Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 minutes ago, Freeze said:

But what if having a cold April ( may has only just begun) was payback for the last 8-9 years of mostly above average months? Where would 'payback' draw a line? 

The last bad May here was 2015 so we are probably overdue one, but not to the level of being the coldest on record. The last cold April in London was in 2016. We are overdue a hot August and a warm/sunny autumn though. 

Goodness, the GFS 06Z run. Maxes in the south don't get above 9-10C for 4 straight days next week, it just gets worse and worse. GFS really not buying into anything other than cold, cold, cold. Don't care what anyone says about ECM/UKMO offering milder options GFS is extremely consistent currently. 

2 minutes ago, B87 said:

The last bad May here was 2015 so we are probably overdue one, but not to the level of being the coldest on record. The last cold April in London was in 2016. We are overdue a hot August and a warm/sunny autumn though. 

If you go down that route we due a crappy July and a summer that delivers a peak max in and around 30C. Something we've not seen since 2012.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

If you go down that route we due a crappy July and a summer that delivers a peak max in and around 30C. Something we've not seen since 2012.

Also a very sunny August and a very sunny October, with a warm autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Foul weather today. 9 °C, wet, windy. And as mentioned above, GFS suggests a foul week coming up, too. Right now I'm wondering when I'll see 15 °C again, never mind 20!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

If the GFS is to be believed, this is shaping up to be one of the worst springs I can remember. You can bang on about how dry April was, but unless you had gin clear skies and dead calm winds it was not pleasant to be out in.

• Like 2

Posted

I made the classic ‘that’s our summer then’ joke after the couple of warm days in March.

Getting a bit nervous now.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If the GFS is to be believed, this is shaping up to be one of the worst springs I can remember. You can bang on about how dry April was, but unless you had gin clear skies and dead calm winds it was not pleasant to be out in.

Yep, sunshine and 10C with a 15mph breeze isn't fun....just hope GFS is wide of the mark beyond the weekend....

Posted

Winter is back with avengence today 7.1c max wettest day I can remember for whenever that was and very windy.

Coldest may day since this,but that was the memorable snow then.

image.thumb.png.eca4f211739cb05b0cf6b6d088ae4df8.png

Posted

It's like a bad parody of British weather out there at the moment. Barely acceptable in February let alone the May bank holiday.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Winter is back with avengence today 7.1c max wettest day I can remember for whenever that was and very windy.

Coldest may day since this,but that was the memorable snow then.

image.thumb.png.eca4f211739cb05b0cf6b6d088ae4df8.png

I was trying to recall what year this was earlier. A May Day that has always stick in the memory. 

Posted

Been on gruelling 12 hour day shifts all through this long weekend, finish at half 7, would love to go for a pint to unwind this evening...ah wait it's basically October outside, except there are usually more leaves on the trees in October!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I've had a rather more positive view on this spring than most, especially the unusually cold dry sunny April.  I can't argue with the majority re. condemning today's autumnal Bank Holiday weather though!  We've had quite a few unusually warm, sunny Bank Holidays recently (notably in 2018) so I guess this is the weather's way of evening it out, but it does feel like a parody of a stereotypical British Bank Holiday out there.

• Like 2

Posted

The incoming GFS for 12th May is incredible. It's got a sleety rain event with max temps barely above freezing in parts of Wales. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Like the middle of Autumn out there here, A cool week coming up and I've got about an inch of oil left in the tank for the range...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
3 hours ago, Thundershine said:

The amount of rain foamers on here who go mad after two dry days is a lot more funny.

If people had to produce their own food like subsistence farmers instead of paying someone else to do it for them, they would be a lot less enthusiastic about extremes, and would understand why locked in weather patterns leading to weeks of dry or weeks of wet can be a bad thing, regardless of whether or not it has scientific interest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
14 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The incoming GFS for 12th May is incredible. It's got a sleety rain event with max temps barely above freezing in parts of Wales. 

I know this is going to sound unpopular but I would love it to come off from a sheer weather enthusiast perspective

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

I know this is going to sound unpopular but I would love it to come off from a sheer weather enthusiast perspective

I'm getting to that point too. Much like how I hate heat, but if it's going to be hot then break some records!

I wonder how much colder this month is going to end up compared to Dec 2015?

Posted
6 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

As long as we can have the first ever 40c recording this summer to make up for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Even though I am okay with the rain for the time being as the weather only started to become unsettled a few days ago, I do hope it doesn't last for too long. I certainly hope we get no more frosts.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

BBC forecasting summer in a weeks time. Can't rly see a warm up incoming and if it does only briefly, GFS 12z also keeps it cool throughout and its been consistent at that. 

image.thumb.png.cdb673c6d23033ab7d879d7566857b14.png

Edited by Frigid

11 minutes ago, Frigid said:

BBC forecasting summer in a weeks time. Can't rly see a warm up incoming and if it does only briefly, GFS 12z also keeps it cool throughout and its been consistent at that. 

image.thumb.png.cdb673c6d23033ab7d879d7566857b14.png

No idea what model they are using for that. Nothing is or has been showing anything like. London could struggle to get above 10C for several days next week..

To be honest, I'm not actually if the output can get any worse for the time of year.....Its dire, the 12Z GFS has an average max temp of just 10.5C over the next 12 days here. Thats mid March. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
42 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm getting to that point too. Much like how I hate heat, but if it's going to be hot then break some records!

I wonder how much colder this month is going to end up compared to Dec 2015?

I almost refuse to call that month a December!  But yes, could be colder than that.  Wouldn't at all be surprised if this month turns out to be the coldest May since 1996, perhaps with the added bonus of it being as wet as 2007 as well..

We're paying for the good run of Mays of 2016-20 right now I feel.