Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
48 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Not to be negative, but we have only 6 weeks before we reach the longest day. I usually find if we don’t achieve a proper hot spell of a week or two by mid June, the summer that follows is usually very average or poor. Have a feeling we are looking at another 1998, 2001, or something along the lines of the 2009-2010 era, when we had at least 2-3 weeks of warm sunny and hot weather,  but more unsettled and cooler conditions before and after. 

Way too early to call off summer now.  

• Like 1

The Dreadfulness of the gfs 12z Ops is not to be underestimated. Max temp her until the 27th would be just 14-15c if it panned out, even some ground frosts returning. Some places get a little milder but also plenty of days just 11-12c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
2 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Also who the hell wants a wind and rain storm in May get a grip.

This is a weather interest site. Get a grip

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
49 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Yes still too early. Spring 95 wasn't good at all and even the first half of June was rubbish, then it dramatically changed and was plain sailing from there right through until late August (not saying a repeat is on the cards). Spring 2013 was abnormally chilly and June wasn't great but July was very warm/hot through a lot of it. So yes too early. 

• Like 2

Posted

1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

1983 failed to reach 20c until sometime in late May. 

Yes looks like it failed to breach 18C at Exeter Airport that Spring. I wouldn't mind a repeat July 1983 though, slightly hotter than 2006 down here with 4 days of thunder at the airport.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Yes looks like it failed to breach 18C at Exeter Airport that Spring. I wouldn't mind a repeat July 1983 though, slightly hotter than 2006 down here with 4 days of thunder at the airport.

My memory might be a wee bit jaded, but I think that, in June1972, London failed to reach 22C? Over to you, Mr. Data!

• Like 1

Posted

Sadly for me my favourite 2 months of the year have basically gone down the toilet. Can’t believe we are only 6 weeks from the solstice and I’m still wearing my heavy winter coat and a bobble hat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Sadly for me my favourite 2 months of the year have basically gone down the toilet. Can’t believe we are only 6 weeks from the solstice and I’m still wearing my heavy winter coat and a bobble hat.

And I've just taken off my tee-shirt, as it's too betty swollocks!

PS:  Good luck at Stamford Bridge!

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

And I've just taken off my tee-shirt, as it's too betty swollocks!

The difference between an Arsenal fan and a Spurs fan extends into the weather domain!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

My memory might be a wee bit jaded, but I think that, in June1972, London failed to reach 22C? Over to you, Mr. Data!

And I think July 1988 was the same from memory..

Anyhow, it has been an interesting period from the 30th March, through April just because of how unusual it has been.  Sadly, may so far, apart from the 3rd which had a decent windstorm, has been a right old borefest.  We've missed the thunderstorms here.  In fact, it can't even seem to rain properly at the moment!  Case in point, right now it's been raining continuously for nearly an hour but so lightly the ground is barely damp.. what use is that..

If it's going to rain it needs to do so properly..

Also I'd rather have a windstorm in say oct/Nov when it is more normal, but it is interesting weather nonetheless

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I fully understand what you mean, my favourite 2 months are Nov and Dec, i love that time of year with the reduction in light levels but for over 10 years now since 2010 they have been useless, mild crap. You have my sympathies.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
3 hours ago, Earthshine said:

Anything can happen during Summer at very short notice. 2019 and 2020 saw just this with record breaking heatwaves creeping out of nowhere

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
21 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Anything can happen during Summer at very short notice. 2019 and 2020 saw just this with record breaking heatwaves creeping out of nowhere

True but by and large they weren't stand out summers for sustained warmth and sunshine, we only had brief bursts of heat and most wouldn't call them good summers away from the SE, both of those summers was wetter and duller than average in our area as well. I think most people tend to remember summers like 2018, 2006, 2003, 1995, 1976 instead of 2 day wonders.

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

My favourite month May is going down the pan, just June left now to redeem things, I don't expect settled weather once July arrives. April brought its typical very dry conditions but was far too cold to benefit from it.

Guess we've done well in recent May's notably last year and 2018.. still hoping for some dry settled warm weather before the month is done.

We've been here before 2012 springs to mind, a very chilly 6 week spell came to an end about 20 May and we had an excellent end to the month, but the less said about the following summer the better. 2013 brought a bit of warmth in April but nothing long lasting and was followed by no warmth in May and not much in June either, not sure I can wait until July this year given the last 14 months we've had.. last spring was stolen from us.

Posted
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

The difference between an Arsenal fan and a Spurs fan extends into the weather domain!

Last time Arsenal finished this low in the league was 1995. Which was the lowest since 1976. Just saying....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

After a sudden 3 day hot spell here (Sunday-Tuesday), it’s been absolutely chucking it down nearly non-stop since with a big cool-down. Currently 11°C with heavy rain and plenty more to come over the next 10 days, by the looks of it. Weather lore here says that a cool, wet May is usually followed by a hot summer, we shall see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Agreed with a couple of other posters that the lack of a settled May this year is a real downer. It's my favourite month too, as when it all goes right (eg last year) it can be very warm and sunny without the unpleasant humidity of a late summer hot spell. Plus the days are longer than in say late August. When it's almost the midpoint of May and my 2021 max is still from March, that is a very very long way from inspiring.

Edited by Arctic Hare
typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

It's mid May. I'm still using the gas fire- I was cold in bed last night, and its STILL raining here. Top temp a miserable 13c yesterday- today isn't going to be much different by the looks of it.

Posted

My only hope is that this crap weather is happening in May.. Last  June we had 12c here for a week in the mid month.. Things can only improve. Though may take the rest of May. To me September is always better than May anyway and thats  3  and half months away.. Though the last few Mays have been excellent. . We've had some good springs in recent years and average to poor summers.. So hopefully its a different outcome this time around

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 minutes ago, philglossop said:

It's mid May. I'm still using the gas fire- I was cold in bed last night, and its STILL raining here. Top temp a miserable 13c yesterday- today isn't going to be much different by the looks of it.

No, it's pretty dreadful. These excellent charts from James Peacock show how poor May has been:

image.thumb.png.374045b63cfde803e7bba3bab4fe13b7.png

This on the back of a freezing cold April too:

image.thumb.png.8f052d69527290e9c7ef3f602167c2d1.png

If no warm up occurs then it could be an unprecedented cold April/May combo in many areas.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

After a sudden 3 day hot spell here (Sunday-Tuesday), it’s been absolutely chucking it down nearly non-stop since with a big cool-down. Currently 11°C with heavy rain and plenty more to come over the next 10 days, by the looks of it. Weather lore here says that a cool, wet May is usually followed by a hot summer, we shall see.

Here went from an afternoon temperature of 29C on Tuesday to 14C on Wednesday. Today has a weather warning for rain lasting all day and temperatures no higher than 13C.

The latest ECM is as bad as it gets. Highest forecast maximum in the next ten days is 19C with only two other days supposed to reach 16C. Average high here for May is 22C. What a horror show. 

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

May is my very favourite month too - this is absolutely dreadful!  It's like a late October day here today, the heating is clicking on and off all the time and my neighbour lit his wood burner yesterday!  I hate the way the lovely light evenings are already ticking away until the Solstice and we haven't sat outside once yet this year (and my flowers/veg refuse to grow!).

1 minute ago, sarahng said:

May is my very favourite month too - this is absolutely dreadful!  It's like a late October day here today, the heating is clicking on and off all the time and my neighbour lit his wood burner yesterday!  I hate the way the lovely light evenings are already ticking away until the Solstice and we haven't sat outside once yet this year (and my flowers/veg refuse to grow!).

Very grim 2021 so far and no change for the rest of the month. This is the worse i have ever seen for warmth and projected warmth.

Global warming certainly doesnt help the UK with warmth or longer settled periods thats for sure. More energy in the system leads to less seasons. Feels like we are moving to two seasons; spring and autumn. So less cold in winter and less prolonged warmth in summer.

Future doesnt bode well for UK weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
25 minutes ago, DCee said:

Very grim 2021 so far and no change for the rest of the month. This is the worse i have ever seen for warmth and projected warmth.

Global warming certainly doesnt help the UK with warmth or longer settled periods thats for sure. More energy in the system leads to less seasons. Feels like we are moving to two seasons; spring and autumn. So less cold in winter and less prolonged warmth in summer.

Future doesnt bode well for UK weather.

I mean, we recorded the hottest day on record in 2019 and then the third hottest day on record last year.  We still do get prolonged warmth, that incredible summer of 2018 was only 3 years ago.