Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Dreadful day like November warmer is not always better...

This is miles better than the cold, wet weather we've been having over the last few days...great to feel no chill in the air at long last

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

This is miles better than the cold, wet weather we've been having over the last few days...great to feel no chill in the air at long last

No it’s much worse no sunshine at all and muggy horrible.

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

No it’s much worse no sunshine at all and muggy horrible.

No frost which is a massive plus as well. I'm happy to sacrifice some sunshine for a few days if it means we are finished with frost which is pretty damaging for the gardens.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Today I'm agreeing more with those who aren't keen on this type of weather, a warmer version of a dull damp November day, but I fully expect to welcome the shift back into a sunshine-and-showers regime starting tomorrow with temperatures up at around where we'd normally expect at this time of year. 

I thought April was an interesting month, a refreshing change from the run of warm ones we've had recently, no doubt helped by its emphasis on sunshine rather than raw dull wet weather, and was quite excited by the rare (for recent years) chance of snow in May, but if the cold regime had gone on much longer it would have outstayed its welcome even for me.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Thought I'd fell asleep in May, and woke up in October . Vile  weather.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

No frost which is a massive plus as well. I'm happy to sacrifice some sunshine for a few days if it means we are finished with frost which is pretty damaging for the gardens.

Well that is your own opinion personally I’d prefer 11C and brightness, over my current 16C cloud/humid fest. This weather least appeals to me it’s the absence of weather.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Daniel* said:

Well that is your own opinion personally I’d prefer 11C and brightness, over my current 16C cloud/humid fest. This weather least appeals to me it’s the absence of weather.

Correct, that's why April 2021 wasn't that bad of a month people make it seem. Yes it was cold but it wasn't a deluge like 2012 was. This May is shaping up to be cool and wet which is the worst combination imo

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I would think after the next few days, the trees will greenify that bit more, so that's a plus in my book! As said above though, I'll be far more interested in the sunshine and heavy downpour days to come. Another year, another case of Maypril showers!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Correct, that's why April 2021 wasn't that bad of a month people make it seem. Yes it was cold but it wasn't a deluge like 2012 was. This May is shaping up to be cool and wet which is the worst combination imo

April 2021 as a whole wasn't bad, but the last few days and the first few days of May have been poor. It's been a while since we had sunshine and warmish afternoons. It's been stupidly cold for almost 10 days now so about time we got rid of that awful cold air.

• Like 2

Posted
56 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Yes agreed. I went out for a walk this afternoon and although there was the odd spot of rain in the air it was just great to feel that mild muggy humid air mass again. The constant cold arctic air really does me no good at all. I just hate the cold. I put up with it in December January and February because it is expected. But too much for me when it drags on in April and May. Hopefully it's gone now until December!

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Today I'm agreeing more with those who aren't keen on this type of weather, a warmer version of a dull damp November day, but I fully expect to welcome the shift back into a sunshine-and-showers regime starting tomorrow with temperatures up at around where we'd normally expect at this time of year. 

I thought April was an interesting month, a refreshing change from the run of warm ones we've had recently, no doubt helped by its emphasis on sunshine rather than raw dull wet weather, and was quite excited by the rare (for recent years) chance of snow in May, but if the cold regime had gone on much longer it would have outstayed its welcome even for me.

The dreaded SW airstream back in full swing today. never good for Cumbria either brings incessant rain, or just dank damp weather and always low cloud shrouding and cloaking everything - grey. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

The dreaded SW airstream back in full swing today. never good for Cumbria either brings incessant rain, or just dank damp weather and always low cloud shouding and cloaking everything - grey. 

arrived 6 weeks or so early

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

arrived 6 weeks or so early

Thankfully looks like it will be kicked aside quickly after tomorrow, more of a cleaner polar maritime westerly next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
3 hours ago, Frigid said:

I wouldn't think April 2021 was that bad if I didn't have an allotment, but when you plant 60 potatoes and not a single one grows, you sow two long rows of carrots and not a single seedling emerges, and you live in SE England, it crosses the line into chain yanking territory.

Edited by al78
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Eugene said:

After a brilliant prolonged sunny period the much heralded warm spell is here, dull, drizzly and not even feeling that warm, enjoy the dull fest weekend.

Better than waking up every morning and its minus 3. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Must be the first time since March that I've seen a weather forecast with average temperatures on it! No sign of warmth yet, but normal May temps in May will do just fine after the last 5 weeks.

BcMlJQr.png

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, B87 said:

Must be the first time since March that I've seen a weather forecast with average temperatures on it! No sign of warmth yet, but normal May temps in May will do just fine after the last 5 weeks.

BcMlJQr.png

Also worth noting the much milder nights, well above freezing going forward! I’m actually perfectly happy with the output now, as you say average temps which in the sunshine will feel nice, then showers which will keep the garden happy and no frosts so it’s good as far as I’m concerned 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
18 hours ago, Scorcher said:

They do happen at Heathrow- there were 4 last August and one in July 2019 looking back at the records.

Historically they were rare at Heathrow but I think the trend in recent years for more extreme hot spells has made them much more likely.

Looking at the years 2007-2020 (Meteociel server fire wiped out everything before), it seems that the average year will get near 20c on the warmest night, but just miss out. 20c nights do happen occasionally though.

2B7R5LO.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Finally losing that God-awful, freezing wind here. I can’t remember such a cold spring, the chill has been relentless. Today, tomorrow and Tuesday look much warmer (23°C, 27°C and 27°C expected, respectively) with plenty of sunshine and chances of thunderstorms later on Tuesday. Much more my cup of tea.

39 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Finally losing that God-awful, freezing wind here. I can’t remember such a cold spring, the chill has been relentless. Today, tomorrow and Tuesday look much warmer (23°C, 27°C and 27°C expected, respectively) with plenty of sunshine and chances of thunderstorms later on Tuesday. Much more my cup of tea.

So Jealous.....

Only the second double digit minima of the year here but today looks poor now, under a stream of moisture and drizzle looks likely most of the day. So much for a better day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Good morning all,

It does seem like the low pressures of last Monday and yesterday have kicked the wider pattern away from HP to the NW allowing a more Westerly flow now. 

I'm not complaining to be honest, we could do with some rain here and if we continue to erode the North Atlantic HP, we can start to build it to the South. 

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Latest ECM is a horror show from Wednesday onwards. Shades of May 2019. I hope to god it doesn't come off.