in the south east and we are not doing too bad for temps reaching mid to high teens atm, I know it’s not as good elsewhere though so don’t know what a below average summer would mean for other locations, for me it would probably mean maxes of 19 to 22

Posted
30 minutes ago, Britneyfan said:

This is true but don’t forget that’s for my neck of the woods in the south east and we are not doing too bad for temps reaching mid to high teens atm, I know it’s not as good elsewhere though so don’t know what a below average summer would mean for other locations, for me it would probably mean maxes of 19 to 22

I think 24c is more suitable for t shirts and shorts if we are talking about June to august time. In May, 22-23c is warm enough for that. 20 or below is still cool enough to need a light jacket.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
5 hours ago, 38.7°C said:

I do hope those pining for "a bit of" or "some" rain a few week ago are happy with what they wished for. "we need some rain, we need some rain, a bit of rain will do us good, farmers wont be happy so let it rain" were once the cries in here. Just scroll back a few pages its all there. 

I must admit I'm getting pretty cheesed off with it now, trying to build things like this is bl...dy hard work in the rubbish.

1355012617_IMG_20210429_091843-Copy.thumb.jpg.3ce4c11fe42035a3b1795f8cea6085e4.jpg

The below shows  coldest 15 Mays at Bournemouth airport (by avg Tmax) from the 64years of Meto records with the subsequent average Tmax for the summer. Not great viewing really with the exception of 1975 and off course 1983.

I only showed the bottom 15 given average is currently 13.9C (goodness 1962 must have been dreadful to average for the entire month) and to get out of that list we'd need to average 18C plus which is 100% not going to happen,

1451808737_May-Summer.thumb.png.8b96761a5ad0ddb8d41b9a3104480f78.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Oh lovely. We topped at 12c.

It did stop raining. Turned into drizzle before going back to rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

A few months back I did post somewhere that, since 1996, we have not had a dreadful May in my opinion.  Sure there have been some that have been average at best eg 10,13,15, but no really terrible ones (even 2007 had 2 warm spells) 

Taking the month so far, and the 14 day outlook, I now retract that comment fully and hope I haven't jinxed it for everyone!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Big areas of clear sky here now, 30 mins before sunset. Says it all really.

Posted

Been light rain all day,then got much weirder as heard a loud boom,then more distant thunder as what looked like a normal dreary wet day,turned pretty dramatic with huge cumulus,black clouds,showers and stronger north winds.12.9c.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

The rain and cloud don't bother me that much. Its the fact that you have to put a jacket on to nip out to the garden for a cheeky smoke in the middle of May in London... now that annoys me! Can't remember anything like it. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

Here went from an afternoon temperature of 29C on Tuesday to 14C on Wednesday. Today has a weather warning for rain lasting all day and temperatures no higher than 13C.

The latest ECM is as bad as it gets. Highest forecast maximum in the next ten days is 19C with only two other days supposed to reach 16C. Average high here for May is 22C. What a horror show. 

Yes, been chucking it down here for 2 days and nights now and currently 9°C. I like some rain in spring but definitely not chilly temperatures. 19°C will be nice with some sunshine but not looking great for that, anytime soon! 

60BA7168-BC41-443C-B781-5C6877FE8C50.png

Posted
2 hours ago, SummerShower said:

A few months back I did post somewhere that, since 1996, we have not had a dreadful May in my opinion.  Sure there have been some that have been average at best eg 10,13,15, but no really terrible ones (even 2007 had 2 warm spells) 

Taking the month so far, and the 14 day outlook, I now retract that comment fully and hope I haven't jinxed it for everyone!

This May feeling like an April 2012 which was predominantly cool and very wet coming on the back of the very dry and warm March, we had the dry in April this year but the cold as well. Lost count the number of times we see abrupt changes from sustained dry to sustained wet... dry April's always seem a bad omen..

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, been chucking it down here for 2 days and nights now and currently 9°C. I like some rain in spring but definitely not chilly temperatures. 19°C will be nice with some sunshine but not looking great for that, anytime soon! 

60BA7168-BC41-443C-B781-5C6877FE8C50.png

Basically same forecast as here London 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Regatding summer highs of 20-22c. The absolute coldest July/Augusts of all time in London had average highs around 20c. Absolutely not a good average high for mid summer. Even the disgusting July/August 2007, July/August 2011, July 2012 had average highs above 21c. 21-22c means unsettled, rainy and cloudy here. Not so much in June where the typical 1991-2020 day has partly cloudy skies and temps between 21-22c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

My thoughts about Spring so far from down here on the South Coast.  Plenty of sunshine so far but it's the low temperatures and a frequent northerly wind spoiling it.  At least we have had some much needed rain in the last few days. The forecast for the next week is pretty grim though. Roll on Summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

Big areas of clear sky here now, 30 mins before sunset. Says it all really.

I remember that happening here quite a bit in May 2012. Not the best omen, I know!

As for 20-22 °C... with strong sunshine and light winds it can feel very warm indeed. Though to be honest right now I would be thrilled to see 20 °C at all! My 2021 outright max may still be from March as June starts. That's bonkers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
3 hours ago, B87 said:

Regatding summer highs of 20-22c. The absolute coldest July/Augusts of all time in London had average highs around 20c. Absolutely not a good average high for mid summer. Even the disgusting July/August 2007, July/August 2011, July 2012 had average highs above 21c. 21-22c means unsettled, rainy and cloudy here. Not so much in June where the typical 1991-2020 day has partly cloudy skies and temps between 21-22c.

Codswallop. When I lived in Essex, where mean Summer highs are perhaps a degree lower than your location, highs of 21°C usually meant sunshine and scattered clouds, and not "unsettled, rainy and cloudy". The reason e.g. July 2012 had an average high above 21°C was because of a spell of hot days at the end where temperatures climbed into the high 20s. The unsettled days had highs in the 17-19°C range -- certainly not 21-22°C. You can check that at this link to Heathrow weather data:

cityog.php?title=Past%20Weather%20in&tin
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Weather reports from July 2012 in Heathrow, England, United Kingdom with highs and lows

Unsettled weather in Essex generally brought summertime highs in the same range when I lived there.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
13 hours ago, Alderc said:

Looks like the max here today was just 12.9c. Again extremely poor.

The MetO keep showing highs of 15c to 16c down south so I really think they overcook the temperatures.

Being close to the coast I imagine Bournemouth would miss out on the worst of the showers as well so 13c in Mid May is dire.

Andy

4 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

The MetO keep showing highs of 15c to 16c down south so I really think they overcook the temperatures.

Being close to the coast I imagine Bournemouth would miss out on the worst of the showers as well so 13c in Mid May is dire.

Andy

Yes it’s been poor normally we would miss out on the showers and would have more sun a cool sea breeze but temps still several degrees up on where they are. Still it will improve eventually, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Codswallop. When I lived in Essex, where mean Summer highs are perhaps a degree lower than your location, highs of 21°C usually meant sunshine and scattered clouds, and not "unsettled, rainy and cloudy". The reason e.g. July 2012 had an average high above 21°C was because of a spell of hot days at the end where temperatures climbed into the high 20s. The unsettled days had highs in the 17-19°C range -- certainly not 21-22°C. You can check that at this link to Heathrow weather data:

cityog.php?title=Past%20Weather%20in&tin
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Weather reports from July 2012 in Heathrow, England, United Kingdom with highs and lows

Unsettled weather in Essex generally brought summertime highs in the same range when I lived there.

July 2000, August 2006, July 2007, August 2007, August 2008, August 2010, July 2011, August 2011, July 2012, August 2015, August 2017.

All had average highs around 21-22c. All were cloudy, wet months (with the exception of August 2007 which was just very cool).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Opened the curtains this morning and it is another pile of festering smelly underpants that I wouldn't make my worst enemy wear......but at least it's not raining.

I went out at 6am to go to work and thought it was November (barring it not being dark!) 8/8 leaden grey skies, murky and drizzly damp feel to the air and about 7c. Not what I want in mid May.

As a few others have noted - It's only 5 weeks to the solstice now and we've had nothing decent at all really barring those warm couple of days in late March. 2021 is the year of eternal late winter/early spring. Just seems like we're stuck in early April and haven't moved on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think in 1965 some places managed to have their warmest day of the year in March!  It's unlikely to happen this year, but it wouldn't be completely unprecedented if it did.

I think the season has been advancing since early April - we had those northerlies early on, then a run of dry sunny cool weather, and now into the second week of May temperatures have been on the up, with no frosts recently and maxima around the mid-teens, but of course there was that exceptional warmth at the end of March which rather skewed things.  Since that early warm/hot spell it's certainly been advancing at a slower rate than normal especially for recent years.

Lincoln has got off lightly so far this month, the last two days were dry and sunny with maxes of around 16C, some sharp showers and a bit of thunder earlier in the week with 15-16C max, but today so far it's been cloudy and just 10C, we'll have to see if the sun gets out later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, B87 said:

July 2000, August 2006, July 2007, August 2007, August 2008, August 2010, July 2011, August 2011, July 2012, August 2015, August 2017.

All had average highs around 21-22c. All were cloudy, wet months (with the exception of August 2007 which was just very cool).

I don't disagree. But those months had those average highs because some days got into the high 20s or low 30s, thus pulling the average up; the days that were unsettled had average highs much lower than 22°C. I'm disputing that a 22°C day in London in Summer means "unsettled, rainy, and cloudy", because looking at the data it definitely doesn't. My own memories from Essex also back this up.

August 2011 is a more extreme example. Highs on unsettled days were often lower than in July 2012, with 16-17°C common. The reason the average was higher was due to a number of finer days which saw temperatures peak much higher than the mean. Again, you can check that via the link I provided.