Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
7 minutes ago, al78 said:

Doesn't matter how much anyone tries to play it down, the data says it all. The lowest April mean minimum temperature for 100 years cannot be classed as normal.

Now it looks like April 2021 has the coldest min CET for April since records began. A figure of 1.0C beating 1917 by 0.4c. 

Also the CET for the month is 6.4c. So it's been the coldest April since 1986. Just mind boggling how dry and sunny it's been in conjunction with all this cold weather. 

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but you can't deny that this month has been exceptional, shame it didn't take place in the winter. 

• Like 5

Posted
37 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Now it looks like April 2021 has the coldest min CET for April since records began. A figure of 1.0C beating 1917 by 0.4c. 

Also the CET for the month is 6.4c. So it's been the coldest April since 1986. Just mind boggling how dry and sunny it's been in conjunction with all this cold weather. 

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but you can't deny that this month has been exceptional, shame it didn't take place in the winter. 

Last April was also quite exceptional for sustained clear skies, sunshine, but instead of the cold we had the warmth, not much rain. Quite unusual to have two very dry April's back to back. I wonder if lack of air pollution and interference from air traffic might be a factor.. 

Suspect it will go down as one of the most 'northerly' April's on record.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy L said:

A lot of cold lovers seem desperate to play down how disgraceful the last month has been for some reason. Apparently this is all normal and we are spoilt when we ask for some sunshine and 15C at the end of April, even though as posted above the April minimum has been the coldest in 100 years. People who love disgusting weather that stops you doing anything outside get to "enjoy" that 300 days of the year most years anyway, so let us have the other 65 if it isn't too much to ask please.

Happens every year mate - though this year they are absolutely revelling in it. There’s a small group on here who enjoy the misery of others. It’s super weird because it’s just a weather forum. 

I agree that when you are stood in the direct sunlight, you can indeed feel the strength of the sun, but in the shade and the blustery wind it genuinely does feel like mid winter. It’s been the worst spring I’ve ever seen. Ever. Sure, it’s been dry until now but it has been constantly freezing.

• Like 2

Posted

Anecdotally, I’m still wearing thick woollen slippers around the house and my thermals to bed. That would normally stop around the end of March latest. 

I’m still wearing a thick winter parka and bobble hat to walk the dog.

The odd cold ‘winter feeling’ couple of days here and there wouldn’t be unusual but to have this relentless dreck absolutely is.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Happens every year mate - though this year they are absolutely revelling in it. There’s a small group on here who enjoy the misery of others. It’s super weird because it’s just a weather forum. 

I agree that when you are stood in the direct sunlight, you can indeed feel the strength of the sun, but in the shade and the blustery wind it genuinely does feel like mid winter. It’s been the worst spring I’ve ever seen. Ever. Sure, it’s been dry until now but it has been constantly freezing.

Yes, its a weather forum, which means people are excited by unusual weather which this April has provided lots of.

Colder than average weather will always be more interesting for many weather enthusiasts as its quite rare compared to warmer than average these days. We've had numerous warm Aprils in recent years, but it has been a 32 year wait for a cold one. Saying that, it has been far from a bad month. It has been dry, sunny and had lots of usable weather (if chilly). It is nothing in comparison to Aprils like 2000 and 2012 which were utterly dreadful.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
19 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I'm despising this "spring" as much as anyone but this is utter nonsense.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The rather annoying factor of April was that, as it was so dry and sunny, it may as well have been average or warmer than average... At least more cyclonic cold might have been worth it and brought something of interest. Instead, what we got was a needless drag of semi winter by night and not quite spring by day, that looked best through the window.

At least the week between 21st and 27th warmed up enough during the day here to enjoy some outdoor activities without layers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Certain folk on here seem to forget, you don't order what weather you would like down to every detail...This April has been cool i admit, record breaking but on the plus dry and with a good deal of sunshine on my travels. Surely this record breaking should be of interest? Just as record heat has been to those who crave it in summer, the last 2 summers prove it. 

Just a thought....We've just had the coldest winter since 2010 i believe, now the coldest Spring, is that correct? If so this happens 12months after the world stopped moving, stopped travelling, stopped polluting by a massive scale. The figures this Summer could be very interesting to those climate sceptics!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Well, having been out and working last April during the lockdown, I took a lot of photos showing the trees coming out for my friends locked away.

The sheer ironic point is that this year they're so far behind. Even this far South normally it would be up to full leaf. Not a chance yet. 

Bank Holiday Monday looks like the Hurricane Charley August BH in 1986! That was grim beyond belief. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
6 minutes ago, philglossop said:

Well, having been out and working last April during the lockdown, I took a lot of photos showing the trees coming out for my friends locked away.

The sheer ironic point is that this year they're so far behind. Even this far South normally it would be up to full leaf. Not a chance yet. 

Bank Holiday Monday looks like the Hurricane Charley August BH in 1986! That was grim beyond belief. 

We've still got bare trees here. Not just "not fully in leaf", bare. It's crazy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
44 minutes ago, markyo said:

Certain folk on here seem to forget, you don't order what weather you would like down to every detail...This April has been cool i admit, record breaking but on the plus dry and with a good deal of sunshine on my travels. Surely this record breaking should be of interest? Just as record heat has been to those who crave it in summer, the last 2 summers prove it. 

Just a thought....We've just had the coldest winter since 2010 i believe, now the coldest Spring, is that correct? If so this happens 12months after the world stopped moving, stopped travelling, stopped polluting by a massive scale. The figures this Summer could be very interesting to those climate sceptics!

Great post...ooh I could crush a grape, I’m so angry with how poor this spring is!!..god damn it all to hell!!!!..why couldn’t we see charts like we have currently in winter..hmm..hmmm?..we have mild mush dominating winter and yet we have never ending polar / arctic incursions in April..what a damn waste..if I didn’t know better I would honestly think the weather has a wicked sense of humour! ...I never post in here and I probably never will again..I prefer the model output discussion don’t you know!..!  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Coldest Jan since 2010, winter as a whole was actually beaten by 2018 I believe (Q1 certainly was). 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

That's my point - we've got these oh so wonderful stats and nothing to show for it, except delayed nature. It's kinda like having a record breakingly warm summer month, and it being cloudier than average with no thunderstorms.

Admittedly, the fact it's been so sunny has meant that what could've been a really foul month, actually turned out very usable for a number of things considering.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

It's kinda like having a record breakingly warm summer month, and it being cloudier than average with no thunderstorms.

That's exactly what i was talking about!...you can't order weather to a exact specification.

Posted

Well May has started on a high note here (23C) but it's all downhill again tomorrow. The average daily maximum is above 20C now, but it looks like we won't reach that figure again for at least another week.

The last two Mays have been poor here (particularly 2019). I really can't be doing with another one. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, HellItsHot said:

The irony of the coldest April since global warming was a lad coinciding with outdoor only pubs will never not be hilarious/totally depressing. 

Many a hospitality venue packing away the chairs and table at 7pm, as its too cold to sit out unless wrapped up for a polar expedition. Heaters cost alot of money and to be honest don't do much..

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, markyo said:

That's exactly what i was talking about!...you can't order weather to a exact specification.

Don't think anyone has said you can...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

One thing I can't believe is the forecast wind gusts for Monday evening.  Met office shows 47mph for my (inland) area, you can usually add 5-10mph onto that (yes it could downgrade still).  Is a very late named storm on the cards?

Edited by SummerShower

Posted

I’m praying for when we get our first taste of plus 24c days, which last longer than a couple of days. 

I can’t wait for a 7-14 day spell of 26-30c, and warmer evenings. Ok, I’ll deal with the warm London Underground, but I’m willing to make that trade for being able to sit in the park, without feeling cold.

You can bet, the coldies will start moaning about it being abnormally hot when the first hot spell arrives sometime in late May or early June.

This year has a 1980 feel to it, which produced a very sunny April and a warm sunny dry mid May period, then it turned cooler, and there was a mini heatwave in early June, which ended with widespread thunderstorms over much of England. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

April wasn’t too bad (Well unless you like gardening as the frosts play havoc with young plants). Just add an extra layer and you are fine. I managed plenty of time outdoors on walks without the concern of getting soaked.
I state this as May starts laughing maniacally at people complaining about what was a pretty dry and sunny month.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

April wasn’t too bad (Well unless you like gardening as the frosts play havoc with young plants). 

Even last spring, there was a damaging frost just after mid April and that was damaging because nature was so advanced by the mild weather that had so predominated.

Only takes one frost and I actually think cold spring weather coming after a mild winter is worse because nature has been advanced. That's why spring 2013 wasn't too bad despite still being in the freeze  into the start of April because nature hardly advanced. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Even last spring, there was a damaging frost just after mid April and that was damaging because nature was so advanced by the mild weather that had so predominated.

Only takes one frost and I actually think cold spring weather coming after a mild winter is worse because nature has been advanced. That's why spring 2013 wasn't too bad despite still being in the freeze  into the start of April because nature hardly advanced. 

I think the main point of interest is that when all said and done, if trees don't properly come into leaf until May, you've essentially only got 4 months of proper greenery. By September, the leaves start to turn again.

Posted
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

You can bet, the coldies will start moaning about it being abnormally hot when the first hot spell arrives sometime in late May or early June.

Wow....moaning about folk moaning about weather in a month's plus time which might not even happen