Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
30 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

I'm just wondering when the last time was that 20 °C was recorded widely in March but not in April. Must be a possibility this year.

I'm not sure about the rest of the country but I wouldn't be surprised if 2012 achieved that. It did here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I keep seeing news articles saying there’s going to be a ‘17 degree heatwave’ What’s particularly warm about 17C?? It’s pleasant but not unusually warm! It’s only going to be a few days of slightly above average temps and then it looks cold again. I think Spring 2021 will be a stinker.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I'm not sure about the rest of the country but I wouldn't be surprised if 2012 achieved that. It did here.

Ah yes, that'll be it. Just checked Trevor Harley's site and apparently the official max for April 2012 was 19.7 °C at Kew - and even that wasn't until the 30th.

Edit: Though I do not hope for a repeat of 2012!

Edited by Arctic Hare
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, HellItsHot said:

Blimey I don’t know what’s worse, this chilly April weather, or the fact if we’d got similar synoptics in Jan/Feb it would have led to some great cold and maybe snowy conditions.  

I know it is only April but it’s frustrating that good hours of sunlight and outside only pubs are being wasted on maxes of 10 degrees. I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve never wanted some decent warmth so much. 

The rather amusing thing is that we did get similar synoptics in January and February... and the conditions at ground level were rather bland at best, albeit cold of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, TheOgre said:

I keep seeing news articles saying there’s going to be a ‘17 degree heatwave’ What’s particularly warm about 17C?? It’s pleasant but not unusually warm! It’s only going to be a few days of slightly above average temps and then it looks cold again. I think Spring 2021 will be a stinker.

17 Celsius would be considered as being a heatwave if it was in February. But for mid to late April that temperature is fairly normal. Some of these newspaper articles don't half like to exaggerate. And no doubt we are going to be hotter than 'insert country here' too.

• Like 1

Any lingering hope of any warm no seems to be completely off the cards. None of the big models have anything materially warm, both ECM & UKMO lining up another cold northerly as early as T120 now. Coldest April CET since 1989 looks nailed on now.

Posted

A minimum of -2.7C this morning, which makes it the 12th air frost of the month.

The coldest this month was -2.8C on the 7th, however we've had 7 minima below -2C. We could have had a couple of colder nights but they ended up having a bit more cloud in the end (so that follows the theme of the winter lol).

That's not really an unusually low temperature for April here, because 8 of the last 14 Aprils have had a minimum of -2.7C or lower (2016 and 2017 both had -2.7C at the end of April which was more damaging with apple blossom etc in full flower).

However we are in a river valley, nearby hillsides etc have had minima around 0/-1C recently.

The lowest was -4.4C in April 2008, my first year of records.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Being 26 years old this is easily the coldest April I've experienced so far. And as each day passes the chance for the CET to increase gets smaller and smaller. 

I do remember snow on the 6th April 2008 and maybe some cold weather April 2006? I also recall April 2001 'not being warm' but my memory is a tad sketchy for then! 

Like a few on here I looked at other years with cold April's to see if there's any patterns for the Summer. 

Result? Can't call it! Fingers crossed for 1989 as it looks good on paper (obviously I was -5 years old then!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I think quite a few of us would take another 1989 - I would! Plus we could then all dream of 2022 being a repeat of 1990, a year which really did have something for almost everyone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

Another beautiful morning here in Yorkshire with hardly a cloud in sky and feeling pleasent already in warm sunshine. 

Long may it continue..... with just the odd shower once in a while for lawn. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

"At least it's dry" I hear. I've hardly seen the sun the last few days, it's not pleasant to be out in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Another supremely sunny day here in Edinburgh. Really enjoying this current spell.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

i will admit the frosts must be tough for gardeners but some of the posts on here have been so melodramatic. perhaps i’m spoilt by location BUT despite feeling cold there has been a great deal of sunshine & it’s been nice to record an anomalously cool month instead of mild. hope the trend continues this way. now if we get a may akin to 2007, 1984, 1983 etc. then maybe i’ll understand the complaints a bit more. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
24 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

i will admit the frosts must be tough for gardeners but some of the posts on here have been so melodramatic. perhaps i’m spoilt by location BUT despite feeling cold there has been a great deal of sunshine & it’s been nice to record an anomalously cool month instead of mild. hope the trend continues this way. now if we get a may akin to 2007, 1984, 1983 etc. then maybe i’ll understand the complaints a bit more. 

I think it's the fact that most days have been completely cloudy in the east and south with chilly temps which is bugging most people whilst comparing it to last April.

It could definitely be a lot worse though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
18 minutes ago, Freeze said:

I think it's the fact that most days have been completely cloudy in the east and south with chilly temps which is bugging most people whilst comparing it to last April.

It could definitely be a lot worse though.

I agree, it could be much worse but also could be better, its good its been dry though bad for flowers and etc but it could be worse say that many of the days could've been like saturday (my location) where it just rained all day. If that wind just wasn't there then this month so far would be quite nice as that sun got some nice warmth to it now when it's out so I don't think it's that bad for now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I agree about some of the post being melodramatic and I have a strong feeling that if it was warmer but unsettled, we'd be getting a similar amount of complaining about the lack of a sustained settled spell.  If we were having a repeat of April 2012 it would be another matter.

My part of Lincoln has so far had plenty of sunshine in this anticyclonic spell but today has become the first cloudy day, cumulus clouds (some of which were large enough to produce showers to my east this morning) spreading out into stratocumulus and not much blue sky left.  The satellite images indicate that it's still clear and sunny over much of Scotland, NW England and Wales though.

Posted

I've lost track on how many air frosts I've had this April. 11 or 12 to be precise. To put it into perspective, for me that's more air frosts than in December 2020 which I thought was a relatively cool month and also the whole winter of 2019/20. Bonkers!

As the CET is currently standing at 5.6 at mid month and with no sustained warm spell coming up, a 6c April is possible if not guaranteed.

• Like 2

Posted

50/50 cloud and sun here today. Tuesday was mostly sunny, Wednesday quickly turned cloudy after a sunny start, yesterday was mostly sunny, and today is quickly turning cloudy again.

Fortunately it's been quite calm here over the last few days but any time out of the sun and it is definitely not April-feeling. Feels more like early-mid March. Find a corner with layers on though and the sun on the face feels nice.

I just wish it would warm up to even average so the countryside can gain a bit of colour! It's nice having walks dry underfoot but things are still looking rather bare...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

And the sunshine has disappeared once again! 

The sunshine makes it just about bearable, as soon as that goes in, the chilly Easterly wind takes control and makes it feel cold.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

And the sunshine has disappeared once again! 

The sunshine makes it just about bearable, as soon as that goes in, the chilly Easterly wind takes control and makes it feel cold.

Doesn't it just and more from that quadrant me thinks looking at the latest outputs.... 

Posted

Would take westerlies over this. At least we would get some April showers/convection/no cold wind/rain for the plants. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Frigid said:

I've lost track on how many air frosts I've had this April. 11 or 12 to be precise. To put it into perspective, for me that's more air frosts than in December 2020 which I thought was a relatively cool month and also the whole winter of 2019/20. Bonkers!

As the CET is currently standing at 5.6 at mid month and with no sustained warm spell coming up, a 6c April is possible if not guaranteed.

There were only 3 air frosts during the meteorological winter of 2013-14, this April has been wintrier than that winter even in terms of snowfalls. 

• Like 3